Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake....

Options
  • 29-08-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Please.
    Can anyone recommend a good take away Cake shop/bakery in or around Galway thats not to expensive, not the normal dry genetic cake that most seem to sell,
    I'm looking for a nice soft, moist coffee cafe or a good tiramisu to have as a nice treat.
    Thank You.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Griffins bakery at the bottom of shop street - Yer only man for yummy cakes / bread etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yep agree on Griffins. M&S do a great boxed Coffee Cake too, very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Looks like i'll be visiting Griffins soon but please keep your recommendations coming. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Gourmet Tart in Salthill (and in the city centre but Salthill one is bigger/better), absolutely gorgeous cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Le Petit Delice on Mainguard St is my favourite at the mo, gorgeous french bakery at excellent prices. Everything from toblerone cheesecake to in house baked french bread and pastries. They have an outlet beside mortons in salthill too!:) They do both coffee cake and tiramasu.

• Advertisement

Eviledna wrote: »
    Le Petit Delice on Mainguard St is my favourite at the mo, gorgeous french bakery at excellent prices. Everything from toblerone cheesecake to in house baked french bread and pastries. They have an outlet beside mortons in salthill too!:) They do both coffee cake and tiramasu.

Ahh drooling.... now that sounds good.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you're tempted to make one try Nigellas baileys tiramisu it's gorgeous and so easy to make and is even nicer a day or two later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Their Lemon Meringue is unreal but the Toblerone Cheesecake is gelatinous and tasteless in my opinion.

Their Lemon Meringue is unreal but the Toblerone Cheesecake is gelatinous and tasteless in my opinion.

I'd agree, but there's always two camps on cheesecake, those who like the dense baked version (me) and those who like the lighter wobblier gelatinous type,
    but everything else I've tried in there has been really lovely, especially their passion fruit mouse cake...drool. :D

I'd agree, but there's always two camps on cheesecake, those who like the dense baked version (me) and those who like the lighter wobblier gelatinous type,
    but everything else I've tried in there has been really lovely, especially their passion fruit mouse cake...drool. :D

Ha Edna, passion fruit mouse cake, yummy!! :D

Yep you're right about cheesecakes, I hate hate hate baked ones, I like the wibbly light non baked ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^ Nah, the baked ones are far, far nicer! The non-baked are a bit... anaemic.

The baked is so dense and cheesy and gross, nope, will be sticking with my fluffy light ones! Baileys cheesecake, ultimate nom.

Acoshla wrote: »
    Ha Edna, passion fruit mouse cake, yummy!! :D

Yep you're right about cheesecakes, I hate hate hate baked ones, I like the wibbly light non baked ones!

Hee hee :) damn phone spelling strikes again! Although mice do like cheese... ;)
    Alas an early gone-off trifle experience put me off gelatine based desserts for life! Shudder...so wobbly...ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I am firmly in the baked cheesecake camp. Dense deliciousness. :)

+1 for Le Petit Delice. Everything I've sampled from there has been fabulous. The Gourmet Tart is also good, but can be a bit pricey. I don't like Griffin's at all. I don't know what it is about the place. Some of their breads are lovely, but their desserts can be a bit meh, and I really don't like their scones. I always get that weird dry-mouth sensation after eating them, whatever causes it.

I know! What is with their scones?? Wayy to much baking soda, it's like chewing on calgon.

Griffins is ultimate frustration for me, their brownies look so good, their cakes so traditional, but one bite and...meh. Never sweet or rich enough with far too much fake whippy cream.

Anyone remember le breton french bakery in Shantalla years ago? Made the best pain au chocolat ever. Size of your head. (Had small head as a child!)

Was finally heading into town today and headed to shop street to Griffins and Le Petit Delice.

I could not fine Le Petit Delice so i went to Griffins instead,

I bought a chocolate eclair, a Almond finger and a Coffee cake (about 6'x 3") that was €13.60 altoghter. well i was disappointed so say the least.
    The eclair, well it wasn't bad but not very good though I'd say 5/10.
    The Almond finger type thing was nice enough, 7/10
    The Coffee cake looked ok but when i tasted it, was the same old cake i was trying to avoid so i had a slice at home and the rest went in the bin. 3/10

I was on the way back to the car when i spotted Le Petit Delice, had no more "cake" money left so i just looked in and it looked gorgeous! They must have thought i was some kind of nutter drooling in the window.
    The Tiramisu slice looked fantastic, all the other things looked just as good. but haven't tasted them yet.
    They will have to wait till next week.....

I finally got into town again and called into Le Petit Delice.
    What a difference, It was fantastic, very good indeed,
    It is a bit pricy for me but sure was worth it. :D

Advertisement