Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray deck

• 28-08-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Newbies to kayaking, some river & some sea trips and was wondering whether you can get a spray deck that fits both river and sea kayaks ?

We dont have our own boats but was out recently on sea without decks and practicing curbing we took in a lot of water.

We will end up doing a mainly river kayaking but have a sea kayaking holiday coming up and want to get something we can use got both.

Can anyone advise what we can get please ?

Thanks,
    Saz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

most r4 decks will fit most boats....but I don't know much about sea kayak cock pit sizes. My r4 palm deck fit onto a wilderness systems sea kayak.....if you're just beginning try a nylon deck they're usually adjustable for different sized cockpits.. and a bit cheaper too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Chances are you wont get a neoprene spraydeck to fit both a river kayak and sea kayak as river kayaks tend to be R4/R5 were sea kayaks tend to be keyhole type cockpits.

But there is the option of a nylon spray deck that can be adjusted from the back, making you able to tighten and loosen the spray deck. Only problem with these is that they would not be as strong as a neoprene deck so depending on the level of the water your in this could cause problems.

Hope this was of some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I have used a Big Deck Nookie Shock & Latex on Sea Kayaks (Wilderness Systems, Rainbow Laser and Aquanaut Valley) as well as white water/river boats (Dagger RPM, Liquid Logix Lil Joe, Dagger Redline). It was fine on all of them (if a bit inflexible to start).

Advertisement