Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year subject choice?

• 28-08-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

OK so I'm going into 5th year Tuesday but I'm almost sure I won't get my subject choice, I want to do Physics, Tech Graph and Chemistry in school (French is compulsory) and Music outside school (I originally wanted to do physics outside of school but I was told there isn't enough people for a music class in school). My school is fairly small so I know there will only be one class in Tech Graph and Physics and maybe 2 in Chemistry but probably not, so it would be nothing short of a miracle if I got all of my subjects. But I'm reluctant to change from my choices, firstly I like them and secondly I need to do them, because I might decided to go towards Medicine in college (hence the two Sciences) but if I don't I'll go for something to do with Engineering (which I've been told I'd be mad not to do physics for even though it isn't a requirement). Now I' fairly into Maths (I'm planning to do higher level) and so I was wondering would it be a good idea to replace Music with applied Maths, can anyone tell what it was like, was it easy or what?

I was also thinking that if I didn't get my subjects that I could do whichever two I can do in school and then another outside school (it would probably end up costing the same if I did Physics outside of school seeing as the physics teacher has somewhat of a 'reputation' and we were factoring in grinds in 6th year anyway) along with either music or applied maths.

Also has anyone experience with McGinn tuition in Ballincollig,Cork or Cork City Music College (not the school of music). I know some people don't want to comment on them publicly so feel free to PM me.

Also if anyone wants to just generally advise me on my subject choices feel free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Hi Eurovisionmad

If you want to do medicine you will have to do two science subjects and one of them must be chemistry. I do physics, chemistry and biology myself and I find them enjoyable. I do physics outside of school and it is very manageable, I do a grind for an hour once a week. I'd say physics is probably one of the easiest subjects you could do outside of school, especially if you are logically minded. For engineering I'd say physics would definately be beneficial, but applied maths even more so.

Don't go mad, doing too many extra subjects, because it would be hard to find enough time to study them all at a good level to be doing well in those subjects. Are you doing any ordinary level subjects? If you are that will lighten the load a bit on the other subjects, but you will still be safe points wise with your extra subject(s).

If you're ever looking for notes, I just launched a website studyscience.ie , this summer with good quality leaving cert notes for physics, chemistry and biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Neodymium wrote: »
    Hi Eurovisionmad

If you want to do medicine you will have to do two science subjects and one of them must be chemistry. I do physics, chemistry and biology myself and I find them enjoyable. I do physics outside of school and it is very manageable, I do a grind for an hour once a week. I'd say physics is probably one of the easiest subjects you could do outside of school, especially if you are logically minded. For engineering I'd say physics would definately be beneficial, but applied maths even more so.

Don't go mad, doing too many extra subjects, because it would be hard to find enough time to study them all at a good level to be doing well in those subjects. Are you doing any ordinary level subjects? If you are that will lighten the load a bit on the other subjects, but you will still be safe points wise with your extra subject(s).

If you're ever looking for notes, I just launched a website studyscience.ie , this summer with good quality leaving cert notes for physics, chemistry and biology.

Thanks for the advice about Applied maths. Don't worry I won't go mad with extra subjects I'm going for a maximum of 8, and I might drop to ordinary in either English or French (both of which I'm only ok at) but I'm making no fast decisions yet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Neodymium wrote: »
    Hi Eurovisionmad

that site is excellent, well done!!!

Advertisement