Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haruki Murakami

Options
  • 29-08-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

so I wanted to get people's opinions on which Haruki Murakami book I should read next. I've read 'Kafka on the shore' which I really enjoyed, even though I was slightly underwhelmed with the ending.

1Q84 looks like an interesting read and I'll pick it up eventually, but I want to hit his back catalogue first.

Norwegian Wood seems a good choice as I can check out the film afterwards which is something I always find an interesting excercise, but I'd rather pick one of his more unconventional novels...or maybe Norwegian Wood is a must (and not than conventional).

Any recommendations or thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Read A Wild Sheep Chase, Norwegian Wood and his short story collection Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. Sheep Chase is my personal favourite. I'm one of the few Murakami fans who was underwhelmed by The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but that is his most acclaimed novel, so you should read that too.

I haven't read Kafka, so I can't know what your issue with the ending was, but if you expect neat conclusions which wrap things up completely, you won't get that from Murakami.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Kinski: "I'm one of the few Murakami fans who was underwhelmed by The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle"

Snap!I'd recommend Norewgian Wood in a heartbeat though.

(couldn't get the quote function to work this morning. Boards.ie also suffering from Mondayitis).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Most of his stuff is well worth checking out. The only one I was underwhelmed by was After Dark, which was grand but just more disposable than his other stuff.

Kafka on the Shore is my favourite for sheer intensity of vision, but there's plenty of others that impressed equally. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is wonderful - odd, meandering and very-Murakmai. It's more fantastical than the rest of his work (not that he's not a fantastical author :pac:), so possibly not for everyone.

A Wild Sheep Chase is good, but personally I was more impressed by its sequel Dance Dance Dance. It's worth reading both together, obviously! You could probably read the latter separately, but you'd be missing out on the many joys of the former and miss many of the narrative connections.

Unlike the two posters above, I loved Wind-Up Bird Chronicle although perhaps not as much as the ones above. Norwegian Wood is great too, although it's the least Murakami-esque of all his novels. Not to take away from its many, many strengths, but it's very different to everything the came before and after it. It's an achingly nostalgic, though, and a really honest look back at young adulthood. Sputnik Sweetheart is an interesting book but again slightly more disposable than his best.

Only found out IQ84 was coming out in October - still thought it was a good few months away, so delighted about that. I was over in Japan around the time book one was released over there (2009) so have been dying to read it since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Add me to the list of people who were underwhelmed by The Wind-up Bird Chronicle! It's probably due to the fact that I had heard it was his masterpiece and I read it after his other books so my expectations were way too high. I'd still recommend it but it didn't hit me like some of his other stuff. That bit with the well in the desert has really stuck with me though.

Dance Dance Dance
    is definitely my favourite of his. It has a great dreamlike atmosphere. I also love the description of the protagonist's job (he's a freelance writer) as "shovelling cultural snow"- it often comes to mind when I see umpteen articles based on the same press release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I wouldn't exactly call Norwegian Wood 'conventional', just less bananas than his usual stuff.

Luckily, I hadn't heard a thing about W-UBC before I read it, and loved it. My number one favourite so far though, is Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

Thanks all for the replies and insights.

I think I'll give Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World a shot next. It seems there may be a sci-fi type element to it which appeals to me. I also find Murakami reminds me a little of David Mitchell (or vice versa) and from reading a few descriptions of 'Hard Boiled..' I concluded there may perhaps be echoes of Cloud Atlas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

dots03 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the replies and insights.

I think I'll give Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World a shot next. It seems there may be a sci-fi type element to it which appeals to me. I also find Murakami reminds me a little of David Mitchell (or vice versa) and from reading a few descriptions of 'Hard Boiled..' I concluded there may perhaps be echoes of Cloud Atlas.

Love Mitchell's work, but there's no doubt at all that he owes Murakami his career. The influence here ran clearly in one direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Stopped reading Norweigan Wood about half way through as got so boring and also was way too emotional for my liking. Are his other books any better?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the rest of his books are far more surreal and abstract than Norwegian Wood. Not really sure how a novel can be top emotional though?

