Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK trained, please read.

• 28-08-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but I hope some people read it anyway. Just a couple of things I'd like to know.

I'm training to be a Primary teacher in the UK (last of LC points) and I'm going into my final year. Many people have said that I (and other Irish students) and much better being trained over there and that schools love UK trained teachers; I'd just like to know if there is any truth in this does anyone know.

Also, (this should probably go in a different section but...)
    I definitely do not have líofa Gaeilge at the moment, so I'd like to change this asap. I have one more year of training left, and idealy I would only like to stay another year or two after that in the UK before coming home to teach here. What's the best way of improving Irish? (without moving to the Gaeltacht) I've been looking at possible courses that I could do, but I'm finding it hard to find anything. I found lots of master type levels but this isn't what I'm looking for; I'm looking for a course that is for the intermediate type level that aims to allow learners the opportunity to become fluent.... Maybe a level 6/7 postgrad, I'm not sure really.

Thanks for reading, any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hi everyone,

Hello:)
    I'm training to be a Primary teacher in the UK (last of LC points) and I'm going into my final year. Many people have said that I (and other Irish students) and much better being trained over there and that schools love UK trained teachers; I'd just like to know if there is any truth in this does anyone know.
    That's a very dangerous, and most likely inaccurate assumption to make. I realise you might have heard it from others. To be honest, I have never heard of principals preferring UK trained teachers, and I most certainly haven't heard teachers themselves offering this opinion. Looking at it from a purely objective viewpoint, I would actually say the opposite is true. Those who are trained in Ireland are trained specifically in the Irish curriculum- the methodologies recommended by the DES, the time allocations, class content etc. etc. The Irish language and how it is taught receives specific instruction. It's tailored specifically for teaching in Ireland, as I'm sure British qualifications are tailored to teach in the UK.

I must declare a vested interest: I'm currently doing a B.Ed in Ireland. However, what I've said above is what would make common sense to me. I'm not saying it to 'keep you out the club' or anything like that. Others may disagree.
    :)
    Also, (this should probably go in a different section but...)
    I definitely do not have líofa Gaeilge at the moment, so I'd like to change this asap. I have one more year of training left, and idealy I would only like to stay another year or two after that in the UK before coming home to teach here.
    On returning you will have to complete the Scrúdú le haghaidh Cáilíochta sa Ghaeilge exam. Bear in mind that with a very congested jobs market, the fact that you will not yet be qualified to teach Irish straight away militate against you. Around 2000 (:eek:) primary teachers are trained here every year, and as it stands they are just piling up on top of each other. An increase in the pupil teacher ratio is likely in the December Budget, which will throw another few teachers on the pile.

You can find out more about the SCG here: http://www.ilrweb.ie . There is another method of getting qualified in Irish, called the OCG, but I'm not very familiar with it.
    What's the best way of improving Irish? (without moving to the Gaeltacht) I've been looking at possible courses that I could do, but I'm finding it hard to find anything. I found lots of master type levels but this isn't what I'm looking for; I'm looking for a course that is for the intermediate type level that aims to allow learners the opportunity to become fluent.... Maybe a level 6/7 postgrad, I'm not sure really.
    TBH I don't think there's any point at all in doing a postgrad. Most if not all postgrads would not be aimed at learners. What you need is practice so that you can pass your SCG exam.

To improve your Irish, listen to RnaG/TG4 regularly, read Irish newspapers (www.foinse.ie and www.gaelsceal.ie - both are free), start with the basics if you don't know them. Some people recommend buying primary school Irish books as a way of getting a grasp of it if they're very out of practice. It might not be easy if you're not in the country, but SPEAK the language. Join a ciorcal cómhra when you're at home. You can practice Irish writing on the forum at www.foramnagaeilge.com (it's like an Irish version of this site). Most people would get grinds as well, but a lot can be done on your own. Regular practice is what's needed.

Learning a language is liking driving: Cramming won't work.

Go n-éirí leat!

