Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension question

Options
  • 28-08-2011 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

I am a non EU citizen and I have been working in Ireland during the past 4 years. During these 4 years I have been contributing to my company's pension scheme (defined contribution).

Now, I am planning to go home for good. Last week, I asked a HR staff in my company whether I can cash out my contribution when I leave Ireland or not and she told me No. She also said that because I have been in employment in Ireland for more than 2 years, the only option available to me is to leave the money in the scheme until when I reach 60.

Does anyone know if what the HR staff said above is correct or not? Also, which authority should I contact to ask about my circumstance?

All responses are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

As far as I am aware if you are a non eu citizen you can cash it in but you will pay tax on it. EU citizens can transfer it but cant cash it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dany01

Hi Cookie1977,

Thank you very much for your response! At least it gives me some hope that I can get some of my money out of the scheme before I leave Ireland. I will contact the Tax Revenue to see if they can give me an answer on this.

Thanks again!

Advertisement