Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun Tales of Househunting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Rang another lot there who refused to take me because I'm a second year student, despite being almost 23 years of age.

So I could be a 21 year old final year student doing a doss course, and that somehow makes me more mature than a 23 year old Law student. Nice one.

She initially even tried to say they won't take students, despite the advert specifically saying they do.

We all have preconceptions tho, tbh you're only being hypocritical by making your assumption re 21 year old final students in so called 'doss courses'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

dearg lady wrote: »
    We all have preconceptions tho, tbh you're only being hypocritical by making your assumption re 21 year old final students in so called 'doss courses'
    I'm not making any assumptions, I am merely using their own unfair, discriminatory logic to compare the assumptions they make.

How is the year of someone's course more important than how old they are? Is a 20 year old final year student more likely to look after a house than a 40 year old first year?

I'm not making any assumptions, I am merely using their own unfair, discriminatory logic to compare the assumptions they make.

How is the year of someone's course more important than how old they are? Is a 20 year old final year student more likely to look after a house than a 40 year old first year?

none of these things are hard and fast rules, but we will have preconceptions. Perhaps in the past the landlord found final year students better and has now decided to limit to those. perhaps he's just put off by you for some other reason and is using this as an excuse.

none of these things are hard and fast rules, but we will have preconceptions. Perhaps in the past the landlord found final year students better and has now decided to limit to those.
    And what is the logic behind this? Surely it is that final year students are usually older, therefore more mature and more likely to be responsible tenants? Therefore isn't age more important than what stage of your course you are in?

The funny thing is, the other two people who would have been living with me are both final year... and younger than me.
    perhaps he's just put off by you for some other reason and is using this as an excuse.
    "Hello, just ringing in regards to the ______ property"
    "Ah yes"
    "Would it be possible to arrange a viewing?"

Not sure how that can put someone off. Was I supposed to open with an excerpt from a George Bernard Shaw novel or something?

And what is the logic behind this? Surely it is that final year students are usually older, therefore more mature and more likely to be responsible tenants? Therefore isn't age more important than what stage of your course you are in?

well no, that's just YOUR boas comin in to play. the landlord may have found that final year students of any age are better tenants, perhaps because they are going out less. I don't know, i'm merely speculating.

"Hello, just ringing in regards to the ______ property"
    "Ah yes"
    "Would it be possible to arrange a viewing?"

Not sure how that can put someone off. Was I supposed to open with an excerpt from a George Bernard Shaw novel or something?

Your attitude here is extremely offputting, perhaps potential landlords feel teh same way?
    Anyway, happy hunting, I have no desire to offer any further advice to soemone who so clearly knows it all already.

• Advertisement

well no, that's just YOUR boas comin in to play. the landlord may have found that final year students of any age are better tenants, perhaps because they are going out less. I don't know, i'm merely speculating.
    As am I. I don't know anyone who went out less in final year, apart from when they had exams. And besides, why would a a landlord care how often you go out - they're not paying your college fees.

Your attitude here is extremely offputting, perhaps potential landlords feel teh same way?
    Anyway, happy hunting, I have no desire to offer any further advice to soemone who so clearly knows it all already.
    You haven't offered any advice yet, so it's no great loss to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

A private landlord has every right to not let you his/her property based on whatever petty bias they may have.
    It sucks balls but there it is.

You haven't offered any advice yet, so it's no great loss to this thread.
    OP, maybe call instead of texting, some people can be funny about texts for doing business
    Your attitude here is extremely offputting, perhaps potential landlords feel the same way?
    perhaps I wasn't clear here, try to work on your telephone manner, there's plenty of advice, given by me. And your attitude still stinks

perhaps I wasn't clear here, try to work on your telephone manner, there's plenty of advice, given by me. And your attitude still stinks

My telephone manner is just fine. I have arranged numerous viewings, job interviews etc in the past.

Sorry if you think my attitude stinks, if it helps I will pretend that your advice is remotely helpful. Keep it up :pac:

Advertisement