Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on new tattoo

Options
  • 29-08-2011 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I am considering a new tatoo near my shoulder on my left arm. I was wondering if you get one (I understand its permanent) but would you need to get it touched up every few years i.e does the ink gradually fade. Also how long does it take to usually heal and when can you shower again after having it done. How long does it usually take to do the job i.e 3-4 hours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

Also do people here think its better to have it done in colour or black and white?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I am considering a new tatoo near my shoulder on my left arm. I was wondering if you get one (I understand its permanent) but would you need to get it touched up every few years i.e does the ink gradually fade.

Tattoo's are going to fade over time but Plenty of high factor sun cream every time your tattoo is going to be exposed to the sun will keep it looking fresh for longer (by right you should avoid exposing tattoo's to the sun but realistically this is easier said then done)

Also how long does it take to usually heal and when can you shower again after having it done.

Healing time will vary from person to person but you'll be looking at a few weeks for your skin to fully recover and completely heal.
    There's nothing to stop you showering after getting tattooed just don't turn the shower head directly on it

How long does it usually take to do the job i.e 3-4 hours?

Depends on the piece, style, artist etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

Elbow wrote: »
    I am considering a new tatoo near my shoulder on my left arm. I was wondering if you get one (I understand its permanent) but would you need to get it touched up every few years i.e does the ink gradually fade.

Tattoo's are going to fade over time but Plenty of high factor sun cream every time your tattoo is going to be exposed to the sun will keep it looking fresh for longer (by right you should avoid exposing tattoo's to the sun but realistically this is easier said then done)

Also how long does it take to usually heal and when can you shower again after having it done.

Healing time will vary from person to person but you'll be looking at a few weeks for your skin to fully recover and completely heal.
    There's nothing to stop you showering after getting tattooed just don't turn the shower head directly on it

How long does it usually take to do the job i.e 3-4 hours?

Depends on the piece, style, artist etc etc etc

Thanks for the info. Would a touch up after it beings to fade bring it back to its former glory? and what time span do you think it will fade over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

billyhead wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Would a touch up after it beings to fade bring it back to its former glory? and what time span do you think it will fade over?

Touch up would do any tattoo wonders. As will simple skin care really!

Depends on exposure to sun really.. I've mine 2 years and with little no no exposure to sun it might as well be a month old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I'll fire up a pic of a tattoo i got done 3 years ago and how its looking now for ya this evening

• Advertisement
Advertisement