Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use Talc?

Options
  • 28-08-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

My LO is 10weeks and I've been very careful with what I'd put on her skin, no products etc but I want to start using some of the Johnson bath things we got as gifts. However for some reason I have an aversion to using talc? I've read it can be linked to asthma. Does anyone use it on their babies? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Caldescene is the only talc that I have used on my 2.
    Johnsons baby products are a little harsh on some babies skin. I use them for my 2 year old but not my 7 month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Oh Thanks for the reply!! I've still not used anything bar water on her skin, she has never needed anything on her bum yet either but a few people are saying I'm being too careful. Her skin looks flawless, not too dry, not sore etc. so should I bother using anything yet? She loves her bath but I've heard that putting product in it can cause urinary infections?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I always put a bit of bubble bath in their baths.
    I used baby wipes from the day #2 was born and from when #1 was 4 days old.
    When number 2 was smaller could only use the green or brown huggies wipes and can not use Aldi nappies and only 1 sort of nappy cream works on her.
    No issues with Burts Bees baby wash though and boots sensitive baby bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

If it ain't broke don't fix it! I only used cotton wool and water on my lad for the first 6 weeks, then used wipes for 2 days and my god did I regret it. He immediately broke out in severe nappy rash and it took about 3 weeks for it to subside. I used some of those 'pure as water' wipes, clearly, they were not as pure as the water from our bathroom tap. I went back to cotton wool/water again after that and only switched to wipes when he was about 5 months and started solids. When he was a bit older he'd sometimes get a bit scaldy from new foods - then I'd use caldescene powder and sudocreme. These days (he's 2) he gets a quick sprinkle of baby powder after a bath or if he was a bit damp after a nappy change. We've never really had problems since that first outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Oh sorry I didn't mean I don't use wipes, I used only water wipes until recently and now I'm using Johnsons no problems now. I just don't know should I be using nappy cream ev en though she has no rash? Baby lotion even though her skin is grand? As you can tell, I'm just a new mammy and don't want to over expose her to harsh products unnecessarily! :)

• Advertisement

I only use nappy cream or caldescene when there is a rash or signs of one.
    Everyone is different though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

+1 to Cat - if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it or you'll wreck the whole thing.

Don't ever feel you "have" to use lotions/powders/etc when nothing's wrong. Your babe's healthy & happy...go with that & don't play with stuff that might upset the whole natural balance she already has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Great site for checking whats in products and effects they can have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm the same I have a massive J&J hamper, never used, had tocover it as the bottles have dust on them!

She's 11m, up until 3 months ago I used only water and cotton wool. She's never had nappy rash. I have used, in the past 2 months a squeeze of Infacare on her sponge in the bath. She has cradle cap so I got shampoo for her that I used every 3 days.

Other than that she has never had any sort of nappy rash or any rash. Maybe when her nappies are fuller, I might start using all that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Caldescene!! It is a miracle worker! One hint of nappy rash, zap it with caldescene and by the next nappy change it's gone! I only ever use it when I see a nappy rash developing, I don't use any other creams or anything like that.

I used cotton wool and water on his little bottom when he was born...I don't know when or why I started using the wipes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I found Caldasene great for when the folds in his neck got all sore but I've never used any powder on his bum..

I've used cotton wool and valeline since he was born and never had any problems.. if he ever gets a little red I use Sudocreme and that always does the trick..

If it's a particularly messy poo I used wipes but always use wet cotton wool straight after to get the babywipe 'juice' off him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Be careful with any talcum powder 'down there' with little girls. I read somewhere that it has been linked to fertility problems later in life as the particles are small enough to travel up and cause problems.

Also in relation to nappy rash, during teething it can be a problem and not because of any products or wipes that you may or may not use! When teething, babies produce a type of acid in their saliva which helps to break down the gums. Obviously this is also ingested and can make urine and poop more acidic which can cause the nappy rash. Vaseline is a great barrier and very natural and gentle on the skin.

Advertisement