Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No living space in Dublin

Options
  • 29-08-2011 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Anyone else get the feeling that ordinary people are being priced out of the property market? I dont feel that this is a deliberate effort, simply a by product of capitalism, where people with land try to make as much money from it as possible, which is only natural. I do think, though, that my and my partner's salary wouldnt be enough to afford the house I grew up in (a 3 bed semi on the Northside).

I also think that by the time my kids (when I have them) grow up, they wont be able to afford to buy the house they grow up in.

I understand the causes, increased population and longer life spans etc. But surely this is going to become a huge problem eventually? Im quite worried about this, because I dont know how to plan for the future. I dont want to be tied down to a 30 mortgage, and be scrimping my whole life away. This must be a huige concern for people without jobs too. I sympathise with SOME of the people who rioted in England. It seems that most governments are only really concerned with how the budget balances, and not with social problems, like housing and crime.

Honestly, I think I would prefer to work and save up loads of money, and move to some cheap country in South America, than spend my whole life lining someone else's pockets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Anyone else get the feeling that ordinary people are being priced out of the property market? I dont feel that this is a deliberate effort, simply a by product of capitalism, where people with land try to make as much money from it as possible, which is only natural. I do think, though, that my and my partner's salary wouldnt be enough to afford the house I grew up in (a 3 bed semi on the Northside).

I also think that by the time my kids (when I have them) grow up, they wont be able to afford to buy the house they grow up in.

I understand the causes, increased population and longer life spans etc. But surely this is going to become a huge problem eventually? Im quite worried about this, because I dont know how to plan for the future. I dont want to be tied down to a 30 mortgage, and be scrimping my whole life away. This must be a huige concern for people without jobs too. I sympathise with SOME of the people who rioted in England. It seems that most governments are only really concerned with how the budget balances, and not with social problems, like housing and crime.

Honestly, I think I would prefer to work and save up loads of money, and move to some cheap country in South America, than spend my whole life lining someone else's pockets.

The causes are the property bubble. It's got little to do with life spans or population. It's because people bought something for 400,000 which may be worth as little as 150 grand now, and they don't want to admit it to themselves now, so they're holding on for mortgage forgiveness, because they gambled and lost.

Currently prices are dropping. THey have been dropping for the last five years, and they're probably not going to stop unless something incredibly unlikely happens.

People are leaving the country, we have billions of euro in public debt, which has to be taxed, we have a massive level of unemployment, we have a bunch of feckless idiots who will vote in the next populist liars who promise cash for everyone, and the end result will be that no one will have two pennies to rub together. Prices will fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Acoustic Fanatic

Thanks for your reply, Snake, although I respectfully disagree. I understand your points, but my point is that even if prices do fall, there will be a line of people waiting to buy, most of whom will earn more money than I do. This will drive the prices back up, and it will return to being a seller's market eventually.

I think life spans do affect prices, as people living longer will mean there is a longer turnaround in the "life" of a physical house (from when it is initially bought, to when it will return to the market). This will mean that the number of houses required for Dublin will continue to increase, in line with population.

The government are staying uninvolved, as long as they can tax the hole off all parties, and the developers are holding off new projects until they can maximise their profit margins (once wages fall in the construction sector). The whole scenarion reminds me of the world oil situation. The producers set the prices, and we are left without a choice, which , ironically, is one of the cornerstone's of a capitalist market. If only America would invade...

Snakeblood wrote: »
    The causes are the property bubble. It's got little to do with life spans or population. It's because people bought something for 400,000 which may be worth as little as 150 grand now, and they don't want to admit it to themselves now, so they're holding on for mortgage forgiveness, because they gambled and lost.

Currently prices are dropping. THey have been dropping for the last five years, and they're probably not going to stop unless something incredibly unlikely happens.

People are leaving the country, we have billions of euro in public debt, which has to be taxed, we have a massive level of unemployment, we have a bunch of feckless idiots who will vote in the next populist liars who promise cash for everyone, and the end result will be that no one will have two pennies to rub together. Prices will fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

..my point is that even if prices do fall, there will be a line of people waiting to buy, most of whom will earn more money than I do. This will drive the prices back up, and it will return to being a seller's market eventually.

That's the nature of supply and demand. A house is like a Mercedes, there is no absolute right for you to be able to own one.

I think life spans do affect prices, as people living longer will mean there is a longer turnaround in the "life" of a physical house (from when it is initially bought, to when it will return to the market). This will mean that the number of houses required for Dublin will continue to increase, in line with population.

Good point - although where there is demand there usually is someone attempting to fill it.

The government are staying uninvolved, as long as they can tax the hole off all parties, and the developers are holding off new projects until they can maximise their profit margins (once wages fall in the construction sector). The whole scenarion reminds me of the world oil situation. The producers set the prices, and we are left without a choice, which , ironically, is one of the cornerstone's of a capitalist market. If only America would invade...

America? The champion of self-centred capitalism?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The producers set the prices, and we are left without a choice, which , ironically, is one of the cornerstone's of a capitalist market. If only America would invade...

There are lots of choices apart from buying a house in Dublin.
    You can rent, get social housing, live with mammy, inherit, leave the country etc.

That's the nature of supply and demand. A house is like a Mercedes, there is no absolute right for you to be able to own one.

Hmm, yeah, but I think we can all agree that a home is not a luzury. I dont expect a mansion, but I dont want to raise kids in an apartment.

Good point - although where there is demand there usually is someone attempting to fill it.

I agree, but the simple model of supply and demand cant be applied to property, as it is also a resource. As such, this resource is becoming unaccessible in Dublin to people earning normal/modest wages. Essentially, land hoarding, which is not a new phenomenon.

To be honest, this is as unfair to the people who are paying three hundred grand for a house as it is to people who cant afford to own one.

America? The champion of self-centred capitalism?

Haha, it would help the economy by exporting terror.

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »
    There are lots of choices apart from buying a house in Dublin.
    You can rent, get social housing, live with mammy, inherit, leave the country etc.

Hahahaha where do I start?

Rent - As expensive as buying
    Social housing - Do you think there would be more or less competition for social housing than normal housing?
    Live with Mammy - That's what I am doing. Not exactly cool when you're 25.
    Inherit - I will inherit debt, most likely
    Leave the country - Looking into it
    Etc - What etcetera?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

The producers set the prices, and we are left without a choice, which , ironically, is one of the cornerstone's of a capitalist market. If only America would invade...
    Your post is very confused. In your first paragraph you complained that people with more money than you will be lining up to buy and drive up prices. Here you're complaining about producers setting the prices.

What are you expecting the government to do for someone earning a below average wage?

Thanks for your reply, Snake, although I respectfully disagree. I understand your points, but my point is that even if prices do fall, there will be a line of people waiting to buy, most of whom will earn more money than I do. This will drive the prices back up, and it will return to being a seller's market eventually.

Prices won't go back up for 20 years. There's no reason for them to do so. We have a culture of emigration, a nation that has been badly burned by property, a massive supply of housing that Nama is holding to realise value on, taxes rising, unemployment rising. What is going to make the price go up? Bearing in mind that the population increase you mention will be ameliorated by emigration and taxation.

sharper wrote: »
    Your post is very confused. In your first paragraph you complained that people with more money than you will be lining up to buy and drive up prices. Here you're complaining about producers setting the prices.

What are you expecting the government to do for someone earning a below average wage?

I dont understand your post. I think they are both legitimate points.

In my view, the government need to look after everyone. I'm not talking about hand outs, or the dole, or any of that stuff. But everyone needs to be included in the plan for the future. This government, and apparently, most governments, are not including everyone in their plans for the future. Maybe they dont even have a plan and are just letting "economic" nature take it's course.

How many people earn below the average wage? I would guess 49%. Does that mean that these people should be crammed into one bed apartments, while everyone else has a driveway, a garden and two bathrooms?

I dont understand your post. I think they are both legitimate points.

In my view, the government need to look after everyone. I'm not talking about hand outs, or the dole, or any of that stuff. But everyone needs to be included in the plan for the future. This government, and apparently, most governments, are not including everyone in their plans for the future. Maybe they dont even have a plan and are just letting "economic" nature take it's course.

How many people earn below the average wage? I would guess 49%. Does that mean that these people should be crammed into one bed apartments, while everyone else has a driveway, a garden and two bathrooms?

You don't seem to be acknowledging that prices are dropping, and don't seem to be slowing down.

Why do you mean 'plans for the future'? Like laying out a public works program? What with? What would you like them to do, and how do you want them to pay for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Acoustic Fanatic,

House prices in Ireland are nothing to do with normal Supply vs Demand. They are to do with the ridiculous over supply of cheap credit due to Ireland joining a strong currency union which has become the death of us economically. This is a once in a life time abnormal event.

Prices will return to more normal levels in time but very very slowly.

So why have they not returned to normal yet? The market has been propped up by various directives to the state owned banks viz a viz not repossessing homes. There's lots of blustering going on at the moment. Parties trying to get the debt forgiveness introduced etc. This won't happen as the money isn't there and there's no way the IMF would agree to it. However it further delays the inevitable.

My only advice is patience and lots of it. Another 4 years at the current pace in my opinion.

And me. I'm very frustratingly waiting on the sidelines with a large cash deposit from sensibly selling out long before the **** hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

This is very vague. What do plans for everyone look like if they don't include hand-outs?
    Why would a property market ever take that shape? If we assume "Average wage" = "a driveway, a garden and two bathrooms?" when why would someone on 10% less than the average wage not be able to afford something with a driveway, garden and only one bathroom?

But sure ok let's say someone is earning 40% less than the average wage and he can only afford a one bedroom apartment. What's to be done for him? Why is he entitled to more than a one bedroom apartment? Because he wants it?

You don't seem to be acknowledging that prices are dropping, and don't seem to be slowing down.

Why do you mean 'plans for the future'? Like laying out a public works program? What with? What would you like them to do, and how do you want them to pay for it?

Dont get me wrong, I do know that prices are dropping. But I dont think they will drop to the level where they will be affordable for most people. Apartments will be made affordable, but I dont see that for houses.

I dont know what the government can do. I know that it is only them who can make a change. Property developers and banks will just do as they always have. I do think that the de-centralisation initiative a few years ago was a good idea, but they never followed through. That would have sorted out house prices, I think, by adding competition. Making different "hub" towns/cities would make sense. I wouldnt really want to move away from my family, but it would beat moving abroad.

sharper wrote: »
    This is very vague. What do plans for everyone look like if they don't include hand-outs??

Im not talking for or against handouts, they are off topic.
    Why would a property market ever take that shape? If we assume "Average wage" = "a driveway, a garden and two bathrooms?" when why would someone on 10% less than the average wage not be able to afford something with a driveway, garden and only one bathroom?

But sure ok let's say someone is earning 40% less than the average wage and he can only afford a one bedroom apartment. What's to be done for him? Why is he entitled to more than a one bedroom apartment? Because he wants it?

Im not saying that either. But two people working should be able to afford a house, and not have to pay for it over thirty years. I dont think thats unreasonable. For a country with a low population and high emigration, there is very little incentive to get married and have children.

But two people working should be able to afford a house, and not have to pay for it over thirty years. I dont think thats unreasonable.

How long did it take your folks to buy their 3 bed semi?

Im not talking for or against handouts, they are off topic.

What is your topic apart from 'someone should do something about things'

Dont get me wrong, I do know that prices are dropping. But I dont think they will drop to the level where they will be affordable for most people. Apartments will be made affordable, but I dont see that for houses.

Based off what though? Have you done any research? In most countries, houses cost about 3.5 times the average industrial wage. We're currently about twice that, but things are improving. There are headlines all the time saying 'Ireland is suffering the largest price falls in history' which is actually a good thing. Do you know how much population is growing by? How much build costs have fallen?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DavidCochrane

I want to make clear, that I'm multi-quoting comments by Acoustic Fanatic, and if I'm taking out of context, I apologise, but I don't think I am.
    Anyone else get the feeling that ordinary people are being priced out of the property market? I dont feel that this is a deliberate effort, simply a by product of capitalism, where people with land try to make as much money from it as possible, which is only natural.

Prices are (on average) 42% off their height since during the boom - but surely the free market settles on a price that people are willing to pay. During the boom there was a lack of supply of housing, which was a result of demand which was fed by an over-supply of credit. This acted to drive up prices, as the banks were willing to give people more money, so they could bid against each-other for homes.

People selling homes would (naturally!) sell to the highest bidder, if lots of people want homes, and have lots of cash on loan, then that drives up the prices.
    I do think, though, that my and my partner's salary wouldnt be enough to afford the house I grew up in (a 3 bed semi on the Northside).

So you're predicting a future house that you buy will grow in price/value. This is another problem of the boom. Many people bought small pokey apartments for crazy money thinking it'll be a means to get them on the property ladder. That ladder was the place many people were allured to, with the idea that their property would burst in value and they could then move up to a more expensive/valuable property when they sold their place.
    I dont want to be tied down to a 30 mortgage, and be scrimping my whole life away. This must be a huige concern for people without jobs too. I sympathise with SOME of the people who rioted in England. It seems that most governments are only really concerned with how the budget balances, and not with social problems, like housing and crime.

So you don't want a loan to borrow money to make a purchase, yet you want to live in a house (not an apartment) in Dublin at a price that's below average. Ah here, I think this isn't very well thought out.

Wherever you live you'll probably be lining someone's pockets. That's if they want to sell/rent at a price that makes them some money above their margin. But lots of people in Ireland are in massive negative equity, that means the value of their property is below what their loan for the property is. But this is likely the same for many rental properties, when people are taking in less rental income than the cost of servicing a buy-to-let mortgage on the property. Buy-To-Lets were majorly promoted during that aul boom too.
    but my point is that even if prices do fall, there will be a line of people waiting to buy, most of whom will earn more money than I do. This will drive the prices back up, and it will return to being a seller's market eventually.

If there's a "line" of people will to buy then prices will rise. A "line of people" suggests there's demand. And basic economic theory says that demand exceeding supply means price will increase. Unless there's LOTS of supply. And HEY! we've lots of that. So if prices do go up, it's because the market cannot accommodate demand at the lower price; because people are encouraged to buy - which is a major thing NAMA wants to do, by the way.

If people are living longer, does it not suggest their loan-term could be a little bit longer too?

First, let's look at oil. There's a cartel to control the supply in order to set the price, this cartel from time to time responds to demand by adjusting the supply in a somewhat high level of confidence of what the price will be. It's essentially a oligopoly, but really a monopoly where OPEC is concerned.

Now, let's visit (briefly!) the point of the Gov being uninvolved. You say you don't know what you want them to do but say they should do something and that they're currently doing nothing. Ok, well yes, previous administrations absolutely minted it on stamp duty on homes, alongside encouraging home ownership by giving incentives to first time buyers. Ceding control of the exchange rate and interest rate didn't help it should be pointed out. Developers aren't holding off at the moment because they want to "maximise profit" - many of them have gone out of business because they were over leveraged during the boom and their debts now exceed their income, because (newsflash) people aren't buying houses at the prices they previous did. There are a handful of developers who are refusing point blank to drop their prices. Others have given in to the banks and creditors.
    Hmm, yeah, but I think we can all agree that a home is not a luzury. I dont expect a mansion, but I dont want to raise kids in an apartment.

So you have specific demands, as others do too, this means that if others want the exact same property as you do there will be price competition.
    I agree, but the simple model of supply and demand cant be applied to property, as it is also a resource. As such, this resource is becoming unaccessible in Dublin to people earning normal/modest wages. Essentially, land hoarding, which is not a new phenomenon.

Resources ARE subject to supply and demand. This is a comment where I don't think you understand what you're talking about.
    Haha, it would help the economy by exporting terror.
    :rolleyes:
    Rent - As expensive as buying

There's a bigger argument here, you don't want to have a 30 year mortgage, so a mortgage you would be paying would be MUCH more than rental yield. But in the current market I'm aware of many landlords who are actually subsiding their buy-to-let mortages from their own wages because the market won't pay a price they want.
    Social housing - Do you think there would be more or less competition for social housing than normal housing?
    Live with Mammy - That's what I am doing. Not exactly cool when you're 25.

So is this argument a social one then, or what? Sorry, you just don't want to live with mammy?
    Inherit - I will inherit debt, most likely

This is impossible, you cannot currently inherit someone else's debt. If someone dies it dies with them, or at least their debts are the problem for their estate. If your parents (say) have a home with a mortgage they may have insurance that writes off the debt. If not, then the bank will have a mark on the debts first. That's only fair.

Also - anyone who's relying on their parents to bail them out after their death is an idiot. You yourself said earlier that people are living longer - you should check out Ray Kurzweil's writing, he thinks people could become immortal within 30 years. The idea that anyone would hope their folks die in order to inherit (not death) is something none of us need talk about.
    Dont get me wrong, I do know that prices are dropping. But I dont think they will drop to the level where they will be affordable for most people.

They've never been affordable for most people. Most people have to get mortgages. But yes, property (imho) has been too expensive and thus they are coming down. Whether they'll come down to a price you're willing to afford (or are willing to pay) are based on whether there's competition for property.
    Apartments will be made affordable, but I dont see that for houses.

With the greatest of respect, beggers cannot be choosers. Those who want to buy a house will out-bid others if they can afford it. That's the economic market. The excellent people who keep this Boards.ie house in order also run Daft.ie - right now the cheapest house (that appears to not be derelict) is Dublin is a place in Fairview at just under €78,000, the most expensive is €8,000,000 - from 6183 properties for sale, there's a lot of choice. But everyone has to compromise, be it on location, size or price.
    I dont know what the government can do. I know that it is only them who can make a change.

This makes little change. You don't like the market, you want the Gov to do something. Have you acknowledged anything the government (and I don't mean political govs) have done? What about the affordable housing scheme? I know lots of people who've been able to buy homes on that basis.
    Property developers and banks will just do as they always have. I do think that the de-centralisation initiative a few years ago was a good idea, but they never followed through. That would have sorted out house prices, I think, by adding competition. Making different "hub" towns/cities would make sense. I wouldnt really want to move away from my family, but it would beat moving abroad.

Aye, you are right here, the FF/PD decrentralisation scheme was ridiculous, poorly executed and badly implemented. If I had bought a home thinking the Gov was moving a dept there and didn't I'd have sought legal advice over being misled by the state into a commercial transaction. But I'm no lawyer. Yet. ;)

[QUOTE=Acoustic Fanatic;74094758 But two people working should be able to afford a house, and not have to pay for it over thirty years. I dont think thats unreasonable. For a country with a low population and high emigration, there is very little incentive to get married and have children.[/QUOTE]

There is a difference between being able to afford a place to live anywhere in Ireland as opposed to "a house" in Dublin, which probably includes a garden etc. Houses (as opposed to apartments) tend to have a higher demand than apartments do outside of booms, as the people who are in the market are less likely to be speculators/ medium-term lettors and more likely people who want to buy a long-term property. What that tends to mean is that people will pay a bit more to live in a house. Again, this is a competing economic market, there are other people who want to live in a house, and who will pay more than you, and thus the price paid is higher.

What is your topic apart from 'someone should do something about things'

No need to be snide. I posted as I wanted to see if people felt similarly to me. I've been met mostly with needless hostility. Maybe, personally, I just feel a total lack of hope, as do many people my age.

No need to be snide. I posted as I wanted to see if people felt similarly to me. I've been met mostly with needless hostility. Maybe, personally, I just feel a total lack of hope, as do many people my age.

It sounds more like you are talking about how you feel and not how things are actually going though. Which is fair enough, but you're not engaging with what anyone is saying, you're just saying 'I don't feel good about it, someone should do something about it.'

Which is actually going to affect the housing market again, and drop prices, if enough people get discouraged enough to not try to get one.

Sorry for being snide, but I think I'm honestly appraising what you are saying. You're not coming up with solutions, and I don't feel your analysis is accurate. Most people disagree with you here, and that might not be needless hostility, that might just be you being wrong.

• Advertisement

I posted as I wanted to see if people felt similarly to me. I've been met mostly with needless hostility. Maybe, personally, I just feel a total lack of hope, as do many people my age.

If you really feel a lack of hope I suggest you look at life like I do.
    This world, this country, this government owe you nothing.
    If you want anything whether it be a 3 bed semi on the Northside or nice house in the country, only you can go and get it.
    Don't wait around, expecting anyone else to get it for you.

I want to make clear, that I'm multi-quoting comments by Acoustic Fanatic, and if I'm taking out of context, I apologise, but I don't think I am.

Prices are (on average) 42% off their height since during the boom - but surely the free market settles on a price that people are willing to pay. During the boom there was a lack of supply of housing, which was a result of demand which was fed by an over-supply of credit. This acted to drive up prices, as the banks were willing to give people more money, so they could bid against each-other for homes.

People selling homes would (naturally!) sell to the highest bidder, if lots of people want homes, and have lots of cash on loan, then that drives up the prices.

So you're predicting a future house that you buy will grow in price/value. This is another problem of the boom. Many people bought small pokey apartments for crazy money thinking it'll be a means to get them on the property ladder. That ladder was the place many people were allured to, with the idea that their property would burst in value and they could then move up to a more expensive/valuable property when they sold their place.

So you don't want a loan to borrow money to make a purchase, yet you want to live in a house (not an apartment) in Dublin at a price that's below average. Ah here, I think this isn't very well thought out.

Wherever you live you'll probably be lining someone's pockets. That's if they want to sell/rent at a price that makes them some money above their margin. But lots of people in Ireland are in massive negative equity, that means the value of their property is below what their loan for the property is. But this is likely the same for many rental properties, when people are taking in less rental income than the cost of servicing a buy-to-let mortgage on the property. Buy-To-Lets were majorly promoted during that aul boom too.

If there's a "line" of people will to buy then prices will rise. A "line of people" suggests there's demand. And basic economic theory says that demand exceeding supply means price will increase. Unless there's LOTS of supply. And HEY! we've lots of that. So if prices do go up, it's because the market cannot accommodate demand at the lower price; because people are encouraged to buy - which is a major thing NAMA wants to do, by the way.

If people are living longer, does it not suggest their loan-term could be a little bit longer too?

First, let's look at oil. There's a cartel to control the supply in order to set the price, this cartel from time to time responds to demand by adjusting the supply in a somewhat high level of confidence of what the price will be. It's essentially a oligopoly, but really a monopoly where OPEC is concerned.

Now, let's visit (briefly!) the point of the Gov being uninvolved. You say you don't know what you want them to do but say they should do something and that they're currently doing nothing. Ok, well yes, previous administrations absolutely minted it on stamp duty on homes, alongside encouraging home ownership by giving incentives to first time buyers. Ceding control of the exchange rate and interest rate didn't help it should be pointed out. Developers aren't holding off at the moment because they want to "maximise profit" - many of them have gone out of business because they were over leveraged during the boom and their debts now exceed their income, because (newsflash) people aren't buying houses at the prices they previous did. There are a handful of developers who are refusing point blank to drop their prices. Others have given in to the banks and creditors.

So you have specific demands, as others do too, this means that if others want the exact same property as you do there will be price competition.

Resources ARE subject to supply and demand. This is a comment where I don't think you understand what you're talking about.

:rolleyes:

There's a bigger argument here, you don't want to have a 30 year mortgage, so a mortgage you would be paying would be MUCH more than rental yield. But in the current market I'm aware of many landlords who are actually subsiding their buy-to-let mortages from their own wages because the market won't pay a price they want.

So is this argument a social one then, or what? Sorry, you just don't want to live with mammy?

This is impossible, you cannot currently inherit someone else's debt. If someone dies it dies with them, or at least their debts are the problem for their estate. If your parents (say) have a home with a mortgage they may have insurance that writes off the debt. If not, then the bank will have a mark on the debts first. That's only fair.

Also - anyone who's relying on their parents to bail them out after their death is an idiot. You yourself said earlier that people are living longer - you should check out Ray Kurzweil's writing, he thinks people could become immortal within 30 years. The idea that anyone would hope their folks die in order to inherit (not death) is something none of us need talk about.

They've never been affordable for most people. Most people have to get mortgages. But yes, property (imho) has been too expensive and thus they are coming down. Whether they'll come down to a price you're willing to afford (or are willing to pay) are based on whether there's competition for property.

With the greatest of respect, beggers cannot be choosers. Those who want to buy a house will out-bid others if they can afford it. That's the economic market. The excellent people who keep this Boards.ie house in order also run Daft.ie - right now the cheapest house (that appears to not be derelict) is Dublin is a place in Fairview at just under €78,000, the most expensive is €8,000,000 - from 6183 properties for sale, there's a lot of choice. But everyone has to compromise, be it on location, size or price.

This makes little change. You don't like the market, you want the Gov to do something. Have you acknowledged anything the government (and I don't mean political govs) have done? What about the affordable housing scheme? I know lots of people who've been able to buy homes on that basis.

Aye, you are right here, the FF/PD decrentralisation scheme was ridiculous, poorly executed and badly implemented. If I had bought a home thinking the Gov was moving a dept there and didn't I'd have sought legal advice over being misled by the state into a commercial transaction. But I'm no lawyer. Yet. ;)

There is a difference between being able to afford a place to live anywhere in Ireland as opposed to "a house" in Dublin, which probably includes a garden etc. Houses (as opposed to apartments) tend to have a higher demand than apartments do outside of booms, as the people who are in the market are less likely to be speculators/ medium-term lettors and more likely people who want to buy a long-term property. What that tends to mean is that people will pay a bit more to live in a house. Again, this is a competing economic market, there are other people who want to live in a house, and who will pay more than you, and thus the price paid is higher.

I take your points. Maybe it is just my idealistic, socialist ideas that clash with everyone else's. I fear that the current system is promoting disparity between the rich and the poor. I think that we are moving towards a more unequal society, similar to America's. In promoting the sole pursuit of money, we will cripple ourselves.

But hey, thats just my opinion.

People's reactions to this post have shown me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

He dose have a bit of a point, but he is not looking at it logically, houses have always being difficult to buy in most parts of Dublin, its a capital city people want to live there it where a lot of the work is.

Middle class areas with all the bells and whistle such as two forms of public transport, good schools, no social problems are always going to be expensive relative to the rest of the housing market ( no matter how much house prices fall )

So your choices are to move somewhere cheaper and have long commute.

I Know of a one bedroom apartment in Finglas village that sold for 90 thousand recently so all is not lost.

mariaalice wrote: »
    He dose have a bit of a point, but he is not looking at it logically, houses have always being difficult to buy in most parts of Dublin, its a capital city people want to live there it where a lot of the work is.

Middle class areas with all the bells and whistle such as two forms of public transport, good schools, no social problems are always going to be expensive relative to the rest of the housing market ( no matter how much house prices fall )

I Know of a one bedroom apartment in Finglas village that sold for 90 thousand recently so all is not lost.

Hmmm, yeah. A friend of mine was renting in Finglas last year. Someone banged on his door at three in the morning, a drunk guy walking past. The guy was tipping over bins and banging on doors. He went out to complain and got his face slashed outside his front door. He was lucky it wasnt worse.

I wouldnt live there for any amount of money, not for my own safety, but for my girlfriends.

mariaalice wrote: »

His point started off that prices were going to rise again soon, which is lunacy. Prices are dropping, and will drop more in the 'nice' areas, as the people who took lunatic mortgages find out that they can't pay, and that people simply can't or won't pay the asking price for them.

There will always be a premium for 'nice' areas, but ask yourself how many nice areas are in Dublin? There's a load of them. They can't all be upper end. Many of them are solidly average and will reset to the right level soon.

Acoustic Fanatic, do you and your girlfriend have jobs?

Two people who are working in Ireland would be able to afforded a house in Ireland
    the problem is it won't be where you want it, you just have to accept that.

My Daughter is a nurse and living in the uk, if she came home to live where she grew up she and her bf would not be able to buy a house there because the area is very expensive even with all the house price falls, but they would be able to buy in a near by area and over time work there way up to here, its always been like that.

Your are not looked out of the housing market, you just cant afford to live where you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Hmmm, yeah. A friend of mine was renting in Finglas last year. Someone banged on his door at three in the morning, a drunk guy walking past. The guy was tipping over bins and banging on doors. He went out to complain and got his face slashed outside his front door. He was lucky it wasnt worse.

I wouldnt live there for any amount of money, not for my own safety, but for my girlfriends.

Finglas has it's problems alright and is a place best avoided IMO.

Here's an example of an affordable 3 house in North Dublin in need of some TLC. Structurally it's fine though. It's in a reasonable and settled area. It's close to city centre with good bus service and not too far a walk to Dart.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/31-holly-road-donnycarney-dublin-5/1440127

It's going for €129k. I don't think you can ask for more than that.

Admittedly there's not much at that price point. However, it's only a matter of time.

I work near Donnycarney, that would be a nice settled area, lots of public transport you could walk in to the city centre form there. It would cost you a bit to bring that house to modern standards but so what you are young you could live in it and do it up as you go along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The banks should have never been allowed to give mortgages for the traditional standard which was 2.5 x primary income plus 1 x second income. We need to return to that.

This business of giving out multiples was crazy.

Advertisement