Im on a David Mitchell buzz at the moment and there's definite Murakami in there. On number9dream at the moment which is most obviously channeling Murakami with its undefined concept of reality. Im not really buying its vision of Tokyo despite the novels many strengths though. Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet is wonderful however. Definitely shows him as a writer with a unique voice rather than just a talented mimic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Loved the The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but Hard-Boiled Wonderland... bored me to tears.

Meh!

• Advertisement

Yeah the rest of his books are far more surreal and abstract than Norwegian Wood. Not really sure how a novel can be top emotional though?

I probably was unlucky with reading that one first so. Obviously every story need to be emotionally driven, but I just thought Norwegian Wood was relentless in 'isolated characters struggling to understand their emotions'.
    Can only imagine the film to be awful considering how overly melodramatic modern Japanese cinema is!

The film is beautiful visually - there's a fantastic atmosphere to it. And Kiko Mizuhara and Rinko Kikuchi are fantastic (in that order) as Midori and Naoko. But otherwise its a very simplistic and laboured reading of the novel, and suffers greatly from making Watanabe and some of the side characters non-entities. I still liked it, but boy an awful lot of people outright hated it, and I can easily see where they're coming from.

I do think as far as angsty portraits of teenage romance go, Norwegian Wood is easily a highlight of that often dreadful genre. The characters just feel very real and likable - one of the few romances where both love interests are equally endearing, and Watanabe is stuck genuinely and believably stuck between the two. Each to their own though :) It would definitely be a shame to disregard the rest of his stuff if you didn't like that though - its easily the least representative of his style and individuality.

It would definitely be a shame to disregard the rest of his stuff if you didn't like that though - its easily the least representative of his style and individuality.

Thats good to hear! I was confused to why so many people recommended him after (half) reading NW, but I'm tempted to try another one of his books now!

David Mitchell also sounds interesting. Any recommendation on which book to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

I'd only read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running and I really liked it (doing the marathon this year, thanks Haruki).

Started 1Q84 yesterday and I love it already. Really distinctive style, interesting story, translation feels very solid.

Giruilla wrote: »
    David Mitchell also sounds interesting. Any recommendation on which book to start with?

Cloud Atlus is his best known and a pretty fascinating read. It's not necessarily an easy read - everytime you get used to the narrative style Mitchell cruelly yanks it away from under you and introduces an entirely different one - but the rewards are plentiful.

I loved Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet though. I'd heard it was dense, and it might be if you're unfamiliar with Japanese culture / strongly against historical fiction. But personally I thought it was surprisingly reader friendly, and the story takes some extremely unexpected twists as it goes on.

Thanks, both sounds great! Will prob try Cloud Atlas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Norwegian Wood was awful, of what I can remember of it anyway, which isn't much. The narrator sleeps with every female character in the book, and the many sex scenes are really cringeworthy. The book also tries too hard to be cool by namedropping loads of 60's pop tunes, which was annoying. Not much of a story to it either, just some ansgty characters growing up.

That book totally put me off reading anything else by Murakami. Tempted to try out his surreal books but not going to risk being burned again.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

wow, i should have searched for this thread ages ago, but anyway. Growing up I was never one for reading but have in recent years began to embrace books in a big way. I loved reading Iain Banks' books but just couldn't find anything that interested me as much as his work until Murakami was suggested to me by a friend. I picked up After Dark before a holiday to Japan and for nostalgic reasons that would be my favorite even if it is a bit on the short side.

It's interesting to see that everyone here seems to have a different favourite HM novel. The reaction to Norwegian Wood is also interesting. I feel it would be a crime to commit Murakami to a single genre, writing only works of abstract ideas. Norwegian Wood is a solid story and shows that he is more than capable of writing something other than a fantastical work of fiction.

Almost finished Kafka, I would highly recommend it and not just for it's completely bonkers plot but also for it's strong descriptive passages. (possibly not one to recommend to your mother though)

By the way, would anyone recommend reading Orwell's 1984 before HM's 1Q84? I've heard it's a homage to that book but maybe it's just the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Read ALL of Murakami's work. Greatest writer alive.

Norwegian Wood was awful, of what I can remember of it anyway, which isn't much. The narrator sleeps with every female character in the book, and the many sex scenes are really cringeworthy. The book also tries too hard to be cool by namedropping loads of 60's pop tunes, which was annoying. Not much of a story to it either, just some ansgty characters growing up.

