Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why no fiber to Skerries?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi eircom

I see you will be doing fiber in Donabate, when UPC there already (it is in news today)

Why not do fibre to Skerries, it has no UPC broadband, and is up the road with lot of houses all having trouble getting more than 5mb on NGB.

Bad investment in Donabate with UPC there now. Skerries could be big for you if you invest there

Kristopher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

dermatrov wrote: »
    Hi eircom

I see you will be doing fiber in Donabate, when UPC there already (it is in news today)

Why not do fibre to Skerries, it has no UPC broadband, and is up the road with lot of houses all having trouble getting more than 5mb on NGB.

Bad investment in Donabate with UPC there now. Skerries could be big for you if you invest there

Kristopher

Hi dermatrov
    yes that is a point. This is just the first phase in fibre roll out with many more areas being added. There are a few elements in deciding which ones were chosen first, ( suitability of existing infrastructure, permissions from local council, test areas in a varity of areas).
    We have had strong Skerries presence asking for this already today. I would be pretty sure that it will be included in a later phase.
    Can not say when as yet.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dermatrov

HI Tony

According to your own website, Skerries will get upgraded in phase 4 - December 2013.......

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Announces_Full_Year_Results_30_June_2012_/

How can this make any commercial sense?

Donabate & Balbriggan that already have UPC are getting upgraded before Skerries & Rush?

Is there any way this can be reviewd?

Average exchange speeds in Skerries are less than 5Mb.....:mad:

If enough Skerries/Rush residents request fibre, would this be reconsidered?

Thanks

Dermatrov

Hi dermatrov
    yes that is a point. This is just the first phase in fibre roll out with many more areas being added. There are a few elements in deciding which ones were chosen first, ( suitability of existing infrastructure, permissions from local council, test areas in a varity of areas).
    We have had strong Skerries presence asking for this already today. I would be pretty sure that it will be included in a later phase.
    Can not say when as yet.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

dermatrov wrote: »
    HI Tony

According to your own website, Skerries will get upgraded in phase 4 - December 2013.......

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Announces_Full_Year_Results_30_June_2012_/

How can this make any commercial sense?

Donabate & Balbriggan that already have UPC are getting upgraded before Skerries & Rush?

Is there any way this can be reviewd?

Average exchange speeds in Skerries are less than 5Mb.....:mad:

If enough Skerries/Rush residents request fibre, would this be reconsidered?

Thanks

Dermatrov

Hi Dermatrov,

Apologies for the delay in getting to you. I speaking to our fibre networks team and they advised that "The roll out of the fibre scheme is planned in stages. The time-frames are mainly dictated by areas where the existing network can easily be modified for fibre, as well as the demand and projections within the targeted exchanges / areas"

I am afraid there is a set roll-out plan for fibre and although we can defiantly pass on your feedback . We have been advised that the works already underway is geared to try insure each stage is completed as quickly as possible so that the next phase is started and hopefully completed on time.

I appreciate your point, and I know -

Skerries
    Dublin
    Phase IV
    December 2013

Seems like a long way off but we are trying to insure an improved service and a variety of options for customer nationwide. However we have been advised the fibre roll-out plan / phases have to progress as outlined.

Sorry I could not get back to with better news.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement