Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep fried Ravioli

Options
  • 29-08-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This has been playing on my mind a lot recently and I don't think I will get any peace until I do. I envision deep frying shop bought ravioli. I imagine it must taste like wonton's when done.

Has anyone done this before? Will it leak? Any tips?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I could be totally wrong but since shop-bought ravioli is usually semi-dried I'd imagine you'd need to boil it first, then dry it and deep fry it. Otherwise it might be really hard.

I'd love to hear how it works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was thinking the exact same. I'd imagine that you'd need to at least parboil if not boil fully.

Also, if you look at raw wonton pastry, it's quite thin - like rice paper. I think that the dough on ravioli might be too thick.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Boil first, then coat in egg and flour?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Deffo boil first. The pasta is a lot thicker than a wonton wrapper.

It could be a winner.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 greenet

Would love to know how this works out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Swampy wrote: »
    I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back.
    If we don't hear from you... we'll know not to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 greenet

Guessing it wasn't a success then!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

I am soooo trying this... going with boil, egg, flour... sounds yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

you don't have to boil it. dip the bought ravioli in flour then egg then seasoned breadcrumbs. Then fry in hot oil for a minute or two until golden brown and puffed up like a pillow. Amazing served with marinara sauce. So so tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Chris Evans & James Martin made Sweet Deep fried Ravioli with Raspberry and ricotta and mincemeat on Saturday Kitchen on BBC over the weekend .. i Don't remember seeing them put in the mincemeat though
    recipe is here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/raspberry_and_ricotta_35530

Advertisement