Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live connection woes

• 29-08-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to help a friend get his xbox connected to live for quite a while now. He is with Chorus, and his router is a Cisco EPC2425. It has never gone beyond the point of Xbox -> Network and constantly gets an IP error message.

I had him go to the router page and open the ports as recommended here:
    . He couldn't edit the IP address as the guy in the video did, so I'm thinking static IP... Anyway, I also get him to go to Start -> Run -> CMD -> ipconfig and to put the IP address, subnet mask, gateway into the required fields. No joy. Still can't find IP address. So, someone can stop me here if the port forwarding in the video is incorrect.

Had him put in DNS info, still no joy. Had him do the Alternate Mac address. No joy. Had him call his ISP and they sent him off to xbox tech support, and he isn't getting through to them. He sent an email, but I don't know how timely or good their email support will be. Figured I should post this here see if someone can point out some obvious flaw I'm missing. I'm just at the mind boggle stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 halpin325

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Have gone through all of that with him, and still no joy. No idea if the ports in that video are right? I only realistically see either that, or somehow its with his console specifically. He brought his 360 over here, and when I set mine up here, I kept stuff at automatic, and I connected fine. He brought it over here, and had the same connection issue. Even when factory defaults were restored. Never had problem connecting my 360. So, it looks like it could be an issue with his 360. But that can't be right, surely, can it? Boggle, as I say.

Edit: Thanks for the timely response though.
    Edit 2: I also wanted to test out if it was his ethernet cable. I used mine, and it still wouldn't connect, so it means his ethernet cable isn't necessarily the problem.

So you have brought his console over to your house where you are able to connect fine and it won't work.
    Then you brought your console over to his house and it connected fine. and everything was set to auto in both tests.
    Am I correct?
    If you have been in contact with his ISP and they are sure there are no issues on their end and the internet on his computer is working, I would agree it could be the console. Problem is support will probably tell you to contact the ISP again, PM me and I know someone who will be able to help you get it looked at.

halpin325 wrote: »
    So you have brought his console over to your house where you are able to connect fine and it won't work.
    Then you brought your console over to his house and it connected fine. and everything was set to auto in both tests.
    Am I correct?
    If you have been in contact with his ISP and they are sure there are no issues on their end and the internet on his computer is working, I would agree it could be the console. Problem is support will probably tell you to contact the ISP again, PM me and I know someone who will be able to help you get it looked at.
    I haven't gotten around to the part of bringing my 360 over to his place yet. I know thats a step that I need to get done, but haven't had the opportunity to get this done yet. This thread is more a shot in the dark for some obvious thing I'm missing.

Hm... I had seen people post elsewhere online they have two or three 360s with the same router he had, so I didn't consider the possibility it was his router. After all, if it isn't a problem for others, it shouldn't be here. But... http://support.xbox.com/en-ie/pages/xbox-live/get-started/connecting/network-hardware-compatible-xbox-live.aspx (linksys by cisco) there is nothing to suggest the 2425 works. Oversight on the site?

Hm.. But if it was exclusively a router issue, ought it not have connected fine with my router? Granted I didn't get much time with his 360 here. Annoying, this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

I was with Chorus before and was having a similar problem, I called them up and were very freindly and walked me through step by step what to do to change settings on router and never had a problem since.

Well, you can try your console over at his place and see if it works. But I would suspect that if his console doesn't work over at your place where you know there is no issues as you can use the same connection fine. Then I would think it is any issue with the console.
    The issue is support will probably tell you its an issue with the connection or the settings on the router. I had a simular issue with my S console but I had only just bought so I swapped it out at the shop.
    I have a cousin who works at MS, he will be able to help you get it sorted.
    That list of routers are one that have been tested and certified that they will work so If your router isn't on it, it may still work if you have UPnP which 99.9% of routers do. So I would suspect the console is the issue but again thats just my opinion, my cousin who works in MS will be better able to advise you or put in contact with someone who can help.:)

Hm, I posted this elsewhere, too, and someone pointed out about the network card on the 360 could be shot. Could be the console you had to get replaced suffered from such a problem along with my friend. Hm.. If I get confirmation on this being the case, I'll update here. It's definitely in the top 3 likely issues.

