Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about kittens?

• 29-08-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Last Sunday we got 2 kittens, 1 male and 1 female. They were born at the end of May and they are so cute :)

I was wondering about getting them neutered. How much would it cost roughly and what age would they have to be? Would they both have to be neutered or just the female? I haven't had kittens in many many years since I was a little girl :cool:

Also they keep scratching... I think they have fleas! What's the best product for getting rid of those fleas? Specially when they're so young

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You should get both neutered around the 5-6 month mark.
    Males have a lesser tendency to spray if they're neutered.
    It should cost around €200 to get both done. The boy will be a bit less than the girl.
    If you go to the vet, they will give you a liquid that you put on the back of their neck and is very effective in getting rid of fleas.
    However, you should bring them to the vet after a month or two anyway so they can get all their shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The above is true about the neutering, costs vary with different vets, my vet charges €65 female €50 male if kittens, large cats may be bit more.
    The spot on treatments are sometimes not meant for kittens under 6 months so ask your vet, you can get sprays and powder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

You need to bring them to the vets anyway as they have to have their shots. The vet can check for fleas, earmites, etc. They will usually give a product like Frontline, Stronghold, Profender, or milbemax. Most kittens have worms too so they will need one of the above products for that too. They need to be given these treatments quite frequently as kittens and at longer intervals when fully grown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Do get them both done - neutered males make the best pets, and if you don't he'll go around the neighbourhood spraying and fighting.
    Ring around as many vets as you live near for the prices. I've found up to 30 euro in the difference.

Advertisement