Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dangers of grass to dogs?

• 29-08-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Following on from this
    [HTML]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056361786[/HTML]

Has anyone else become concerned about there dogs walking on grass?
    I have asked a builder come around to quote me for having my back turned in basically a huge sand pit, besides this has anyone any other ideas on have to prevent this happening to my pooch????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Following on from this
    [HTML]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056361786[/HTML]

Has anyone else become concerned about there dogs walking on grass?
    I have asked a builder come around to quote me for having my back turned in basically a huge sand pit, besides this has anyone any other ideas on have to prevent this happening to my pooch????

I think you might be over reacting -

I've never heard of this before the thread (horrific) but dogs are meant to run around - Unless you have a dog prone to sickness from some bad breeding possibly from a show ring dog or other where it looks good but had no real functions then I wouldnt be worried.

If you still are worried make sure you have insurrance. its usually about 170€ which is about 3 euro a week. not having insurrance is horribly irresponcible.

If you're still worried I think sand is very unpractical, maybe try astro turf of just pave the back garden or do both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think you might be over reacting -

I've never heard of this before the thread (horrific) but dogs are meant to run around - Unless you have a dog prone to sickness from some bad breeding possibly from a show ring dog or other where it looks good but had no real functions then I wouldnt be worried.

If you still are worried make sure you have insurrance. its usually about 170€ which is about 3 euro a week. not having insurrance is horribly irresponcible.

If you're still worried I think sand is very unpractical, maybe try astro turf of just pave the back garden or do both.

Thanks for the quick reply, i am freaking out here... The reason i am so worried about it is because my little pooch was the runt of the litter i bought her off donedeal i dont think the breeder was treating her right. He mad me pay extra for her :mad::mad::mad:.

Oh thanks for the idea, i didnt think about astro turf. Have you experience with keeping a dog on this? How do you clean up the dirt off it??

PLease reply quick, im so worried....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Your username says it all OP. Dogs love grass, they were meant to run around in it, poo in it, roll in it (hopefully not after the poo). That thread you quoted was a worst case scenario of what could happen and far as I remember it only got that bad because Discodog and the vet didnt see it at first. These things will happen but turning your back yard into a sandpit will not make your dog any safer or happier. Doesnt matter if your dog is the runt of the litter, that doesnt mean it will be a small dog who will be prone to sickness or injury. Leave your yard as it is and let the dog out for a good roll around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I thought the seed in that particular thread came from long grass that had gone to seed.....not lawn grass that would be kept short:confused:

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply, i am freaking out here... The reason i am so worried about it is because my little pooch was the runt of the litter i bought her off donedeal i dont think the breeder was treating her right. He mad me pay extra for her :mad::mad::mad:.

Oh thanks for the idea, i didnt think about astro turf. Have you experience with keeping a dog on this? How do you clean up the dirt off it??

PLease reply quick, im so worried....

No idea about clean poo off it since I just have the standard grass out mine, Anyway I dont think grass actually produce seeds unless they grow to a certain height like a foot or something like that(this may be wrong).

As for buying dogs, I'm sure some other poster will be able to inform you on that one, alarm bells going off anyway. I only get dogs from the pound, too many dogs and too many breeders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Thanks for your quick replys, i would hate anything to happen to my pooch. I think i am going to change my back to astro. The builder is here as we speak, seems quite cheap quote was €12,275. We should not take these risks wiyh our pooches.....

Ok now Im thinking troll.

**Vai** wrote: »
    Ok now Im thinking troll.

was thinking that but then i checked astro turf - its between 10-50 quid per meter squared, thats at avarage 30euro = 433 meter squared or 0.1 of an acre.

price could be plausable,

http://www.sanctuarysynthetics.ie/products -for price
    http://www.unitconversion.org/area/square-meters-to-acres-conversion.html - conversion

Oranage2 wrote: »
    was thinking that but then i checked astro turf - its between 10-50 quid per meter squared, thats at avarage 30euro = 433 meter squared or 0.1 of an acre.

price could be plausable,

http://www.sanctuarysynthetics.ie/products -for price
    http://www.unitconversion.org/area/square-meters-to-acres-conversion.html - conversion

If you thought of it whats to stop the troll thinking of it? Seriously, spending 12 grand astro turfing your yard because your afraid your dog will die because of the grass? C'mon!

**Vai** wrote: »
    If you thought of it whats to stop the troll thinking of it? Seriously, spending 12 grand astro turfing your yard because your afraid your dog will die because of the grass? C'mon!

Well before I visted this thread i'd have thought so but after seeing how over reactive some people are in this forum I will never accuse someone of trolling again!

Honest to god, I'm looking out the window at somebody walking their dog and another family member driving around in a car going 2miles per hour so they can throw the dog in the car if anything happens.

I dont think you can over estimate how far some people will go for their pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

As the instigator of the "seed thread" I have no concerns about my three being on grass - they are about to go on a run through fields of it !

My situation, where a seed entered via the gum, is incredibly rare. Neither the Vet or I have ever heard of it before. A seed in the paw is more common but they are rarely a problem. Mostly they enter between the smaller pads (fingers) & show as a swelling on the top of the paw where the seed exits.
    Occasionally they can enter around the big middle pad & travel up the leg.

The moral of the thread was that if you have an irritation/infection, that won't go away with antibiotics, then it may be caused by a foreign body.

My chap had his stitches out today & is making a great recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OP, the best thing to do is to regularly check your dog's paws, and groom regularly, that should keep any grass seeds from doing harm.

My hairy one gets extra grooming at this time of year because she loves to roll and her big hairy arse collects all kinds of seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

€10,000 will build a fully functional, properly drained 20 x 40 meter arena for schooling horses so I would call the price you have been given a complete rip off. I don't see how sand could possibly be any less 'dangerous' than ordinary lawn grass which doesn't seed anyway unless you let it grow into a jungle. I do find the idea somewhat extreme anyway you look at it. It's a bit like never taking a dog outside in case it gets skin cancer, or never letting it run in case it breaks a leg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

just wondering how long it will be before we see a thread on astro or sand pits being dangerous for dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

€10,000 will build a fully functional, properly drained 20 x 40 meter arena for schooling horses so I would call the price you have been given a complete rip off. I don't see how sand could possibly be any less 'dangerous' than ordinary lawn grass which doesn't seed anyway unless you let it grow into a jungle. I do find the idea somewhat extreme anyway you look at it. It's a bit like never taking a dog outside in case it gets skin cancer, or never letting it run in case it breaks a leg!
    Thinking about it sand is probably worse. We have a devil of a time with Tegan at the beach because she loves to roll and gets sand all over her, including in her eyes. Then she tries to get the sand out, either by scratching with her sand covered paws or by rubbing her head on the sand, making it even worse.

Advertisement