Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T-SQL: EXECUTE SP with Parameters Q?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering does anyone know if it is possible to run a stored procedure using the EXECUTE command with all parameters tucked into a single variable? Example -

Replace this code (where each parameter has to be indivually declared and passed into the EXEC statement):

declare @retval integer
    declare
    @param1 varchar(50)
    declare @param2 varchar(50)
    select @param1 = 10
    SELECT @param2 = 20
    EXEC @retval = TOMS_JOB_STEP_1 @param1, @param2

With something along the lines of the following, where the parameters are packaged into a single variable:

declare
    @retval integer
    declare
    @params varchar(50)
    select @params = '(@var1=10,@var2=test)'
    EXEC @retval = TOMS_JOB_STEP_1 @params

I'm trying to implement a stored procedure which will read SP names and parameters from a database table and execute them. Problem is that SQL Server seems to insist that each and every parameter is individually declared in the EXECUTE statement. I can think of longer ways of doing this but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to a simple solution?

It is important that the return value is handled similar to the above.

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think this could work only if you specifically write the target SPs to accept one single parameter, and then to break up the parameter itself.

Do you really need to do this in a SP, it would be much easier to write some client code to read all the SPs from the DB and then call each of them.

If you really need it to be done on the DB end you could write a .Net/CLR function to do it on the DB end. You could then call that from your 'master' SP if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you're saying but unfortunately changing all the target SPs is not a runner.

We currently run all these SPs using SQL Servers in-built Job Manager. Our company was recently sold and our new parent company is forcing many changes on us. The SQL Server Job Scheduler is no longer a runner so we're looking at a method of replicating it using a single master SP that reads schedule info from a database table and executes each step generically.

Sounds daft.. but that's how it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Parent companies seem to love imposing new standards :)

I think your best bet so will be the user defined function called from your master SP.

Well.. after at least 50 different permutations and combinations I finally managed to get this to work using the following recommendations as an example -

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/462312/executing-stored-procedure-via-sp-executesql

Basically I can now run a stored procedure with any amount of variables held within a string variable and receive the return value of within that SP.

Happy days... I think... I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Well.. after at least 50 different permutations and combinations I finally managed to get this to work using the following recommendations as an example -

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/462312/executing-stored-procedure-via-sp-executesql

Basically I can now run a stored procedure with any amount of variables held within a string variable and receive the return value of within that SP.

Happy days... I think... I hope :)

Usually referred to as dynamic SQL. You should make sure these types of queries don't introduce any security and/or performance issues.

This is particularly true if you are using EXEC and building the query with string concatenation instead of prepared statements.

• Advertisement

I always thought of dynamic SQL as SQL statements generated within your code on the fly... the database doesn't store them so they aren't optimized.

In this case we are calling pre-compiled stored procedures that already exist in the database. We're just not hard-coding the code that calls them.

I don't think it should be an issue... but given the way this parent company operate you never know.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I always thought of dynamic SQL as SQL statements generated within your code on the fly... the database doesn't store them so they aren't optimized.

In this case we are calling pre-compiled stored procedures that already exist in the database. We're just not hard-coding the code that calls them.

I don't think it should be an issue... but given the way this parent company operate you never know.

Well, the dynamic SQL would, in this case, be the call to the stored procedure. If I understand your solution correctly.

Whether or not it has security implications is variable and mostly dependant on the source of the parameters for the query. Can they be manipulated by a end user at some point?

For instance, in this code:
    DECLARE @params nvarchar(255)
    DECLARE @query nvarchar(500)

-- Is params controllable by the user? Could they inject sql?
    set @params  = '@table_name = ''Users''; SELECT 1'

set @query = 'sp_tables '+ @params
    EXEC sp_executesql @query

If @params was built off user input, a user might be able to inject additional queries or parameters. In this case I added SELECT 1 to show that more than one query can be executed.

You are probably fine. It's just dynamic sql, much like eval() or similar constructs, tend to inadvertently open security issues; so it's worth reviewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Well, the dynamic SQL would, in this case, be the call to the stored procedure. If I understand your solution correctly.

Whether or not it has security implications is variable and mostly dependant on the source of the parameters for the query. Can they be manipulated by a end user at some point?

For instance, in this code:
    DECLARE @params nvarchar(255)

set @params  = '@table_name = ''Users''; SELECT 1'

set @query = 'sp_tables '+ @params

If @params was built off user input, a user might be able to inject additional queries or parameters. In this case I added SELECT 1 to show that more than one query can be executed.

You are probably fine. It's just dynamic sql, much like eval() or similar constructs, tend to inadvertently open security issues; so it's worth reviewing.

How is it dynamic SQL? The SQL isn't changing is it?

