Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd hand piano

• 28-08-2011 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a second hand piano (budget approx €1000) for Xmas. Any advice as to what I need to look out for/avoid?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭pavb2

Didn't know anything about pianos when I bought mine about 7 years ago but went to Jeffers of Bandon who had loads in stock and gave me great advice not regretted it. They also said if I upgraded they'd give back price of the piano.

No connection with company BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Bazbu wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a second hand piano (budget approx €1000) for Xmas. Any advice as to what I need to look out for/avoid?

Thanks in advance

For that money i'd much prefer an electric Yamaha...sounds very realistic, feels so like a real one, I have both so

If you want a 'real' piano...for a grand...good luck finding a good one.

pay a piano tuner to come with you , that will cost you 100.

avoid honly tonk piano...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

I want to get a tuner to look at a piano a relative has before I move it to my house.

If he sees it, says it can be tuned, & then tunes it in situ, will the process of (carefully) moving the piano & transport between locations require a further tuning when it lands in its new home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

Flanagans in Mount Merrion in Dublin appear to be having a closing-down sale. They have a number of older pianos at discounted prices now. Don't know how good they are but Flanagans have sold pianos for years and years so I would say they are ok at worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

If you are buying a second hand piano, buy from a reliable shop or get someone who knows their stuff about tuning, etc. to check it for you. My wife was given a piano from her home place which she always thought was decent instrument. However, when the guy came to tune it he said it was impossible to properly tune and would need to be re-strung to get it in a tunable condition. We will probably have to give it away to get rid of it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement