Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showers in School

Options
  • 28-08-2011 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

My daughters school ( and i would guess most other schools) have only a big open shower room with no privacy so nobody in her class has ever taken a shower after pe. The school has banned spray deodorant this year so we got a letter telling us to tell our kids to consider taking a shower after pe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Roll on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Why ban deodorant?

Were the kids messing with the cans and a lighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Packet of baby wipes, I would'nt blame them for not using communial shower's. There wont be enough time anyway I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Packet of wipes and a roll on deodorant should do her fine... especially if there's hardly any time to shower before the next class.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would shower in a swim suit!

Some people have really bad allergies to spray deodorants, especially asthmatics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Iomib

Yes Asthma was the reason given for the banning of the spray cans. Putting on a swimsuit just to take a shower would be a bit too much trouble. My daughter says she and everybody else hates roll on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Deodorant wipes then or a non aerosol spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Thats absolutely scandalous! You should demand to see scientific proof from them that aerosol is harmful to asthma. They won't have it by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Giruilla wrote: »
    Thats absolutely scandalous! You should demand to see scientific proof from them that aerosol is harmful to asthma. They won't have it by the way...

Trust me it is. Scientific proof is not necessary. I take it you dont know anyone with asthma?

If you speak to most asthmatics they use roll on's for 2 reasons

1. The allergy aspect

2. The skin aspect. The spray causes there skin to badly rash.

Believe it or not. Most baby wipes have the same effect too. Thats why most asthmatics use water wipes on there own kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

A lot of asthmatics don't need to use roll on etc, my fella has bad asthma and spray deos don't affect himat all..however if one kid in the whole school has a reaction to an ingrediant in sprays, then the school has a duty to elimate that risk.

I work in a school, and there are quite a lot of asthmatics, but sprays aren't issues for them, more so stuff like envirnommetal factors, stress, horse/animal hair etc. If someone was to come into the room and spray a deo, or an airfreshner, it's an irritant, to everyone not just asthmatics..

I imagine there is one specific child or even a handful who have reactions to a particle and the school has to provide for them. I would like to see some recent evidence on it, a quick peek on asthma.org mentions nothing... there appears to be nothing concrete out there *that I can find in a quick search online*

• Advertisement

Trust me it is. Scientific proof is not necessary. I take it you dont know anyone with asthma?

If you speak to most asthmatics they use roll on's for 2 reasons

1. The allergy aspect

2. The skin aspect. The spray causes there skin to badly rash.

I've had asthma since I was born. I've never found any adverse affects to using spray, or being around other people while they were using spray. Sorry, but I can't trust you or anyone on it... I'd need to see scientific proof. One of the biggest problems in modern society is allowing people to create and enforce rules based on speculation.

I've become highly convinced that the main cause of asthma is due to the intake of too much oxegen into the lungs which leads to low levels of CO2 in the blood. This leads the body to automatically contract the airwaves, in the hope to stop more oxgen coming in, but has the adverse affect of panicking the person and trying to breath even harder.
    If aerosol is causing the childrens asthma to worsen, I'd imagine it is due to a placebo affect of sorts... they already imagining that the aerosol will worsen their asthma thus raising their stress level.
    If aerosol doesnt affect non-asthmatics, I see no reason why it should affect asthmatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

id say its an excuse to ban it in case of substance abuse or what was prevalent when I was in school, use as a fire thrower when you light the spray with a lighter!!!!

And why cant kids just wait till they are home to wash?
    Ireland is not a hot country (to understate it a bit!) so after a sedate PE session the kids wouldn't be that sweaty at all to be honest.

I've become highly convinced that the main cause of asthma is due to the intake of too much oxegen into the lungs which leads to low levels of CO2 in the blood. This leads the body to automatically contract the airwaves, in the hope to stop more oxgen coming in, but has the adverse affect of panicking the person and trying to breath even harder.

Interesting. Have you spoken to any professionals about this? It borders on the crazy side.

