Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE first year timetable - help

Options
  • 29-08-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

went onto DIT's timetable website and it's very confusing :confused:

is there any biomed 2nd years or higher who can remember what the first year timetable was like ??

for monday on one timetable it said that lectures were over at 13:00 but that there was labs from 18:00 to 20:30 ??? seems a bit much to be honest...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

paul4green wrote: »
    went onto DIT's timetable website and it's very confusing :confused:

is there any biomed 2nd years or higher who can remember what the first year timetable was like ??

for monday on one timetable it said that lectures were over at 13:00 but that there was[SIZE="4"] labs from 18:00 to 20:30 ???[/SIZE] seems a bit much to be honest...

I'm not a biomed student, but I'll take a look at your timetable and see if i can make sense of it for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

I don't do biomedical science but I am (hopefully) heading into 3rd year of the biosciences course... But my timetable was like that last year... We had lectures at 11-12 then wouldn't have a lab until 7 o'clock in the evening until 9... And half 6 till half 9 on other days for other groups =/

It was that bad because of the size of the classes and the limited space in certain labs! The microbiology labs/lecturers for instance will only allow a max of about 22-24 students in the lab at one time... Hope this is kinda helpful =]

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Just had a look there, i think i can see what was confusing you. at the bottom of each timetable entry there is the week numbers of when that course runs. if you only count the ones which have 5-16 or whatever, then it cuts down the amount of classes a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

ok I'll look a bit closer :P

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 20 KevinRyanMac

I am hopefully heading into 3rd year Biomed. 1st year timetable is a tad heavy with the late labs in semester 2. There are no late labs in semester 1 from what I remember. semester 1 is handy enough. The late labs are micro labs and are intresting and hands on, so hopefully you want be that bored/tired. In 2nd year the latest the labs will go till is half seven. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Killian1993

VickBack wrote: »
    I don't do biomedical science but I am (hopefully) heading into 3rd year of the biosciences course... But my timetable was like that last year... We had lectures at 11-12 then wouldn't have a lab until 7 o'clock in the evening until 9... And half 6 till half 9 on other days for other groups =/

It was that bad because of the size of the classes and the limited space in certain labs! The microbiology labs/lecturers for instance will only allow a max of about 22-24 students in the lab at one time... Hope this is kinda helpful =]

Slightly off topic but here I go...Hi I am also doing Biosciences (1st yr):D Now i'm a bit worried, I missed the induction due to an important appointment, I have looked at the timetable and I must take the same modules with the science (DT212) students however some are split into different group, eg: physics DT212/1 and DT212/x...since i've missed the induction how will i know what group i'm in??? I've just sent an email to the person in charge of my course for some help with this. I would appreciate any help!!

Slightly off topic but here I go...Hi I am also doing Biosciences (1st yr):D Now i'm a bit worried, I missed the induction due to an important appointment, I have looked at the timetable and I must take the same modules with the science (DT212) students however some are split into different group, eg: physics DT212/1 and DT212/x...since i've missed the induction how will i know what group i'm in??? I've just sent an email to the person in charge of my course for some help with this. I would appreciate any help!!

The DT212/1 or DT212/2 etc means the different years that's all... You can find out off yer course co-ordinator on Monday! There will be no labs usually in the first week so everything will be sorted before they start! The DT259/2 timetable has so many different groups because in second year there were so many of us! eg all tha As and Bs... even A*s lol =P

And yea... Biosciences are in with the physics course, the general science course and the medicinal chemistry n pharmaceutical science course... So don't be worrying about that stuff =]

Ah that's a relief, I can sort out everything on Monday! thanks, on Monday I have personal development and Maths..If we get split into different groups can I chose which one i end up in? Because I have a friend I'd like to be in the same group as. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Heres the timetable, i'm in DT212. We start on Tues 21st

9-11: physics
    11-2: break
    2-4: biology
    4-5: Maths

ya can get the timetable on Tues, can't be bothered writing the rest haha. We're only in for 1 hour on Friday haha...bloody professional skills, waste of time I tell ya

Edit---just saw you're new post, we're off on Monday for the first week! We are only splinting into groups with labs, and eh...I dunno about your friend, but to give us a tou on induction day they just split the class in half, whoever was in the first half etc. There's some sexy Chinese girl in our course too ;)

The DT212/1 or DT212/2 etc means the different years that's all... You can find out off yer course co-ordinator on Monday! There will be no labs usually in the first week so everything will be sorted before they start! The DT259/2 timetable has so many different groups because in second year there were so many of us! eg all tha As and Bs... even A*s lol =P

And yea... Biosciences are in with the physics course, the general science course and the medicinal chemistry n pharmaceutical science course... So don't be worrying about that stuff =]