PS: You will find http://forum.educationposts.ie/ very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Thanks for the detailed reply dam...
    What you've said makes total sense about the courses being designed around the DES specifications and what not; but just lots of people, including teachers (some trained in the UK too but many here in Ireland) have offered the opinion that by training in the UK gives a person a better trainee teacher programme (obviously depending on the individual colleges and so on). I think one of the main differences is that there is greater emphases placed on schools experiences, but I may be wrong. I have only gone through the Irish education system as a pupil and not as a teacher so cannot really comment as I don't know what is expected from trainees here.
    Thanks for not kicking me out of the club just yet!

I know about the dreaded SCG that I'll have to do over a period of five years and I think that the OCG is more kind of continuous over three years, but I'm not too sure on that. There seems to be a lack of info. If anyone has done the OCG could they comment please?

In relation to what you've said about the Irish, I do actually do a lot of this and I do have a love the language. I just wish I could get it into my head quicker and I wish it was used in the open and in public places more too. Maybe I'll have to get friendly with some Beán an tí's when I'm home.

I wish I was just doing my training here to be honest. I wanted Marino, but oh well. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Thanks for the detailed reply dam...
    What you've said makes total sense about the courses being designed around the DES specifications and what not; but just lots of people, including teachers (some trained in the UK too but many here in Ireland) have offered the opinion that by training in the UK gives a person a better trainee teacher programme (obviously depending on the individual colleges and so on). I think one of the main differences is that there is greater emphases placed on schools experiences, but I may be wrong.
    There are too many ifs and buts to talk about really. The same way that there are ifs and buts about which is the best teacher training college in Ireland. There's lots of hearsay around the topic. There's not much point in thinking about it - we will all be employed or unemployed or own merits when it comes to the crunch.
    I know about the dreaded SCG that I'll have to do over a period of five years and I think that the OCG is more kind of continuous over three years, but I'm not too sure on that. There seems to be a lack of info. If anyone has done the OCG could they comment please?
    The OCG is much less commonly done, that's why there isn't much info on it. If you look at the forum on edposts you might find more on it.
    In relation to what you've said about the Irish, I do actually do a lot of this and I do have a love the language. I just wish I could get it into my head quicker and I wish it was used in the open and in public places more too. Maybe I'll have to get friendly with some Beán an tí's when I'm home.
    Well that's great to hear. It's likely there's a lot more going in than you realise! Try thinking in Irish if you can't talk to somebody. Like if you're going round the house on your own doing stuff, you might say 'táim chun na gréithe a ní anois, agus ansin blá blá blá'. It might sound a bit crazy, but I found it worked well for me!

If you do go to the Gaeltacht, make sure it's not just to admire the scenery. You'll need to speak as much as you can, make a genuine effort. It might sound obvious, but sometimes I think people expect to suddenly start spouting Irish prose on passing the 'An Ghaeltacht' sign.
    I wish I was just doing my training here to be honest. I wanted Marino, but oh well. :(

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are plenty of English-trained teachers in the system. Though you mightn't want to stay in England, at least you'll be able to get some experience there before coming home - something many NQTs are finding very hard to do at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Brookie123

As a teacher, I often find principals prefer Irish trained teachers as they are trained with the Irish curriculum in mind and know all the strands & strand units etc & more importantly have Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

brónaim cád- Have you tried looking to see if there is a Conradh na Gaeilge in your area in the UK? I live in Manchester and there are 2 different Irish language groups that meet weekly so why not join something like this? Very informal but a great way to practice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

dambarude wrote: »
    Hello:)

That's a very dangerous, and most likely inaccurate assumption to make. I realise you might have heard it from others. To be honest, I have never heard of principals preferring UK trained teachers, and I most certainly haven't heard teachers themselves offering this opinion. Looking at it from a purely objective viewpoint, I would actually say the opposite is true. Those who are trained in Ireland are trained specifically in the Irish curriculum- the methodologies recommended by the DES, the time allocations, class content etc. etc. The Irish language and how it is taught receives specific instruction. It's tailored specifically for teaching in Ireland, as I'm sure British qualifications are tailored to teach in the UK.

I agree with you dambarude - I've never, ever heard of that before. It's a very strange thing to say - why on earth would principals prefer teachers who are trained in a completely different education system? Not a criticism of the UK system, but really wondering where this idea came from.

Advertisement