Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat dirtying around the house

• 28-08-2011 10:15pm

Asking this on behalf of a friend. Her eight year old cat started to poo in the hallway while she was on holiday for a week. She put it down to the stress of being fed by someone else. (Although I met the cat, he's the most friendly cat in the world). Since she came back a few months ago, he hasn't stopped. He was always clean and used the litter tray in the bathroom. (They are indoor apartment cats, three of them, two 8 year old neutered males and one four year old spayed female). There is nothing physically wrong with him, he just seems to have got into a bad habit. When she catches him squatting in the hall, she picks him up and puts him in the box. That doesn't deter him from next time. He is well old enough that it's not a lack of awareness that is making him do it!

Any suggestions? She is going to put their food bowls out in the hall, hoping he wouldn't poo where he eats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The food in the hall is a good idea, just be careful he doesn't move to another spot.
    Your friend could also try adding another litter tray.
    Cats are known for their dirty protests when they don't like something, but are you sure there isn't something wrong?
    Also the hall could be a stress point for him, she could try a DAP plugin for cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Perhaps try using a second litter tray? Sometimes cats don't like sharing the same tray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Yes get at least 2 more litter boxes. One between 3 is not enough.

I have 2 cats and have 3 litter boxes around the house and this works well.

Also cats love routine - so when your friend left he got stressed and stopped going in the box, the cat wont return as it associates this with the owner leaving. Maybe move the litter box to another location.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

also have ye changed litter type ?

found when our local pet place ran out of our litter that 1 of my cats didnt like the substitute litter.

pain in the ass trying to find baby powder smelling cat litter in limerick :)

At no point did I say the cats shared one tray between three! They have one each and always have had.

• Advertisement

I assumed they had a tray each, the recommendation is one each plus one extra.
    Your friend could move one to the hall.
    The DAP plugins are supposed to be great, they release a scent the cats can smell that has a calming effect, if he is stressed about the hall area, it may help.
    Also has your friend changed food?
    Is there any change in his poop? More? Softer? firmer?
    Cats can be slow to show any sign of illness, so its worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

A very basic tip, but clean the bejeesus out of the place where he did go... but not with bleach as that can regester as 'my usual place' in cat/dog brains.

Feeding in the area was a good tip - that should have an impact, and of course, making sure that the litter in the tray is clean and fresh (preferably of his normal brand)

Kash wrote: »
    A very basic tip, but clean the bejeesus out of the place where he did go... but not with bleach as that can regester as 'my usual place' in cat/dog brains.

I was advised with pups to clean pee or poop spots with washing powder and warm water, has to be bio, not non bio. Something to do with enzymes or something, it works, I've also used it where the neighbours un-neutered tom likes to spray on my door. It stopped him (in combination with a water pistol), and then all his friends stinking my house out.
    Just rinse it well.

Thanks guys. Hopefully my friend can resolve this soon. She lives in Denmark so I don't get to see the cats often so that might explain why I'm a bit vague with the details.

I have passed on to her your advice and hopefully she will she a change in his behavior soon.

Advertisement