I think it was but as I said I just had it swapped for a new one in the shop as I had only bought a few days earlier. I believe it was the network card as when i plugged in the replacement one it just connected with no configuration at all( opening ports,putting in the DMZ)
    If it is the network card, then a repair is your only option which If your under warranty is free. warranty is 2 years in Ireland, I believe.
    So troubleshooting should confirm or deny whether it is the network card or not.
    Good Luck.

Yep, it was his console. Network card, presumably. My console worked immediately, no needing to muck around with IP address, DNS or any such nonsense. It is still under the 3 year warranty for the RROD as it was Nov '08 he got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Having connection issues myself. On student accomodation and the internet has a firewall which requires login details. However when I input the login details, the xbox no longer picks up the automatic ip address and dns servers from the router. If I don't input, they come on fine, but I'm unable to connect to the internet. Anyone got any suggestions?

Slugs wrote: »
    Having connection issues myself. On student accomodation and the internet has a firewall which requires login details. However when I input the login details, the xbox no longer picks up the automatic ip address and dns servers from the router. If I don't input, they come on fine, but I'm unable to connect to the internet. Anyone got any suggestions?
    I'm guessing disabling the firewall isn't an option. Also, have you gone through the steps in the link in post #2? It works for most situations. Was stumpworthy I wasn't having joy with it, but borked network card sure'd explain my one.

Assuming the disabling firewall isn't an option, you go to test and it stops you with a can't find IP address error message, right? Where in the process does it stop you? Xbox to network, network to internet, internet to xbox live? Also, what ISP, router, and are you connected wired or wirelessly? Best to have as much info in the thread as possible, so we can come up with something.

Aye, disabling firewall isn't an option. When I don't input any data, it connects to the network, but won't connect to the internet (as it doesn't have access rights), however, when I put in the PPPoE details (i.e. Username and password), it doesn't get any ip address, and stops at network.

I have a netgear router, but all attempts to try and bring that onto the network have failed, so for now I'm wired. The ISP is digiweb and I know the accomodation is using netgear equipment, but I've no idea what model.

Edit: the firewall software seems to be Kerio winroute Firewall 6

@Pushtrak Yeah, that is pretty clear, most likely the network card. Connection issues would come under standard warranty of 2 years and not the RROD warranty which is 3 years. So if he bought it in Nov'08, It looks like he is will be out of warranty But contact support to confirm this first. As I know the start dates of some warraties are estimated.
    Good luck.

@Slugs Have you tried connecting your laptop to the network and using internet connection sharing to share the laptop connection with your xbox? Details here: http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-360/troubleshoot/kb/connect-Xbox-360-console-Xbox-LIVE-with-computer?kbid=978618

Is it possible to do the internet connection sharing with wireless being the means of communication between the laptop and the xbox? I need the ethernet slot for connection

Yes, In that case you would need to set up an ad-hoc network on your wireless adapter first and then set up the internet connection sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Have you tried resetting the Xbox to factory defaults? Its in the network settings.

This can work alot of the time

halpin325 wrote: »
    Yes, In that case you would need to set up an ad-hoc network on your wireless adapter first and then set up the internet connection sharing.
    Got it sorted after 3 hours, and then found out I was suspended.... Cruel, but I'm back on now, thanks for the help :D

3 Hours? Yeah, Internet connectionsharing isn't the most simple or straight forward thing to setup. I;ve set it up before and it was a nightmare! :) Glad to hear you are up and running...Kinda:D
    Someone was misbehaving on LIVE and is now suspended, any idea what for and for how long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

OP, I remember having to alter my firewall settings on my Eircom Netopia router to allow Live to work, but that was the only firewall setting I went at. Up to then the connection was stopping as yours is now. After that she went through no problem.

If that's mentioned in the links then sorry, I'm on a phone at the minute.

• Advertisement

It's after going titsup again. They're both connecting to the network, but it's basically after stopping the xbox from recieving any internet signal... This is realy frustrating, I literally turned it off, went to sleep, woke up, and now it's not working again. Any solutions halpin? Just pm me :)

And I was banned for unpaid subscription, ran over to xtra vision to buy a 3 month, and couldn't put it in because I was suspended. Got it all sorted now, so it's all good :D

Advertisement