Galtee wrote: »

It's not "dynamic", because I hardcoded the params. But as you would see from the comment above the set @params:

My point is, if say 'Users' there was set by the user (i.e. they supplied the table name), they could conceivably add to the query.

I maybe should have used this as a better example:
    CREATE PROCEDURE ExecuteQuery
    	@proc nvarchar(50),
    	@params nvarchar(255)
    AS

set @query = @proc + ' ' + @params
    GO

The point is, if the user can control @proc and/or @params in some way, there could be a vulnerability.

Fortunatley the parameters are being held in a database table that is not accessible by standard users, will rarely change and if they had to be changed then it would go through change management.

We're just replacing a DBA managed job schedule with a facility of our own that will run in conjunction with AutoSys for job scheduling. The entire process will be Developer/Administrator managed.

So, in this regard, it should be low risk.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

No, but it's a dynamically created query as opposed to a static query or compiled one. It's execution and scope is unknown until it is run.

No, but it's a dynamically created query as opposed to a static query or compiled one. It's execution and scope is unknown until it is run.

I wouldn't entirely agree with that statement.

In this instance the stored procedures are already compiled and stored in the database.

All we are doing is creating code to call them dynamically.

So the database knows that the SPs are there and how they are structured. In this instance it just doesn't know how they are going to be called which is fair enough... given you could write an external app that will talk to the database and call SPs with parameters... and the Db would be none the wiser.

Giblet wrote: »

What? Dynamic SQL is SQL that's built on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What? Dynamic SQL is SQL that's built on the fly.
    I was explaining that.. not explaining any examples in this thread.

You could argue whether it's dynamic or not to you are blue in the face, but for the most part it doesn't matter (I've had enough semantic disputes for this week).

The original point was using EXEC (and sp_executesql) can be potentially dangerous as generally they are used to execute user input of some description which often bypasses many of the typical safeguards built-in.

My take is dynamic SQL is an SQL that is built and executed in SQL at run-time. The original example given was hardcoded @params to represent how a parameter variables value *may* have been tampered with.

Obviously, the @params nvarchar value was not really dynamic in the example, as it could not have changed any place in the small snippet.

It'd be highly unlikely to see variables with constant values (note constant variables generally they don't exist in SQL implementations) used as an actual query , as it would be pointless: you would just execute the SQL directly. Much like you wouldn't expect to see int two = 1 + 1; in code. :P

Unless I'm missing something obvious which could well be the case and it wouldn't be the first time I can't see what the issue is with security based on the original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Unless I'm missing something obvious which could well be the case and it wouldn't be the first time I can't see what the issue is with security based on the original question.

Variables not being escaped could lead to sql injection attacks, is how it appears to me.

Generally speaking stored procedures offer protection from a lot of attacks due to the parameterised call and the inability to do SQL injection from it (depending, of course).

By building dynamic SQL to execute the stored procedure, the risk is increased, as you are now responsible for this sanitisation.

This explains some of the concerns (and the article in general is a good resource on dynamic sql in MS SQL Server):
    http://www.sommarskog.se/dynamic_sql.html#SQL_injection

I'm not suggesting the user would bring in security issues, but these kind of messy tasks (much uses of eval), that his new management are bringing in are typical changes that introduce security issues, as they are often poorly researched quick fixes.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Variables not being escaped could lead to sql injection attacks, is how it appears to me.

Oh I see. and how would you inject the SQL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

exploits_of_a_mom.png
    Oh I see. and how would you inject the SQL?

Dirty variables being inserted into the query dynamically.

• Advertisement

ChRoMe wrote: »
    exploits_of_a_mom.png

Dirty variables being inserted into the query dynamically.

Oh, OK, I was under the impression that parameters were not evaluated as part of the SQL ie they were treated as data.

** My whole world is crumbling**

Oh, OK, I was under the impression that parameters were not evaluated as part of the SQL ie they were treated as data.

** My whole world is crumbling**

If they were stored procedures, they would be treated as data generally (depending on how they are called).

Dynamic SQL pretty much means executing the result string concatenation. If the values originate from users, security vulnerabilities could arise. It's usually how SQL injection appears in the first place.

The point I was trying to get at is that often people think about sanitising/stopping SQL injection in code, which is usually where it's handled. But when you introduce things like dynamic SQL, you might accidentally introduce a new attack surface.

If they were stored procedures, they would be treated as data generally (depending on how they are called).

Dynamic SQL pretty much means executing the result string concatenation. If the values originate from users, security vulnerabilities could arise. It's usually how SQL injection appears in the first place.

The point I was trying to get at is that often people think about sanitising/stopping SQL injection in code, which is usually where it's handled. But when you introduce things like dynamic SQL, you might accidentally introduce a new attack surface.

Now I see. excellent point.

Advertisement