Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has gone to a really bad home, what should I do

• 29-08-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me some advice pleae?
    Two weeks ago my dad found a stray dog on our doorstep, he was starving and flea ridden. when we asked all our neighbours if anyone had lost a dog and no one had we started feeding it with the view to finding him a new home. Really friendly jack russell, we would have kept him except he kept chasing our cats away. Last week I heard of a guy who might be interested in taking him or at least finding him a new home, so we rang up and he said he knew a woman whose dog had died and wanted a new one.
    We dropped him off at this guys house (really nice fella) albeit reluctantly,(we would LOVE to had kept him if only for our cats) and we said we'd give a ring to see how if is getting on at his new home.
    I've just rang and he told me that the dog has gone to a home with a different woman and her kids. The thing is is that I know who this woman and her kids are and to say they are feral is an understatment. I cant believe he has ended up there and I think the guy is related to her so I couldnt say anything.
    Im so heartbroken I feel so bad over it, we all do. I dont know what to do. Should I ask for dog back and try get him used to cats? At the same time, how bad is it to ask for a dog back off a group of young kids, would I even get him back?
    Im actually crying writing this because I feel so awful for what might be happening to this dog.
    The dog pound wasnt an option either before ye ask, they only keep them for a day before they are put to sleep.
    Any advice would be really appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

ring up the guy and lie.
    say that the dogs original owners have turned up and they are heartbroken.
    get the dog back and try keep him or rehome him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

If she is "feral" do you think the dog will be left wandering out of her property..............if so I know where I would be going in case he gets himself "lost".

if not I dont really know what you can do. it is likely she will not want to give the dog back to you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Maybe you could call around and see her. If the dog looks in good condition tell her you just called to see how he was getting on, if he looks in bad condition tell her the original owners have shown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

ring up the guy and lie.
    say that the dogs original owners have turned up and they are heartbroken.
    get the dog back and try keep him or rehome him.

Ya I was thinking that actually, feel so bad for poor dog. I think I might do this, hope hes not too traumatised pulled from pillar to post

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Unless the dog officially goes through the pound system, and by that I mean that he either did his 5 days there (pounds are obliged to hold stray dogs for 5 days, not 1), or that the pound have a written report that you had the dog and were holding him for his 5 days, then neither you nor the lady legally owns this dog.
    The legal and rightful owner has 366 days to claim their dog as long as the dog hasn't gone through the pound system as per above.
    So, if an original owner is found, they are entitled to their dog back.
    Otherwise, you'd have to appeal to the lady's better nature and see would she give the dog back. Though it has already been suggested that you visit her yourself... It might be that the dog is being treated perfectly well.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Unless the dog officially goes through the pound system, and by that I mean that he either did his 5 days there (pounds are obliged to hold stray dogs for 5 days, not 1), or that the pound have a written report that you had the dog and were holding him for his 5 days, then neither you nor the lady legally owns this dog.
    The legal and rightful owner has 366 days to claim their dog as long as the dog hasn't gone through the pound system as per above.
    So, if an original owner is found, they are entitled to their dog back.
    Otherwise, you'd have to appeal to the lady's better nature and see would she give the dog back. Though it has already been suggested that you visit her yourself... It might be that the dog is being treated perfectly well.

The pound is actually right across the road from me and to be honest it has a pretty bad rep. When I thought of it as an option a couple of my neighbours told me to not put it in there because its pretty grim and the dogs dont even have bedding in there just a concrete shed. I think the dog came from a bad home in the first place because on one occasion I tried playing fetch with a stick and as soon a he saw the stick he started cowering and shaking uncontrollably. He was riddled with fleas and starved, I mean he ate a whole tin of a food in a couple of sconds without stopping.

Plus we also tried to find his original owner by putting an ad in local radio station and a notice in local shop in case people say I have no right to say where I think he should go, no one has come forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Aaaw, listen don't be so hard on yourself . You have two pets that you love and treat really well an you couldn't keep the dog as she was mistreating them!! Don't they deserve your love and trust more; your first commitment is to them.
    The little JR is a survivor; it had run away from what may have been an unhappy home, found you and the cats, and now has another home with lots of hgh energykids to play with and chase! People can be rough but with kids about there's bound to be love.
    Take it easy on yourself and let the dog get to know it's new home and their ways. Sure he dosnt mind a bit of feral; sounds like he'll be well able to cope! And don't your cats need space to lounge and chillax without being ate by a cat intolerant JR!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Plus we also tried to find his original owner by putting an ad in local radio station and a notice in local shop in case people say I have no right to say where I think he should go, no one has come forward

Ah, nobody's saying at all that pookiesboo, you were very kind to take him in in the first place!:o
    I wasn't suggesting putting him in the pound: unless it's one of the better pounds you're definitely better off not putting a dog in. As I said, there is an option there for you to contact the pound to let them know you've founf a dog but that you'll hold onto him for the required period.
    Anyway, this is all a bit beside the point, sort of! If you didn't contact the pound to make the above arrangement, then the option of an owner coming forward within 366 days is still open to you.
    So, should you find a person who says the dog belongs to him/her, they're legally entitled to have the dog back.

Aaaw, listen don't be so hard on yourself . You have two pets that you love and treat really well an you couldn't keep the dog as she was mistreating them!! Don't they deserve your love and trust more; your first commitment is to them.
    The little JR is a survivor; it had run away from what may have been an unhappy home, found you and the cats, and now has another home with lots of hgh energykids to play with and chase! People can be rough but with kids about there's bound to be love.
    Take it easy on yourself and let the dog get to know it's new home and their ways. Sure he dosnt mind a bit of feral; sounds like he'll be well able to cope! And don't your cats need space to lounge and chillax without being ate by a cat intolerant JR!!

Thanks! Thats actually made me feel a lot better!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement