Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affidavit of Support problem

Options
  • 29-08-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi There
    Would a spouses income from Ireland qualify under the support?
    Or does the income need to be US based.
    And in anyones experience how would not filing tax returns for the past 10 years affect an affidavit of support?

Thanks
    TD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

No, Irish income doesn't qualify unless it continues when you immigrate (intra-company transfer or telecommuting).

They will want you to have at least the last three years of US taxes filed; you can backfile with the IRS, it'll just be a small delay (or not even that, depending on where you are in the process).

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

When you say telecommuting do you mean working for an Irish based US company?
    I am at the send in the I-864 stage .
    My Brother has just filed for his wife so cant sign for me.

Intra company transfer would be if you move with your job- say from Google Dublin to Google California. Telecommuting would be if you keep your job in Ireland, but to it remotely, via internet/ skype etc. For example if you were a sub editor or doing medical transcription, or working as a IT programmer this might be possible. Either of these options are fairly rare.

You basically have three possibilities:
    - The US spouse moves ahead, gets a job in the US and sends the Irish spouse some paystubs and an employer's letter. Keep in mind it may be difficult o find a job quickly!
    - Sponsor on assets; you'll need 3 times as much as income (so around $60'000 if it's just the two of you, no kids or other dependants), and the assets should be US based (savings, property, second car etc).
    - Get a co-sponsor; I know you said your brother is out, but maybe there is another sibling, a parent, aunt, or good friend? They do not need to be family, or even live in the same state you want to move to.

Thank for the information sorry its been so long to reply!
    Got it all sorted with the ss credits so no need for the affidavit of support and tax returns phew!!
    Visa interview in the embassy now this week .Do you know if they let you know if its approved on the day?

TD

Yes, they will let you know on the day normally, and then send the passport with the visa in the post about 2 weeks later.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

How did you get on?

Sailed through and got my passport with the visa in the mail this morning
    along with an envelope warning ''do not open only an immigration officer can''

see they are already telling me what to do :D

PM sent Celt

Advertisement