That book totally put me off reading anything else by Murakami. Tempted to try out his surreal books but not going to risk being burned again.

Ah don't be put off, give him another go! Maybe you have though, since you last posted here.

About the namedropping of songs, i don't know if it was his goal is to make the book seem "cool". The title itself and that song is an intricate part of the plot as is the idea of the main characters sitting listening to various songs. As he needs a way to develop that idea, it would be strange if the songs weren't named. I also believe it's a method he uses to build the characters, their personalities and where they fit in, in society and also time. It's a common method he uses throughout his works to build characters and environments... perhaps not as strongly used in other novels as 'Norwegian wood' though.
    Also, you have to remember that 1960's Japan was a completely different environment to that of the west so the context in which characters are listening to western artists would be interpreted completely different between Japanese and western readers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Ian7 wrote: »
    About the namedropping of songs, i don't know if it was his goal is to make the book seem "cool". The title itself and that song is an intricate part of the plot as is the idea of the main characters sitting listening to various songs. As he needs a way to develop that idea, it would be strange if the songs weren't named. I also believe it's a method he uses to build the characters, their personalities and where they fit in, in society and also time. It's a common method he uses throughout his works to build characters and environments... perhaps not as strongly used in other novels as 'Norwegian wood' though.

Murakami used to run a jazz club with his wife; music is clearly very important to him. 1Q84 is also peppered with references to musical performers and compositions, culled from a variety of genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Love Mitchell's work, but there's no doubt at all that he owes Murakami his career. The influence here ran clearly in one direction.

I don't think that's true at all - there's plenty of Nabokov in there too, and a touch of Neil Gaiman (and plenty of others too, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head). number9dream is steeped in Murakami even more than his other work, though.

As for Murakami, I quite like his work, in particular The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and After Dark, but some of his stylistic traits - especially his tendency to introduce virtually every female character with a physical description and a comment on their attractiveness - grate on me.

Kinski wrote: »
    music is clearly very important to him.

I don't doubt that for a second

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Kinski wrote: »
    Murakami used to run a jazz club with his wife; music is clearly very important to him. 1Q84 is also peppered with references to musical performers and compositions, culled from a variety of genres.

He has an enormous record collection - some 40,000 discs. At the end of last week's Selected Shorts podcast, which was devoted to Murakami, there's a talk by the author John Wray, in part discussing record shopping with the man in New York.

40,000? :eek: That's crazy and pretty cool, must have a listen to that podcast later.

I still think there is more to the namedropping than just a love of music though. He doesn't strike me as a "willy nilly" type of author.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Walter White

Heard great things about Murakami... So I am half way through 1Q84 and finding it very hard going, he just keeps rambling off in different directions for no apparent reason, no wonder its so long.... But my question is.. Is it worth persevering with ?

Is it worth persevering with ?

Even though you find it hard going and rambling, are you enjoying it at all? I haven't started that book myself but I am looking forward to it, I presume you know there's three parts to that yeah? Maybe it's a touch of OCD but i think if I was that far through a book that big I would have to keep going even if I didn't like it very much. :D
    he just keeps rambling off in different directions for no apparent reason

As I said I haven't read that book, but as funny as it sounds, the ramblings for no apparent reason are probably meticulously thought out or I am giving him too much credit?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Heard great things about Murakami... So I am half way through 1Q84 and finding it very hard going, he just keeps rambling off in different directions for no apparent reason, no wonder its so long.... But my question is.. Is it worth persevering with ?

Yes. It's quite an abstract work with a lot of stuff that seems odd, but I'm reading it myself (just started the third book) and it does get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Walter White

Ian7 wrote: »
    Even though you find it hard going and rambling, are you enjoying it at all?

Yeah I am enjoying it, the characters are excellent and when its not rambling its very good...

As I said I haven't read that book, but as funny as it sounds, the ramblings for no apparent reason are probably meticulously thought out or I am giving him too much credit?:o

I think you are giving too much credit there...

Also good to hear from Bodhidharma that it keeps getting better in book 3... I think i will finish it, as the further i get into it the I want to know how it will turn out..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

I agree. It is a modern classic!

Advertisement