Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a Direct Debit

Options
  • 29-08-2011 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

OK I know this is asked so much but I am curious of two things that my searching ability has not found.

1) Do I have to cancel it in writing, I mean that seems rather old fashioned no?

2) If that is a yes then where do I send it too and what exactly should I say?

As you can tell I am a bright eyed student who is getting screwed by a Direct Debit on an account that has no income. Any help would be so appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

In most cases, you have to cancel in writing.

To cancel the direct debit, you need to write to your bank, and you should send a copy to the service provider as well. You just need to give your bank account number and sort code (and name and address of course), and simply say please cancel the direct debit to (insert service provider's name here) with immediate effect. Strictly speaking you only need to give one working day's notice, but it's probably best to give more than that.

However, cancelling the direct debit may not automatically cancel the service you're paying for, so you should also notify the service provider that you want to cancel the service. Bear in mind there may be contractual obligations to fulfil such as a 30 day notice period or a minimum contract period of a year, or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

OK so do I write to my local branch and drop it in or some sort of department they have and post it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

If you have a chip and pin card like a visa debit you cancel it in the branch.I have the ulster bank anytime banking and can cancel direct debits online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Your local branch will do. You can either post it or drop it into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Ring the Bank. Don't send a letter it might get lost and not be cancelled.

Its up to you to also cancel the DD with the business as they will still try and take the money from your account and charge you for unpaid debits on a final bill.

Another thing to note if its a couple of days before the DD is due to be taken the Bank may not be able to cancel it until the next payment is due to be taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

i cancelled an O2 DD recently told me to do it in writing but also gave me an email address to cancel with.not sure if every company would have this option.
    it often looks like companys are just trying to prolong your membership for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

I know if you have a Bank of Ireland online account you can cancel any of your DD through it, I presume AIB have the same option but can't be sure. Usually just call into your bank with a picture ID (Driving license, passport etc) and say you want to cancel whatever DD, As regards contacting the company taking your money - Well that depends on each individual, personally I wouldn't bother telling them, They'll cut off whatever service you have with them once they can't get money from your DD and probably won't connect you again until you settle all previous debts so if you don't mind that then just call into the bank.

Advertisement