Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407

Options
  • 28-08-2011 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

I have no idea about cars but the time has come for me to say goodbye to my old one and go in search of a replacement.

I found a peugeot 407, its an 07 with 35K miles. Its a 1.6 diesel. Seems to be in very good condition. They are asking for 9300, does that seem like I am getting ripped off or would it be considered a good deal?

Should add I have test drove the car and found it to be a really comfortable spin.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

I really don't like the 407

Try and find a low mileage 406 around the place or a Skoda Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I really don't like the 407

Try and find a low mileage 406 around the place or a Skoda Octavia.

Brilliant logic there. You don't like it, so someone else who does shouldn't buy it

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Peugeots are always comfortable and a really nice car to drive. Would I spend 9300 on this one probably not. Would do a lot of research on the 407 diesel before I would commit to buying , can be a bit troublesome and are always difficult to move , that is why they seem good value secondhand:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Would I spend 9300 on this one probably not.

What would you consider to be a better buy?
    Would do a lot of research on the 407 diesel before I would commit to buying

What kind of research? And How?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Changed my car last week - went for a lexus but was looking at 407's for my OH. Dealer I bought from told me to avoid them like the plague (and he had one in stock) - seemingly they are very unreliable. I have no other info about this but deffo worth checking out reliability before buying.

9300 is too expensive IMO, you'll get them cheaper - what one are you looking at? Any link? I've seen top of the range 07's for less than that...

Other cars in that price rage would include 06BMW 3-series, 06 Honda Accord, 06 Lexus (I just got an IS250 last weekend), 07Ford Mondeo, 07 Passat,07 Volvo S40 etc. Just a few options you could look at if the Puegot doesn't work out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

the 1.6 diesle unit in them is'nt the best in the world.......there's better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Turbos give problems with them, think €9,300 is a bit on the steep side for it.
    What about a Mondeo diesel?

9300 is too expensive IMO, you'll get them cheaper - what one are you looking at? Any link? I've seen top of the range 07's for less than that...

http://www.rochfordmotors.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=131005585725792&message=Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=74658733&CFTOKEN=36019825

There is a couple of 08's for the same money, cheaper road tax too. Higher mileage though

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot...t?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot...t?channel=CARS

Would you really consider them better value goven the difference in mileage??

I might check out the mondeos. Havent looked too much at them

• Advertisement

avoid them 407's.........look at mondeos, avensis etc in that segment

Would you really consider them better value goven the difference in mileage??

I might check out the mondeos. Havent looked too much at them

No not particularly, again the 1.6 diesels do give problems. Mondeos would be a bit more expensive.

No not particularly, again the 1.6 diesels do give problems. Mondeos would be a bit more expensive.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, Im pretty much looking for something < 10k.

Anybody have anything good to say about peugeot 407 to give some balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

If you are paying that much money for a second hand diesel. It is essential that you get at least a 6 month warranty and service history on the vehicle would be preferrable ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

I have no idea about cars but the time has come for me to say goodbye to my old one and go in search of a replacement.

I found a peugeot 407, its an 07 with 35K miles. Its a 1.6 diesel. Seems to be in very good condition. They are asking for 9300, does that seem like I am getting ripped off or would it be considered a good deal?

Should add I have test drove the car and found it to be a really comfortable spin.

How many miles do you do per year mate ?
    If it's less 15k i'd think about getting a petrol, you'll find a nice low mileage one for a lot less, and they are cheaper to maintain, with less to go wrong. The 407 is not half as bad as people make out, it's not perfect, but it has no more issues than the groupthink VW Passat.

How many miles do you do per year mate ?
    If it's less 15k i'd think about getting a petrol, you'll find a nice low mileage one for a lot less, and they are cheaper to maintain, with less to go wrong. The 407 is not half as bad as people make out, it's not perfect, but it has no more issues than the groupthink VW Passat.

I averaged out at about 20k a year with my last car (for the last 4 years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

I averaged out at about 20k a year with my last car (for the last 4 years)

You're probably in diesel territory right enough. Search for other 407 diesel threads here, the opinons are not all bad. As for the price, it's about right, you might get one for about 300/400 less, not much more, and you'll only find 407 and Vectra's diesels at that year / price / mileage combination.

