Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders in my potting shed!

Options
  • 29-08-2011 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My potting shed is over run with spiders, the big hairy ones that really give me the shivers. Has anyone got any ideas how I can keep them out? Its just a regular 8x6 barna shed but I have shelves and a work bench and all my tools neatly hung up and I love pottering around doing my jobs in there but the spiders have kept me out over the last few days.
    Its not sealed or lined so I was thinking of just painting the inside to seal up the gaps, would this be enough?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are probably lots of caches of spider eggs hidden in inaccessible places, just waiting till you have sealed the shed before hatching out...

I know that is not helpful but it had to be said :p

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

Great thanks for pointing that out. Maybe I should lock the chickens in there for a few days and they can help themselves to some protein snacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I'd be more worried about the ones you can't see, like the fekkers that drop from the ceiling down the back of your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Do what I do and keep repeating 'they kill flies' to yourself like a mantra.

they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies they kill flies

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Nobody was ever harmed by spiders in this part of the world.I have them and they're welcome they entertain the cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

eeeewwww rather you than me, I hate spiders but I didn't mind my fella's pet tarantuala.. i even held it a few times w/o dropping dead of shock???

I remember a few yrs ago when we all still lived in the family home... I was texting in bed (bed was like a bunk bed w/o the bed underneath, it was on a ledge built over the stairs about 5ft off the ground and quite close to the ceiling) when I saw this dark figure moving above my face out of my line of vision but it caught my eye.. so i shone the light of the phone on it, it was a spider (not a huge one but anything bigger than a money spider and my skin is crawling) which after about a second of the light being shone on it.. it rolled into a ball (tucked its legs underneath itself) and kamakazied towards me... He kicked me (I rolled over) right off the bed, duvet and all, my head missed the chair i used as a hoist by inches..

I don't care if the eat all the flies, they're out for us too... all them beady eyes are being used for something more sinister than building lovely webs..

I know they cant really do any harm but they still give me the shivers. There are a few up on the ceiling and I cant bring myself to walk under them. I have loads in my polytunnel too but they dont bother me too much being in there so I just leave them be, its just the big guys in my shed I cant deal with.
    There is a huge one living in my ensuite too but I cant find him, he's dead brown bread the next time he shows his beady little eyes, I missed him twice but not a third time!!

I'd be more worried about the ones you can't see, like the fekkers that drop from the ceiling down the back of your neck

Thanks prospect now I feel waaaay better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Leave shed door open for a night once chilly weather returns.

Would that not encourage more in? Would smoke or anything kill them? I dont normally like to kill things but big spiders are an exception especially when they are in my space.

• Advertisement

Eyore, do you get the impression people are not taking your problem entirely seriously? :D Yes, smoke would probably annoy them, but when they roused they would have revenge on their minds...

Get the extention lead out and hoover them up.. I'm always 'accidentally' hoovering up spiders with the cobwebs or prehaps raid might work idk.. what ever way you decide to get rid of them, get rid of them now anyway cos this is the time of year they make babies who come out in the spring...

Eyore, do you get the impression people are not taking your problem entirely seriously?
    Ha ha i would never have guessed ;) Nobody ever does, my husband thinks its hillarious to chase me with them!! No wonder I have a fear of the fecking things!!!!

Cora I like the hoover idea, the neighbours will think I'm gone mad hoovering my shed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Eyeore wrote: »

Cora I like the hoover idea, the neighbours will think I'm gone mad hoovering my shed :)

Where do they go then though, are they breeding in their millions in the cupboard under the stairs, just waiting to attack?
    One old remedy was to make up a spray of 1:10 citrus essential oil (orange, lemon, lime) and clean water and spray it into the places where spiders like to set up home, spiders don't like citrus. I've never tried it myself as I don't have a problem with spiders but I'm told it works.

Sure its worth a try, thanks for that :)

your hubby likes chasing you with spiders?... my fella is the same, chases me around the house with moths and daddy long legs even though he's meant to be rescuing me by catching them in the 1st place...must actually get the hoover out myself there's cobwebs (& their inhabitants) in the spare room that need removing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Eyeore The spiders are responsible for catching all the flies and midge!

After you wipe out your spiders you will probably be posting how to control flies :(

Spiders that live in sheds must be fairly dim, they spend all that energy making webs and how often do you see insects in them? Flies don't tend to live in sheds and all the cobwebs gather is dust.

Advertisement