Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Grants Not Processed In County Council?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Just to let people , especially naive first years like myself , that if you have applied for a maintenance grant through your Local County Council - RING THEM.

I applied for mine in July , when I didn't know where I was going to end up and it was all going well , until today.

Rang the South Dublin County Council and they informed me that all grant application for DIT are processed through your local Vocational Education Committee NOT THE COUNCIL.

so, in other words, my application hasn't even been registered with anyone yet because the council cannot process it and they now have to send it to the VEC.

absolute nightmare. crazy system. Jesus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ranger123

paul4green wrote: »
    crazy system. Jesus.

are you sure there`s a system in the first place?

last year i applied to grant and they requested some documents which a submitted in the following day, geuss wht? after 3 month they told me that they didnt got this docs and the good things in that day a lady confirmed the docs in yellow page for me and i kept that and showed it for them then they start saying oh sorry that mean we can locate it thus you have to provide it again, i started the process again and when went back to submit it 4 2nd time, geuss wht? they said oh we have located your previous docs and we r sorry.!!

this year for renew i submitted the exams results on June, i went to them last week after i have`t got feed back and geuss wht, they said you didnt submitted the results, isaid to the lady your personally recieved it from me how you can simply keeping saying these things for me everytime over and over.!!

based on 100s things happend to me i can say with full mouth THERE`S NO SYSTEM AT ALL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

says it on the sheet(or online somewhere)

If your going to an Institute of technology apply to your local VEC
    If you are going to a University apply to your local County Council

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Not true.

I'm in DIT, mine is processed by the county council.

If you are doing a level 8, it's processed by your county council, if you're doing a level 6/7 then its via your VEC

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paula_K

Not true.

I'm in DIT, mine is processed by the county council.

If you are doing a level 8, it's processed by your county council, if you're doing a level 6/7 then its via your VEC

I'm doing a level 8 course and it's processed by the VEC. Didn't even know you could process grants through the County Council, does it vary from County to County?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

This is what I mean. It's so confusing. some counties do process Institute's of Technology grants whilst others get the VEC to do them :O

I rang the VEC in Tallaght today and they said bring the documents that you brought to the County Council, which I did.

I got there and then the lady asked me for more documents which I didn't have on me :( so I had to go home and by then it was too late !

the Council wanted :
    - Birth cert
    - ID
    - JC results(proof of Irish residency for 3 years)
    - All income on a P21, don't expect p60's in SDCC.

VEC wanted :
    -Birth cert
    - ID
    -JC results
    -LC results
    -CAO offer
    - P21, P60
    -Social welfare statement.

ridic.

• Advertisement

Paula_K wrote: »
    I'm doing a level 8 course and it's processed by the VEC. Didn't even know you could process grants through the County Council, does it vary from County to County?

It must do, but in every case I have heard throughout all my friends (Both in Dublin and in Kildare) lvl 8 has been CC and lvl6/7 has been VEC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mausram

From http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/grants/#A1

You should apply to your Local Authority if you intend to study at a university

You should apply to your VEC if you intend to study at an Institute of Technology, such as DIT.

Important: As of 2011/12, all new applicants intending to study at DIT should apply to their VEC for a grant. This is regardless of what level of qualification you intend to study.

mausram wrote: »

You should apply to your VEC if you intend to study at an Institute of Technology, such as DIT.

Important: As of 2011/12, all new applicants intending to study at DIT should apply to their VEC for a grant. This is regardless of what level of qualification you intend to study.

I stand corrected so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

mausram wrote: »

Knew I wasn't seeing things

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liambob1

I stand corrected so!

My grant was always handled by the county council, and my renewal is also being handled by the county council and was approved ages ago, its probably only applicable to new applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

I got my grant sorted today :D but the lady in the VEC told me that it's only from THIS year that DIT grants are being processed by the VEC.

However all old grants , for example , a grant from last year - will still be processed by the County Council .

Advertisement