Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing known characters from a new POV

• 29-08-2011 11:55am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have you ever had to do this thing where a chapter is written from the point of view of a character who has never previously met a person who is well known to the reader? If so, do you make a point of having the person introduce him/herself so you can start using his/her name again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Song of Fire and Ice books are a bit like that, aren't they?
    I haven't started A Game of Thrones yet (it's my next book in my reading pile), but how does George RR Martin handle it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Mr E wrote: »
    The Song of Fire and Ice books are a bit like that, aren't they?
    I haven't started A Game of Thrones yet (it's my next book in my reading pile), but how does George RR Martin handle it?

He titles the chapter with the character's name. So it's not chapter 1 etc, it's Joe Blogginton etc.
    In later books he became very fond of using italics to signify when the named character is thinking something, which adds greatly to the amount of info he gets across.

Not entirely sure what pickarooney means though... what do ya mean Pickser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

But isn't each chapter told from that person's point of view?
    Really must finish the crap book I'm reading now so I can start it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I think he means having one chapter from the point of view of Jack Skellington, and another chapter from the point of view of William Tell, who at some point in the chapter meets Jack Skellington.

Pickarooney - you might want to try out some David Mitchell for this (and I know, I recommend him like crazy). Two of his novels, Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas, are made up of several novellas in which characters and themes cross. Moreover, many of his characters tend to show up in more than one book, in more major or more minor roles - for instance, a young socialite from pre-first World War Belgium in Cloud Atlas shows up as an ageing crone in the 1980s-set Black Swan Green. It doesn't matter if you only read one of those books, but it's like a little bonus if you read both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I've written a few chapters where a new character is the POV character, and find it can be useful to give some of the sort of details that no character would give in their own POV. Just keep introductions brief "Hello, I'm Cytolene, sorry to call you out to this grisly murder. The body is in the bedroom."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I think he means having one chapter from the point of view of Jack Skellington, and another chapter from the point of view of William Tell, who at some point in the chapter meets Jack Skellington.

This book sounds awesome.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

EileenG wrote: »
    I've written a few chapters where a new character is the POV character, and find it can be useful to give some of the sort of details that no character would give in their own POV. Just keep introductions brief "Hello, I'm Cytolene, sorry to call you out to this grisly murder. The body is in the bedroom."

Yeah, I've found this to be an advantage too, moreso in that you can give different impressions of the same character from multiple viewpoints and in turn show something about the new POV character. I just dislike the way it sometimes seems as though I'm playing some crappy game with the reader about who exactly is in the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Sometimes it's actually quite nice to deal with a character without introducing them. It happens a fair bit in Song of Ice and Fire (since it was brought up earlier) and it lends moments of "that sounds like..." "Could it be?" "oh my god it's!" etc.
    Great fun can be had with it, if the other character is known to be a sadistic murderer but to the POV character he's just some friendly new face. Ooooh. The reader will be shouting "no don't trust him!!!" but the character can't possibly know the horrible truth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Daleno

Robert Jordan does this a lot in his Wheel of Time series. He does it in a very nice way though. With most of his characters they are identified by what they wear. Take Matrim Cauthon; in the later books he wears a broad rimmed hat, black scarf and carries a spear of dark wood with a blade attached to the end of it.

When a new character meets Mat and we read it through his POV he is described as we know him, with the staff and whatnot, but because, after the first time we hear of him wearing each item of clothing or accessory we don't really think of it again, the re-description of the character brings him right back into our heads and we picture him well. Alongside that initial thrill when we think 'Oh cool, that's Mat he's meeting' we also see Mat in a different light.

I really like the idea of seeing a well known character through a new character's POV.

Advertisement