Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going travelling and need phone

Options
  • 29-08-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Im going abroad and am looking for a reasonably priced smartphone that has most of the following features

internet browsing( banking and booking flights )
    wifi
    video calling
    email with attachments
    music player
    radio
    voip
    word and excel editing
    gps and maps
    compass

ive seen the samsung europa mentioned on another thread as a good cheap smartphone option but It doesnt have video calling and Im not sure if it has word/excel editing options

I also need a basic phone suitable for an older person that receives video calls and is easy to use as I need to keep in touch with home.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Video calling rules out nearly all "cheap" phones.

Unless you get a Nokia, or buy a dedicated navigation app, the GPS and maps function will require data to work. WiFi is free, but when you're in a place where you might need a map, you usually don't have handy WiFi.. (Even with pre-loaded maps, you'll need to use a very small amount of data to get a quick position when you're in a built-up area)

QuickOffice lets you edit word/excel docs, but doing this work on any kind of a mobile gets old very quickly (although you could at least "drive" the phone from a bluetooth keyboard and mouse). It's preloaded on many Nokias, and is available for purchase on Android or Apple phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blsw

Thanks for the reply. I thought video calling would be a nice way to keep in touch but seeing as it works out too expensive ill go without it.

Im not crazy on using maps or gps on the phone so they are not essential. can anyone recommend a phone that is good for the following

internet browsing( banking and booking flights )
    wifi
    email with attachments
    music player
    radio
    voip

Advertisement