Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chainset

• 29-08-2011 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I've decided to upgrade a Lapierre Audacio 400 on the BTW. From going through a lot of other threads here, people are saying that there may be better options, but I'm choosing the Lapierre because it is the most comfortable fit for me and the best ride. Couple that with the fact that I can buy it from my LBS who have given me excellent service in the past, I don't think I can go too far wrong.

I have to now make the choice between a compact crankset (50/34) or a treble (50/39/30). My current bike has a double (52/42) and I have never had to walk any hills yet.

Can anyone offer me some guidance? The bike will be used for leisure - long and short spins wigh a good mix of hills thrown in and hopefully some Sportif's in the future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Chances are you will be able to stick a 38 or 39 on instead of the 42. Combine the 38/39 with a decent cassette spacing (which you prob have on there already) and it should sort you out.
    Plus it should be a lot cheaper then buying a whole new crankset.
    Remember if you go triple you will have to change shifters and prob front and rear mechs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're upgrading to a Lapierre Audacio 400, and the choice is either compact or triple.

Compact. It sounds like you definitely dont need the extra lower gear a triple would give you.

Ah yeah Sorry. Pre coffee posting. I really should now better by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

coastwatch wrote: »
    If I'm reading your post correctly, you're upgrading to a Lapierre Audacio 400, and the choice is either compact or triple.

Compact. It sounds like you definitely dont need the extra lower gear a triple would give you.

Yes, that's what I'm doing - trying to choose between the triple or compact for the Lapierre.
    LBS has sold 6 of this model this year - 4 compacts and 2 trebles.

well if you no problems climbing on a 42 then a compact would be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement