Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseeding question

• 29-08-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

i reseeded 5 acres back in june, it is looking nice and green now but i am a bit dissapointed quantity of grass there now.
    unfortunatly my knowledge of what fertilizer to use is not the best,

i gave it 10 10 20 (2bags) after setting and can (1.5bags) after that, just wondering if i gave it 18-6-12 would it drive it along?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Did you get a soil test done? If so - what were the results?

Might be better to spend a bit o money on this, in case you very low on something... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

first year reseeds need allot of N to get them to produce to there potential

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Did you graze it or cut it yet? Grazing would be better for the first year as it helps the new plants tiller. Little and often would be my advice on the fertiliser.

Bob charles types faster than me!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

no i did not graze it yet, just sprayed it last week for weeds,

how long after spraying should i leave it to graze?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

solorpower wrote: »
    no i did not graze it yet, just sprayed it last week for weeds,

how long after spraying should i leave it to graze?

Most sprays need a good 10 days, 14 days could be safer

You should read what the details on the spray container - better to be safe than sorry

You should graze them before they get too strong. A good tight grazing for the first couple of times will improve them no end

Have you had much rain? Some of our aftergrass is suffering from drought. Seeds ideally need a good bit of rain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I wouldnt know a lot about reseeding - but if it was planted in June, is leaving it until now not a bit long before grazing it?

Edit : I guess it depends when it was in June, end June was only 9 weeks ago. :o
    I try to graze after about 7 weeks... not sure if this is right or not... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

when i say not grazed, i should say that the you calves do run in under the wire and have given it a light grazing,

i let them at it as i thought it may help thicken it up?

would this be right or was i dreaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

solorpower wrote: »
    i reseeded 5 acres back in june, it is looking nice and green now but i am a bit dissapointed quantity of grass there now.
    unfortunatly my knowledge of what fertilizer to use is not the best,

i gave it 10 10 20 (2bags) after setting and can (1.5bags) after that, just wondering if i gave it 18-6-12 would it drive it along?

I'm wondering what size bags you're talking about here?

In relation to the quantity of grass that you're disappointed with, maybe you could post a pic and several posters here will know then if it's a normal looking crop then?
    Some new grass leys can look patchy, If you can get light stock out onto it and graze it tight it will help tiller it out.
    At the moment we have 16 heifers grazing 6 acres of new grass.

Advertisement