Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning: Leaving bikes at Cowper Luas Stop

Options
  • 28-08-2011 8:43pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up, my brothers bike has been taken from this luas stop (The stop is quiet but it has dedicated bike racks). This time last year another of his bikes was taken (probably for back to school sales), just a heads up, it seems to be a problem with this stop, luckily insurance will cover the bike this time.
    I know this wont apply to most but some people may use this stop daily so said I'd put up a post here

Nick
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

A friend has had two bikes stolen from the Stillorgan Luas stop

Best advice if thinking of leaving a bike all day at a station - get an crock of a bike that no one will want to steal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

homer911 wrote: »
    A friend has had two bikes stolen from the Stillorgan Luas stop

Best advice if thinking of leaving a bike all day at a station - get an crock of a bike that no one will want to steal

Or leave it across the road or up the road a little if there is somewhere to leave it.

It's very obvious for any thieves out there that bikes locked at luas stops are more than likely to be there for a few hours at least, so the chances of being disturbed by the owner are slim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Anywhere in Dublin is dodgy for bikes locked.

What sort of lock are you using? Surely they aren't getting through a U lock?!? Use a stainless steel padlock & chain or U lock & at least you'll have a frame when you return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

whitesands wrote: »
    Anywhere in Dublin is dodgy for bikes locked.

What sort of lock are you using? Surely they aren't getting through a U lock?!? Use a stainless steel padlock & chain or U lock & at least you'll have a frame when you return.

A u lock and something that will coil around the rest of bike is a minimum, also removing something will also help. There is no bike too crappy for a thief. If it can be pedalled, there is a good chance it could be taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I would report it to one of the companys in charge of it, veolia is the company in charge of running the luas on behalf of the r.p.a. Who are the main company for the luas,
    or possibly the guards all the stops have cctv.
    no harm in dropping them an email to make them aware, it wont be fixed until its highlighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ulocks are very easy to open Google bic pen lock open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ted1 wrote: »
    Ulocks are very easy to open Google bic pen lock open.

:rolleyes:
    This was only a problem with some fairly old type of ulocks with tubular locks (2006 and older). Any decent ulock nowadays will not have a tubular lock so will not suffer from this flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ulfilas

I had two failed attempts from a thief to cut my Kryptonite and ABUS (best American and European U lock) in that Luas Stop.

One time I just saw the pathetic signs of the attempt in my Kryptonite the other time he had turned my bike upside down to try and get a better grip he managed to break the plastic part but not the metal, bike is still there with me.

Both times I had left my bike more than 2 days overnight (weekend) , since then I stopped doing that and have moved to Milltown to lock my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ulfilas wrote: »
    he had turned my bike upside down to try and get a better grip he managed to break the plastic part but not the metal,
    that could be a twist attack, using the bike itself as leverage. See them doing it at the 50sec mark here

No lock with withstand a cordless mini angle grinder, which the scum can steal from aldi or lidl. They are simply slowed down by good locks, and they will have to make 2 cuts on well designed ones.

Many people will buy decent locks but use poor locking techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ulfilas

Nope that was not the case, I saw the cutter marks on my locks or he could think he could break it with a twist attack. However ABUS GRANIT is the best European lock out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement