Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me about alternators?

• 28-08-2011 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hello,
    I am hoping to get some advice on an alternator - it is related to this thread on doing up a BMW D12 single-cylinder deisel engine - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056367658.

Basically, this engine has an alternator built into the flywheel with magnets and coils etc, and apparently they inevitabely pack up and are weak to begin with. And about a third of this alternator was under water for about eitht years. So, I want to try and cobble a car alternator onto the engine. I don't know much about electrics but am reasonable at the mechanics - I think I can get a pulley onto the end of the crankshaft for a drive.

1) do car alternators work both ways? (the engine turns anti-clockwise, looking at the 'pulley')
    2) is there any make of old car (or alternator) with a particurlarly small and tidy alternator?
    3) at what rpm do they work best at (I presume that idling speed of the engine would be around 1,000 rpm and I would need to adjust the pulleys to suit)
    4) how much should I pay for one?
    5) I understand that I would need a regulator as well - where in a car is this usually (I don't even know what they look like)

Thanks, in anticipation .......

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is a difference between car and marine alternators the marine ones are spark resistant so they won't set light to fumes that can build in the bilge, the regulator is built into most of them and the easiest to set up would be a single wire one that is self exciting meaning you don't need to charge it to get it to work. Depending on how many amps you need and what output the alternator has you should be ok with 1000 rpm at the engine making the alt turn at 2000-3000.
    This is just a rough price range.http://stores.ebay.ie/Repower-Marine-UK/Marine-Alternators-/_i.html?_fsub=16394530

Advertisement