Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing to return deposit

Options
  • 29-08-2011 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I was renting a room with my ex boyfriend in a house the landlord lived in. Before I moved in I told the landlord that I would be moving out in September as I was finishing work as a student nurse and would be moving home im preparation to moving to England. He said that was fine and asked for a months rent in advance and a deposit of 300euro, all of which was paid. This month we paid the months rent which covers us up until September 15th. On the 20th a day after paying the months rent my boyfriend told me he was planning on leaving the country to be with another girl. I ended up moving home at 4am that nite. Following that I spoke with my landlord and he said he would give me the deposit back when my ex moved out. He moved out today but my landlord is no refusing to return my deposit as he says he had no notice. Am I entitled to it back, I am really stuck as I need that money for when I do move to England and my ex owes me money which the deposit was going to half cover.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Your main recourse is via the prtb:
    https://www.prtb.ie/
    But be warned, a while ago they were reporting time scales for resolutions of 18 months. If they're not with the prtb or paying tax they may be in trouble and be willing to settle with you to keep quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

If the landlord was living in the house, then the PRTB don't handle these cases, as you were under a licensee agreement, not a tenancy agreement. Unfortunately if the landlord has decided to withhold the deposit, then all you can do is appeal to his good nature, or take it to the small claims court (I'm not sure you do have a case, but for the cost of a few quid, it might be worth it).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 41 james405

It's shocking the amount of crooked landlord's attempting things like this! I know 2 guy's with similar issues! 1 gave all his notice and was waiting for a 2 month deposit of 800 back! The landlord told him that "due to the current state of the economy" he would be holding onto the deposit for a few months as was as it was the "norm"! He gave it up fairly fast when he realised he wasnt dealing with a fool! The Prtb is your lifeline if you get stuck with landlords such as these! Many arent registered with the prtb so will thus be in big trouble if you flag them! Just mention this in a txt to any landlord who you cant seem to reach on the phone! They will pick up fairly fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Casperlady wrote: »
    Following that I spoke with my landlord and he said he would give me the deposit back when my ex moved out.

Did you give him anything in writing? Even a text?

otherwise it'll be your word against his. do you know if your ex gave notice in writing? Is he having the same issues getting his deposit back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Casperlady

daheff wrote: »
    Casperlady wrote: »
    Following that I spoke with my landlord and he said he would give me the deposit back when my ex moved out.

Did you give him anything in writing? Even a text?

otherwise it'll be your word against his. do you know if your ex gave notice in writing? Is he having the same issues getting his deposit back?

I got a text from him asking if he would give my ex the deposit. No my ex owes me money some of which was going to be covered by the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Some landlords seem to treat deposits as if they're free gifts, and come up any old crap excuse not to hand the money over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Casperlady

Well I have applied to the small claims court so hopefully I will get it back. I dont get the notion that he got no notice he has an empty room he can rent out immediately which rent is paid on for the month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement