Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of friesian heifer calves

• 29-08-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Im considering selling some late calving heifer calves. have 10, 5 born in april, 2 in may, 3 in july.
    For the bunch what should i be looking for?
    they are out of a stock bull and from full pedigree.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

assuming that is your ad on donedeal, i would say you are round about right... also i had br/fr bulls at the mart last week that where 2 weeks old and the best made 275 , so maybe ask 400 for the month old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

no i didnt put ad on donedeal. €400 for younger ones and €450 for older ones. is that about right?

theres an ad in the wanted section of done deal of a guy from tipperary looking for calves like yours, no harm to ring and see what he's willing to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭stanflt

Miller80 wrote: »
    Im considering selling some late calving heifer calves. have 10, 5 born in april, 2 in may, 3 in july.
    For the bunch what should i be looking for?
    they are out of a stock bull and from full pedigree.

what kind of EBI have they-what are their kg milk fat and proteins- what are their %like- how do they score on fertility

they are out of an oman stock bull. average ebi for 10 of them is 122.Will have to check kgs milk and %'s. Fertility wouldnt be the best as these are the later calving cows.

• Advertisement

they are out of an oman stock bull. average ebi for 10 of them is 122.Will have to check kgs milk and %'s. Fertility wouldnt be the best as these are the later calving cows.

what had that got to do with the animals fertility:eek:

a few of the cows are minus in fertility sub index and these are the cows with average calving interval of around 400 days.

a few of the cows are minus in fertility sub index and these are the cows with average calving interval of around 400 days.

winter men would be very happy with that

are you in winter or are you 100% spring?

are you in winter or are you 100% spring?

40% winter calving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

i bought a few pedigree calves this year.all about a month old and priced from 180--300. some of yours are older so should do better but whats a july calf going to look like in nov. at housing. that backward weaning may need to be penned under straw away from older weanings. calves after may are a hard sell. my guess would be 3400 the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

whelan1 wrote: »
    theres an ad in the wanted section of done deal of a guy from tipperary looking for calves like yours, no harm to ring and see what he's willing to pay
    There was a fella looking for dairy heifers on donedeal in July I rang him to see what he would give for incalf heifers ai'd in May he offered €600 each over the phone :rolleyes:

There was a fella looking for dairy heifers on donedeal in July I rang him to see what he would give for incalf heifers ai'd in May he offered €600 each over the phone :rolleyes:
    now he is a time waster:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

whelan1 wrote: »
    now he is a time waster:rolleyes:
    I would call him more of a chancer than a time waster ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

I sold 5 mox heifer calves 10 to 15 days old got €260 to €315 in mart last week Loads of inquires for more :D

Advertisement