Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats your favourite christmas movie?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

One thing i love about the holiday season is watching christmas movies. My favourite would have to be 'The Santa Clause(1994)'. I remember watching it for the first time as a kid and absolutely loved it. I taped it and used to watch it any time of the year! Still to this day i watch it the odd time, it brings back some old memories :)

So whats everybody elses favourite christmas movies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

The first Santa Clause is pretty good. The others not so much - but I will still watch them once the season is here. :D

For me - hands down - it's A Christmas Story. Absolutely no question about it.

I DO love the old Rankin-Bass claymations of Frosty, Rudolph, Jack Frost, Twas the Night Before Christmas etc. Christmas Vacation is on the list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Die Hard
    Trading Places
    Die Hard II

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Die Hard
    Trading Places
    Die Hard II

Lol!

I saw It's a Wonderful Life when I was a teenager and never thought much of it. Then I saw it again last year with my Mum and now think it's absolutely lovely.

ItsAWonderfulLife1.jpg

I love any old film. A few months ago I saw an old Doris Day film where they skated on ice near the end of the film. I don't even think it was a Christmas, but it had loads of snow and that's fine with me!!
    By_the_Light_of_the_Silvery_Moon_01.jpg

Also loved Scrooged and Scrooge

scrooged.jpg

patrickstewart_as_scrooge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

The Muppet Christmas Carol
    A Christmas Story
    A Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart)
    The Santa Clause
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

washiskin wrote: »
    A Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart)
    The Santa Clause

And Miracle on 34th Street, Scrooged (Bill Murray!) and - not strictly a Xmas movie, but always on at some point in December - Ghostbusters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

Anyone remember Santa Claus the movie?

It's from the 80s, and it gets shown every so often. It was my first xmas movie.

Dad got it on VHS and I used to just watch it over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

jimdeans wrote: »
    Anyone remember Santa Claus the movie?

It's from the 80s, and it gets shown every so often. It was my first xmas movie.

Dad got it on VHS and I used to just watch it over and over again.

Ah yeah I love that - that came free with the Sunday Times last year! :-)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

my absolute fvourite has to be 'Meet me in St. Louis'

But i love newer movies like, Elf, The Polar Express, Bad Santa, Home Alone(s), love actually, Santa Clause - the movie :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

I could watch any xmas movie anytime.Top 4 tho and not in any specific order
    Scrooged with bill murry
    Santa clause with Dudley Moore
    Muppets xmas carol
    and The santa clause with Tim allen.

OOO ya and Home alone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 catonkey

Bad Santa :)

Every year I resolve to watch better Christmas movies yet I never seem to manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Santa Clause The Movie :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The Santa Claus

Home Alone 1 and 2

Die Hard
    Ho Ho Ho, I have a machine gun now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Home Alone 1 and 2

Have to agree, any of the home alone movies or the grinch.

Brings back memories :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭aoife_bennett

Elf
    The Grinch
    Christmas In Boston
    Miracle on 34th Street
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (not technically a Christmas film, but I've come to associate it with Christmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Die Hard
    Trading Places
    Die Hard II

See, I'm kinda with you here as it means you get excellent films on at Christmas, not just the Christmas ones, and Christmas is not the same without all the Harry Potter films, Sleepless in Seattle, etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

For me

Bad Santa
    Die Hard
    Scrooged
    Santa Claus (with Dudley Moore I even went out and got the dvd last year)
    Ernest Saves Christmas ( i grew up on it)
    Home Alone 1 and 2
    Hook
    Elf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

The Santa Clause - my fave Xmas film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Forgot about some of these to be honest. Just ordered them online because I would be embarassed going into Tower Records and asking for them at the start of September!

My favourites are Scrooged, Scrooge (Albert Finney) Miracle on 34th Street (both versions), Love Actually, White Christmas and my guilty pleasure would be Jingle all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

I recommend 'Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus' for lovers of the Christmas movie genre. It was made for TV in the early 90's so may be hard to get and you never see it on nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MaryLeahy5

Love actually!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I spent what seems like years trying to track down Santa Claus the movie. The, suddenly it appeared on DVD and I ordered it online. 2 weeks later it was free with a Sunday newspaper.

I managed to find the soundtrack to it too (never released on cd) -
    I actually uploaded it last year and posted it in the Christmas forum.

(acceptable because the album is not available to buy anywhere)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Has to be Muppets Christmas Carol, god its amazing :D
    Also the 1st Harry Potter always makes me think of Christmas for some reason :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Oh yes, Miracle on 34th street and Scrooge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

It's not Christmas unless The Muppet Christmas Carol is watched :)

Another big +1 for Santa Claus: The Movie, I always feel so sorry for Patch when Santa doesn't choose him as head elf :o

The Slipper And The Rose (Cinderella) - this isn't a Christmas movie at all but the only time it's EVER shown is around Christmas and always on RTE, so it's a Christmas movie for me by association. I've been watching it since I was a kid every year. I think I'm the only person who ever watches it too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I watch a ton of Christmas films, but my one annual tradition is The Polar Express with my mum. Don't have it on dvd so we wait til it comes on the tv (for the sake of nostalgia - back in the day when you couldn't rewind live tv and if you missed it you bloody well missed it! :D) and that's usually very near Christmas. The music is beautiful and so are the visuals.

Aside from that, the usuals include The Santa Clause, Gremlins, Trading Places, It's A Wonderful Life, Jack Frost, Snow Day, Fluke, Jingle All The Way, and usually at some point despite my protests, Home Alone gets put on in the background. Also in my house Star Trek Generations is considered Christmassy and sometimes gets a watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

LOVE the Polar Express. Some think its a bit too spooky but I adore it. That music in that movie, specifically the Express Theme and Hot Chocolate, is just outstanding.

I also love the old Rankin/Bass claymation specials - like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, The Year Without Santa Claus, etc. I would wait every Xmas for them to be on TV and we still like to watch them "live" on tv during the holidays.

I agree - something still special about watching them on tv rather than dvd, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hufflepuff

My no.1 has to be Muppets Christmas Carol followed by National Lampoons christmas vaction and then Elf . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

My favorites are: Home Alone 1&2, The Muppets Christmas Carol, a Muppet Family Christmas (or any Muppet movie it's not Christmas unless I watch a Muppet movie), Elf, Love Actually, Christmas Vacation, Scrooged, Holiday Inn (Probably my favorite because Bing Crosby reminds me a lot of my grandfather), It's a Wonderful Life, Gremlins, The Santa Clause, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Meet Me in St. Louis, I'm sure there are loads more too I'm a fiend for Christmas movies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Scum with your man Ray Winstone.

• Advertisement

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    I DO love the old Rankin-Bass claymations of Frosty, Rudolph, Jack Frost, Twas the Night Before Christmas etc. Christmas Vacation is on the list too.
    Thanks for posting this. I remember one year as a child when Christmas was sneaking up on me watching one of these. We had gotten some extra TV channels for some reason and Rudolph was on. Never knew Rankin/Bass made them. Heck they're even on Wikipedia. I'm off to hunt amazon for the DVDs!! :)

Advertisement