If you truly understand asthma then you know the effects of oxygen.

With the greatest respect, I dont want to get into voodoo medicine here and i said what i need to aerosols do have an effect on asthma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I've had asthma since I was born. I've never found any adverse affects to using spray, or being around other people while they were using spray. Sorry, but I can't trust you or anyone on it... I'd need to see scientific proof. One of the biggest problems in modern society is allowing people to create and enforce rules based on speculation.

If aerosol is causing the childrens asthma to worsen, I'd imagine it is due to a placebo affect of sorts... they already imagining that the aerosol will worsen their asthma thus raising their stress level.
    If aerosol doesnt affect non-asthmatics, I see no reason why it should affect asthmatics.

My hubby has asthma and he has a problem with sprays. Not deoderant thought, with spray polishes and the like. But I guess all asthmatics have different triggers.

OP, our school banned deoderant when we were students (about 20 years ago), so it doesn't come as a surprise...we didn't have showering facilities either, I couldn't imagine you'd have time before the next class?

Interesting. Have you spoken to any professionals about this? It borders on the crazy side.

If you truly understand asthma then you know the effects of oxygen.

With the greatest respect, I dont want to get into voodoo medicine here and i said what i need to aerosols do have an effect on asthma.

Nobody truly understands asthma, if they did there would be a cure for it.
    There is no proof to say that aerosols have an effect on asthma. There have been cases where asthmatics breathing in the presense of aerosol worsen, but guess what,
    there have also been countless cases of asthmatics breathing in the presense of AIR worsen!!

Asthma is as much a psychological problem as it is a physical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Asthma aside I always hated when girls in my class would bring in sprays. They would spray it everywhere, at each other, in people's eyes etc. It has a very strong, invasive smell even to a non asthmatic. I can imagine why teachers wouldn't want it. I can't understand the aversion to roll-ons, especially something natural like this

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Truley wrote: »
    Asthma aside I always hated when girls in my class would bring in sprays. They would spray it everywhere, at each other, in people's eyes etc. It has a very strong, invasive smell even to a non asthmatic. I can imagine why teachers wouldn't want it. I can't understand the aversion to roll-ons, especially something natural like this

I was going to respond with this too. I remember changing after pe and used to find it really difficult with all the sprays from deodrant to the frangrant body sprays (which are a fragrance thing only, not a sweat/perspiration thing). And I'd say I'd find it as bad if I wasn't asthmatic.

I developed an allergy to aerosols when I was about 12 and grew out of it in my 20's, I went from having rare asthma attacks to regular ones as a result.
    I also went to boarding school which didn't help.

Have you proof. You are seriously delusional. Considering babies born who develop asthma quite quickly would not understand this.

With respect i am not doing this any more. It borders on absurd.

Have you proof. You are seriously delusional. Considering babies born who develop asthma quite quickly would not understand this.

With respect i am not doing this any more. It borders on absurd.

What do you want proof for? I'm not trying to enforce a rule in a school. People who enforce idiotic rules in schools like 'banning deoderant because it affects asthmatics' are the ones who should be providing proof.

It's delusional to think you have a right to force obligations and rules on other people which are based purely on speculation and circumstantial evidence.

I see no reason why you think my argument is delusional or absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

mikemac wrote: »
    Why ban deodorant?

Were the kids messing with the cans and a lighter?

That's why they were banned when I went to school.

Baby wipes and a roll on are the answer here.

There were girls in my school that said they didn't like them....so they got called smelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Giruilla, are you trolling? Because it's the only reasonable conclusion when reading your past few posts.

Asthma or not, these sprays can be quite overwhelming. There are plenty of effective alternatives to body sprays, so why take the risk of possibly triggering an asthma attack in a child by allowing these sprays?

Body sprays are fine in the privacy of your own home. But 20-30 kids in an enclosed room all spraying them is just madness. The kids might as well just start 'sniffing' the cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Sprays were banned when I was in Irish college, due to a few lads getting whacked off the solvent fumes, they may be using asthma as a cover rather than putting ideas in the kids heads..

Giruilla, are you trolling? Because it's the only reasonable conclusion when reading your past few posts.

Suprise suprise, was wondering when someone was going to throw that word out. As seems to always happen when people have an opinion that isn't the consensus on boards. Want to explain how its the only reasonable conclusion?
    Asthma or not, these sprays can be quite overwhelming.

My argument is completely centred on using asthma as an excuse to ban sprays. There are plenty of other valid reasons to ban sprays in schools so why not just use them. eg. school saying they fear danger of children spraying deodorant into other pupils eyes, and they also feel they don't have control to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

my brother isn't asthmatic but he is seriously allergic to any sort of fragrances. Air fresheners, scented candles and especially perfumes and deoderants.

We were never allowed aerosols in school because people either were lighting them or sniffing them.
    Baby wipes and deo wipes or a natural deoderant should do the trick. Freshen then up without affecting other students.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Nobody truly understands asthma, if they did there would be a cure for it.
    There is no proof to say that aerosols have an effect on asthma. There have been cases where asthmatics breathing in the presense of aerosol worsen, but guess what,
    there have also been countless cases of asthmatics breathing in the presense of AIR worsen!!

You were already asked for proof of the statement in bold above and couldnt provide it.

Please do not insult people who deal with this debilitating disease with tripe like this.
    Suprise suprise, was wondering when someone was going to throw that word out. As seems to always happen when people have an opinion that isn't the consensus on boards. Want to explain how its the only reasonable conclusion?

My argument is completely centred on using asthma as an excuse to ban sprays. There are plenty of other valid reasons to ban sprays in schools so why not just use them. eg. school saying they fear danger of children spraying deodorant into other pupils eyes, and they also feel they don't have control to stop them.

And why cant the school use it as an excuse?

If a student has had a reaction to a deodorant and there is no information given that this isnt the reason, then why shouldnt it be banned?

You were already asked for proof of the statement in bold above and couldnt provide it.
    I already answered that. I've no need to provide proof as I'm not the one trying to bring a rule in. If you make a claim which forms the basis of a rule or law, then you should need to provide proof.
    Please do not insult people who deal with this debilitating disease with tripe like this.
    I have asthma.

If a student has had a reaction to a deodorant and there is no information given that this isnt the reason, then why shouldnt it be banned?
    Because there is no direct evidence to support either view, but circumstantial evidence to support both views. So why should one view win over the other? This is giving power to fear and speculation rather than proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

I already answered that. I've no need to provide proof as I'm not the one trying to bring a rule in. If you make a claim which forms the basis of a rule or law, then you should need to provide proof.

I have asthma.

Because there is no direct evidence to support either view, but circumstantial evidence to support both views. So why should one view win over the other? This is giving power to fear and speculation rather than proof.

YOU made the above statement of fact. If you cant back up your utterances, dont post them.

I also have asthma and have had since I was a baby. I find it deeply offensive that you are insinuating that asthma sufferers have a psychological problem. Do other disease sufferers also have psychological problems?

Are you saying that if a student has had a reaction to a deodorant, that this isnt enough DIRECT evidence for them to be banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

When I was in school (finished 8 years ago), the changing rooms got done up and went from having cubicle showers (no door or anything but three walls) to an open shower area just off the dressing room. The rule with both the old and new shower facilities was that everybody had to have a shower for hygiene reasons. PE class had to finish early enough so that there was time for this.

Is this the case anywhere anymore or are children allowed to decide whether they shower or not? Obviously deodorant will only serve to cover up any body odour.

I think the school are right to ban spray deodorant if it has affected anybody at all. I am ok with deodorant but polishes and other sprays cause my asthma to flare up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Schools put all sorts of rules in place for all sorts of reasons. If you don't like them find a school where the rules are suitable for you. Mountain and molehill are the words that come to mind here.

Advertisement