Oh and another question! What do you think of the course? Yr 2 looks very interesting, I hope i've made the right choice..I got offered science in DCU but declined it for the biosciences course..looks more interesting ya know, more emphasis on practicality and more interesting modules such as bio chem and Physiology (seems more medically orientated than DCU), also that Biomolecular add on degree looks great! see ya around DIT! I'm sure i'll have more questions! :D:D

• Advertisement

BrianG23 wrote: »
    Heres the timetable, i'm in DT212. We start on Tues 21st

9-11: physics
    11-2: break
    2-4: biology
    4-5: Maths

ya can get the timetable on Tues, can't be bothered writing the rest haha. We're only in for 1 hour on Friday haha...bloody professional skills, waste of time I tell ya

Edit---just saw you're new post, we're off on Monday for the first week! We are only splinting into groups with labs, and eh...I dunno about your friend, but to give us a tou on induction day they just split the class in half, whoever was in the first half etc. There's some sexy Chinese girl in our course too ;)

We're off on Monday?? On the timetable it's says P.D from 10 -11 and maths from 4-5, have they been cancelled? right so i don't come in then, thanks for the tip off! ;) Oh i'll look out for her! Bout time for college, I was getting sick of being in an all boys school since i was ****in 6! ahaha

I've been trying to upload the timetable they gave us yesterday but eh dunno what's goin wrong. The excuse they gave us was jsut to bring us in easy or something. i can't wait to start anyway. Tuesday is a Long ass day though. we're only in till 1 on thursday

yeah I was like that too. 3/8 girls in our course if not more/

only in froom 9 till 10 am on Friday as well

Oh and another question! What do you think of the course? Yr 2 looks very interesting, I hope i've made the right choice..I got offered science in DCU but declined it for the biosciences course..looks more interesting ya know, more emphasis on practicality and more interesting modules such as bio chem and Physiology (seems more medically orientated than DCU), also that Biomolecular add on degree looks great! see ya around DIT! I'm sure i'll have more questions! :D:D

The course is pretty sweet... I was an advanced entry student so I only came in to the course last year for second year! It is tough though so I wouldn't recommend missing any lectures and definitely not labs! As the usually account for some of your grade! DIT is more practical based than other universities anyways thats why it looks more lab based! In year 2 my favourite subjects were physiology and immunology I must say... Really interesting! And for the add on ya have to get a minimum of around 65% average in your final year exams so ya really have to buckle down!!

I'm sure I'll see ya around n sign up to camping soc during the socs festival =P

The course is pretty sweet... I was an advanced entry student so I only came in to the course last year for second year! It is tough though so I wouldn't recommend missing any lectures and definitely not labs! As the usually account for some of your grade! DIT is more practical based than other universities anyways thats why it looks more lab based! In year 2 my favourite subjects were physiology and immunology I must say... Really interesting! And for the add on ya have to get a minimum of around 65% average in your final year exams so ya really have to buckle down!!

I'm sure I'll see ya around n sign up to camping soc during the socs festival =P

Well I got put into my group (BYB) I wonder how did they decide to put me in this group, was it random selection or based on LC results? (had to fill out a sheet the other day and write down the results I got per subject...assumed it was to do with sorting out groups) Unfortunately everyone I know is in group CZC :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sciencedude01

Sorry ,this could be slightly off topic , but im a 6th year student hoping to do DT212,my only science subject is biology(HL) , im slightly worried about physics though..im just wondering , do they start you off with the basics or is it in at the deep end from the start?

Sorry ,this could be slightly off topic , but im a 6th year student hoping to do DT212,my only science subject is biology(HL) , im slightly worried about physics though..im just wondering , do they start you off with the basics or is it in at the deep end from the start?
    It's leaving cert level physics. How are you at Maths?

Im okay at Maths(OL) got a B3 in the last mock(house) exam on the whole course.So like just say you did LC physics , would you find yourself just revising the things you did in secondary school.

Im okay at Maths(OL) got a B3 in the last mock(house) exam on the whole course.So like just say you did LC physics , would you find yourself just revising the things you did in secondary school.

Basically the same thing in first semester at least, as the Leaving cert. I got a B1(OL) in maths during the leaving but also did physics, I got grinds for Physics but didn't study and got a D3 in HL, lost 30% on experiments though which arean't in college tests...I dunno what to say about it in difficulty...anyway first semester IS the Leaving cert course so you can revise a physics book if you want, books overcomplicated things for me though.

Anyway, i'm in that course now, most people didn't do physics in leaving. I'm sure over a B in ordinary maths will be grand as the maths in physics comes from understanding just a few rules and just understanding what symbols mean and how they work which you learn in the course.

Thanks alot dude, Im a little more less worried now.No experiments-thats grand! I will most likelyey follow your advice and get a 2nd hand book when the time comes(summer).Least I can now focus a bit more and maths now,Cause dont really study for it.Not sure if I even need the grinds.And the exam papers are still not out for 2012(projectmaths bit) - they should hurry up if they want are year to do well, as the only way to study for maths is to do the problems.

Once again thanks for the info!

Advertisement