Other options are to move your budget up to 12k, or look at cars with miles up to 60-80k (look for cars with the timing belt done, or will be done for you as part of the deal) Or if your own car has 80k on it, and the timing belt has been done, and it has no issues, i'd keep it untill near the next belt is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

35k miles is super low for a 4 year old diesel car. I'd want to see some hard evidence (verified service history) that it is genuine. Assuming it is genuine low mileage you then have the potential for issues with the DPF as DPFs don't like short runs and can get easily blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Personally I'd always be leaning towards the Citroen variant if a Peugeot was on the cards. In this case the C5. Nicer interior and hydropneumatic suspention is just better in every way. They are fitting springs nowadays too though **shudder** so high spec models are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

I would be of the opinion that 9.3k for an 07 407 is a bit rich. My wife drives a 407 coupe (it's an 07 reg also) and while I realise they're different cars, they, I assume, are quite similar mechanically etc. Touch wood, there have been no problems to date and it's a really nice car to drive (I convinced her to buy it - I prefer 2 doors to 4 for some reason!). Anyway, my only advise is that it needs to be serviced regularly, especially if diesel. The price though, nearly 10k for a nearly 5 year old run-of-the-mill 407 saloon, for me, would be a no-go. I wouldn't pay more than 5-6k max to be honest - I understand it's low mileage but regardless of that, there are many other similar type cars (especially in those years when people were buying new cars willy nilly!) available at lower prices. As per a post above, I'd check the mileage - sometimes a car can be under-used and that's not good either.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

They are a good enough car...floating flywheel can be dear enough to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I'm not sure that I agree with the discrimination against the Peugeot because of it's badge, I mean they are near identical to the C5. However if you want a cheap diesel car at the moment it seems that French cars are the place to look... I would agree that 35k in four years is a bit too low so I would check its history carefully..having said that I have just found this car online within your budget, its well specced too...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C5/SERIES-2/201133204003624/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

bazz26 wrote: »
    35k miles is super low for a 4 year old diesel car. I'd want to see some hard evidence (verified service history) that it is genuine. Assuming it is genuine low mileage you then have the potential for issues with the DPF as DPFs don't like short runs and can get easily blocked.

That garage are 100% legit but they are very pricey.

166man wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I agree with the discrimination against the Peugeot because of it's badge, I mean they are near identical to the C5. However if you want a cheap diesel car at the moment it seems that French cars are the place to look... I would agree that 35k in four years is a bit too low so I would check its history carefully..having said that I have just found this car online within your budget, its well specced too...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C5/SERIES-2/201133204003624/advert?channel=CARS

yer wha? , an old model C5:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

For those who dont know, ford snd peugeot share diesel engines.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    For those who dont know, ford snd peugeot share diesel engines.

and volvo

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kermitpwee wrote: »
    That garage are 100% legit but they are very pricey.

I'm not questioning the integraty of the garage selling the car. I'm questioning the validity of a 4 year old diesel car with only 35k miles on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Zoltar1

I have an 07 407 Solaire Diesel with 200k+ KM on the clock, and a 08 Mondeo 1.8 Petrol.
    I'd go for the 407 if you prefer comfort and extras - you get a lot of bang for your buck with the 407, Peugeot developed the 407 to compete in the exec car market and so do so added a lot of extras as standard. Auto lights & wipers, electric windows, mirrors sun roof (Solaire), bluetooth etc etc. Its fantastic on juice and has double wishbone suspension as standard which lends itself to a really smooth ride.
    Both are reliable cars, the mondeo's probably slightly more so - they are built like tanks.
    I echo the sentiments already posted about the mileage, 35k seems low, regardless of the mileage though, I'd shop around a bit more because that price is really high. Try to get a 1.8 diesel or ever a 2L for around 6.5k. My 407 is not exactly quick off the blocks or even mid-range, the 1.6 diesel it's more of a motorway cruiser - great on motorways but go for a bigger engine if you want some poke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

cough..turbo issues..cough...jasus how much...cough 135,000???, cough cough. Comfy though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

MidlandsM wrote: »
    and volvo
    And Mazda

Advertisement