Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moths - need to be rid of the little buggers!

• 29-08-2011 9:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi, hoping someone can help...

We recently noticed a few small holes in some clothes, have since realised that it is moths (little feckers!) eating our clothes - not a happy bunny. Did a bit of interweb searching and moth balls seem to be the answer but also read lavender is a good repellent. Am planning on washing stuff in the shelf effected (well, the one that is being eaten - they are prob all over the wardrobe!), giving it a good vacuum and then want to put something in that will keep them away.

Has anyone any idea where to get mothballs? Anyone any experience with this problem? Is there anything else I should do to stop them in their tracks?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I've heard sandalwood is good too. You can get sandalwood balls in health shops. They smell really nice. Then put them around and about in the wardrobe. To be honest I'm not sure if they work too well but it's recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Off the point but its the larvae eating the clothes not the moths, so that's what you need to kill. I believe mothballs are not really considered the best solution any more.They may kill moths, but they are not great for people either. I have read various reports of lavendar, or cedar, being used, but I don't think there is much evidence that either is very effective.

For a start don't put clothes away dirty (not suggesting that you do!). Moths are attracted to sweat and other liquids. So wash, and if not going to be used for a long time store in a sealed bag. You can get vacuum bags for this.

To kill the existing moths you could try Moth Killer Strips. You can hang full strips in a wardrobe or cut to size for drawers etc. You can buy them in most DIY shops. There are also hanging traps that are covered in a sticky pheromone that attracts the male moth. The idea being to prevent them breeding. Effectiveness can depend on the particular species however, but worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Marlay wrote: »
    Off the point but its the larvae eating the clothes not the moths, so that's what you need to kill. I believe mothballs are not really considered the best solution any more.They may kill moths, but they are not great for people either. I have read various reports of lavendar, or cedar, being used, but I don't think there is much evidence that either is very effective.

For a start don't put clothes away dirty (not suggesting that you do!). Moths are attracted to sweat and other liquids. So wash, and if not going to be used for a long time store in a sealed bag. You can get vacuum bags for this.

To kill the existing moths you could try Moth Killer Strips. You can hang full strips in a wardrobe or cut to size for drawers etc. You can buy them in most DIY shops. There are also hanging traps that are covered in a sticky pheromone that attracts the male moth. The idea being to prevent them breeding. Effectiveness can depend on the particular species however, but worth a try.

Totally understand that it is the larvae that are eating my clothes - just easier to say "moths"! All the clothes are in my wardrobe, and washed (nothing even half worn goes back in!), might take them out (should prob do a giant cull in there anyway) and give them a good shake, vacuum etc. to see if I can clear them out. Will have a look in DIY stores for Killer Strips (fantastic name) and cedar balls/moth balls and see how I get on!

Advertisement