Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red velvet cake

Options
  • 28-08-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Before I try to make this, I'd like to eat it as I've never had it. Can anyone recommend a good place to eat it in Dublin. As far as I know, I've never seen it here. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Tesco have red velvet cupcakes, basically just plain cake dyed red, spoon of cocoa added but doesn't have much effect. Normally cream cheese frosting like on carrot cake. Vastly overrated imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

They're nice enough - the cream cheese frosting is fab - but a decent chocolate cake is nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nyarlthotepful

I guess they must look much nicer than they taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Friend baked this and in truth it wasn't great, defo prefer chocolate, lemon, orange, toffee, carrot basically everything else over it. Looks great though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

I tasted "Red Velvet Cupcakes" by a company called Vanilla Bean Bakery www.vanillabeanbakery.ie I can honestly say they are FABULOUS.....defo recommend them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Have you baked it yet, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lorraine Pascale made Red Velvet Cake on her recent BBC show Baking Made Easy. She did a 3-tier cake - I made the middle sized one myself, and it turned out really well.

It's not a brilliant cake in it's own right, but it's the colour that looks fabulous, especially if you ice it with something like a cream cheese frosting.

Advertisement