Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sako .243 build

Options
  • 29-08-2011 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

finaly the long awaited sako/trueflight .243 has arrived and not to soon as the season is starting on thursday.
    i would have had it sooner as fergal white who did the job for me had it ready and waiting for me as soon as my license came threw.

to start with i bought an action from my local dealer mick dougan (great man to deal with) it was a sako m591.that he originally owned from new and then sold to a friend who then traided it back to mick who sold it again to its previous owner, at which stage it was still a minter, but the new owner never cleaned it and as a result it was in bits by the time he had finished with it.
    here are a few pics

8218d199-1.jpg

88ec225d.jpg

1885a502.jpg

9f7b46ec.jpg

3be792d7.jpg

6cc9c3c7.jpg

07c1d31a.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Well wear Paulo! Happy shooting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Looking good :)

Are you gonna clean her up more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I think there are more photos to add...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm really looking forward to the next set of photos- I love to see a neglected rifle being brought back to life, especially one with a wooden stock.

These older SAKO rifles are pure gold underneath all the bad-treatment and pure neglect that can often be dealt out to them.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Glensman wrote: »
    I think there are more photos to add...
    tac foley wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the next set of photos- I love to see a neglected rifle being brought back to life, especially one with a wooden stock.

These older SAKO rifles are pure gold underneath all the bad-treatment and pure neglect that can often be dealt out to them.

tac

thanks lads, that is how it looked before . i have more pics that i will put up later,
    i have inlet the stock for the larger diameter of the new barrel and fitted sling studs but thats it, there is still loads to do.;)

more pics to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I had the pleasure of getting my grubby hands on your new (ish) Sako when I went to see Fergal.

Very nice looking and well ware and I thought the stock was nice as is. Like it had a story to tell.

The complete outfit is top notch now. Aim small hit big :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

hopefully you'll get it blooded before the weekend out. are you still going to keep the magic shed bolt in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I love the thought of this project. Take a soild foundation of a rifle and bring it back to life with some tlc.

Looking forward to next few pics paulo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

What sort of money does fergal charge to rebarrel ? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Poulo, I'm just getting a 243 made from Fergal, we can have a little private shoot some day, maybe you let me win by a point again.

Hope you enjoy her.
    edi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Looks very similar to a cz527 action.:D

thanks for the kind words lads.

and edi i will have no excuse next time we meet up for a shot. i'll be ready for you.

so here is what i did today

i free floated the barrel
    e4517890.jpg

fitted some sling studs 2 at the front to allow for removal of the bi-pod without having to remove the sling

a0133e7e.jpg

i will be filling any holes and imperfections as part of the stock finishing later

94bcba29.jpg

and 1 at the back
    58a7e89d.jpg

i had to make an action screw as there was a gutter bolt holding in the action. so i ground down a bolt to suit and it fits like a glove
    91134210.jpg

here it is together

03a388ad.jpg

dc80dd03.jpg

and here you can see it is fully floated as i can slide a thick card envelope up right the way to the action
    83060137.jpg
    c1e18b72.jpg

and finally, to top off today's work i shot a group for the first time with this rifle using cheep privi ammo 100gr as i am just running it in

b0c280b2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Hi Poulo243,
    Well wear and I cannot wait to hear what she does when she's tuned up and the ammo that she likes to shoot.

Picture #4 in the OP shows you're going to have some nice tiger stripes on the butt stock and a few in the fore-grip.

Sand that stock down and then hand rub oil. There's no stamps on the wood that you have to worry about removing, correct?

Well wear.

Slan.

FISMA wrote: »
    Hi Poulo243,
    Well wear and I cannot wait to hear what she does when she's tuned up and the ammo that she likes to shoot.

Picture #4 in the OP shows you're going to have some nice tiger stripes on the butt stock and a few in the fore-grip.

Sand that stock down and then hand rub oil. There's no stamps on the wood that you have to worry about removing, correct?

Well wear.

Slan.

hi FISMA.
    finishing the stock wont happen for a while season starts on thursday so for now i just want it shooting straight.
    next job will be bedding the action.

but my job for today is to test this stuff
    90588a0d.jpg

i hope to end up with a bullet around the 80-85gr mark and stick with it for fox and deer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Very fine looking build:D.What lenght and twist is the barrel ?Any idea the overall weight of the set up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

look`n good mate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    but my job for today is to test this stuff

Oh you poor thing! It's a hard knock life. :p Looks great Poulo. Always liked the look of the walnut stock with the stainless barrel. Really stands out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

A diamond in the rough at the moment, I'm sure really looking forward to what this is going to look like when its finished.

The stainless barrel looks class, when do you hope to have the build completed?

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Very fine looking build:D.What lenght and twist is the barrel ?Any idea the overall weight of the set up ?

the barrel is a 24" with a 1-10 twist , its a slightly heavier than it was with the original barrel as it was the varmint version. i will weigh it at some point and let you know.

A diamond in the rough at the moment, I'm sure really looking forward to what this is going to look like when its finished.

The stainless barrel looks class, when do you hope to have the build completed?

it will be an on going evolution, intend on shooting it as is for a while, then bed the action, after that i will look after the finish on the stock but i will do all the rough jobs first.

i will be putting a PSE stock on it when funds allow, i have already spoke to edi about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it Poulo. Would love to see it in the flesh sometime. That 591 action has a serious reputation for being a quality piece of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Looking well poulo, best of look with it, very similar action and stock to mine, how do you find it compared to the tikka

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭podge.243
    Paul Murphy

She's looking gud there Paul, now roll on thursday:D eh let me know how you get on with them 95gr sst. we'll meet up for a stalk this year;)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Nice job Poulo.Good luck with it! Hope you have it blooded at this stage:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

zlezlius wrote: »

No deer in kerry except Reds and Female Sika, he did blood it on a bunny after we called it a day yesterday.

ormondprop wrote: »
    Looking well poulo, best of look with it, very similar action and stock to mine, how do you find it compared to the tikka
    it is an old action so it is not as smooth as the tikka i had but it cycles the rounds as fast as any action i ever used.

zlezlius wrote: »

i spent the last couple of days out with tack and 4gun trying to get a sika stag for tack who was on his holidays down in kerry:D
    we saw plenty of red's and femails but no luck on the sika stags.

we got to within 40 yards of 2 lovely 10 point red stags and had the pleasure of watching them for a while.

i did blood my rifle on a bunny with 75gr hornady custom hollow point which are one holing at 100y

i tested the 95gr superformance and got mixed results but the 75gr are pin point.

i didnt crono the 95gr stuff but i will edit it in later if i get a chance. but the 75 grain was running at av 3250fps with hi of 3300fps the box states 3400 from a 24" barrel which i have.
    i hope to end up with a bullet in the 80-85 gr range that will be be good for deer and fox

well probably the most important step for mu new rifle is now complete.
    not 800m from my front door in kerry.:D

200m neck shot
    37d510e3.jpg

all i need to do now is bring it lamping for charlie and it will have proven its worth

but for now i am more than delighted with the rifle and the results speaks for its self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

For shooting MY SIKA

You still owe me one, but I still love ya!

You are really motivating me to rebarrel my .308 in a Truflite

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭podge.243
    Paul Murphy

Well done there Paul :) i was the same i christened my .243 with a nice 6 pointer sika last Sunday:D have my eye on a 8 pointer goin after him this evening so plz god:)

i got a chance to do a bit of foxing last night with 4gun and the sako/trueflight combo proved its worth yet again.
    an excellent result at 250y to claim the prize as first fox shot with my .243.

she was a reluctant vixen but we stayed calling for a few min and when she presented a clear broadside shot i took it

250y
    d33ff732.jpg

next lad just stayed still the second the light came on him so we kept the light on him an it gave me fox No 2 for the night.

135y
    9ce1af65.jpg

i am happy out with this build now as it is well up for the job.

thanks again to ireland custom rifles fergal ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    i got a chance to do a bit of foxing last night with 4gun and the sako/trueflight combo proved its worth yet again.
    an excellent result at 250y to claim the prize as first fox shot with my .243.

she was a reluctant vixen but we stayed calling for a few min and when she presented a clear broadside shot i took it

250y
    d33ff732.jpg

next lad just stayed still the second the light came on him so we kept the light on him an it gave me fox No 2 for the night.

135y
    9ce1af65.jpg

i am happy out with this build now as it is well up for the job.

thanks again to ireland custom rifles fergal ;)
    Nice going big fella....
    Its working well for ya:cool:

Advertisement