Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ewe alergic to antibiotic

• 29-08-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

last week one of my ewes got mastitis and i gave her a few injections of
    Penicillin. which helped her along, not in the last few days her wool has started to fall out in great big clumps.
    i am wondering if she could be alergic to penicillin?
    if so what can i give her as a treatment instead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

solorpower wrote: »
    last week one of my ewes got mastitis and i gave her a few injections of
    Penicillin. which helped her along, not in the last few days her wool has started to fall out in great big clumps.
    i am wondering if she could be alergic to penicillin?
    if so what can i give her as a treatment instead?

Its normally the stress of sickness that causes sheep to lose wool. If you think she has an allergy to antibiotic, then your first port of call should be your vet who will diagnose and prescribe as appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I think if a sheep gets very sick, they can lose all their wool...

I dont think anything can be done about it, just make sure she is healthy and eating. Most likely, she will lose all of it... :(

Thats my experience anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

thanks for youe reply,
    i have seen sheep loose wool before always put that down to fluke, but i know that is not the problem this time,
    she is eating away this time,
    it happened a ram last year and the vet said he might be alergic to the ingection i gave him.
    that why i thought she might be alergic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

solorpower wrote: »
    thanks for youe reply,
    i have seen sheep loose wool before always put that down to fluke, but i know that is not the problem this time,
    she is eating away this time,
    it happened a ram last year and the vet said he might be alergic to the ingection i gave him.
    that why i thought she might be alergic.

Sheep's wool grows constantly, and every fibre grows at a similar speed. When a sheep is severely stressed by illness or parasites or hunger (or even multiple births) the short section of the wool fibres that he/she produces on those days is very weak and thin. Over the whole fleece, this is a weak point in every single fibre, and that is why the whole fleece comes off.

A severe allergic reaction might also do it, but the illness on its own could be enough.

LC

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Solorpower- if you have any concern about the wellbeing of the ewe, you really need to get your vet to take a quick look. It doesn't sound as though the penicillin in itself is the issue- however your vet may be able to assist in other respects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

i treated the ewe again yesterday evening and dispite the wool falling off she is in much better form, i drained off as much as was possible and gave her another injection,
    most of the wool was off her last night but dispite this she is in better form, eating away running like she should.
    i am pretty sure now that she is not alergic to the injecion but reather getting sick lead to stress.

thanks for your thoughts

Advertisement