Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas of Galway City to live in

Options
  • 29-08-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi guys & girls,

I'm a Limerick based postgrad headed towards NUIG for the next year +

I'm wondering if ye could give me your impressions about areas of Galway. In Limerick there are VERY OBVIOUS NO-GO areas, such as Moyross, Southill, Ballynanty, the Island Fields, the Hyde Road, Roxboro etc

I've yet to find a place like that exactly in Galway and while no place ever is perfect, I was wondering if ye could give me an impression of what they're like at least?

I've been looking at houses in 5 main areas/locales:

Rahoon/O'Donnell Road

Salthill/Whitestrand/Lenaboy

Newcastle

College Road (and the small streets off of it)

Tirellan Heights

Appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

To add - areas around tirellan Heights that could suit are:
    Dun na Corribe (full of students), Castlelawn Heights, Sandyvale and crestwood. Look at google maps to see where the college is and what estates are near it.

all the area's you listed above are fine (nothing like Moyross, etc...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Rahoon/O'Donnell Road

Newcastle

Tirellan Heights

Galway has been said to be one of the safest cities in Ireland, that said no place is 100% safe regardless of the area you live in.

Ive lived in Salthill/Lenaboy for 2 years and found it to be a great area. very quiet at night.

Newcastle is handy as its close to college.

Tirellan heights is a bit far out of town, esp if youre going to college in nuig.

College road is grand, but its not very well lit at night compared to some other areas of the city

I grew up in rahoon, never had any problems.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

All those places are grand, some people find areas of Rahoon a bit rough, but it's fine in my opinion.

There are no Moyross type areas in Galway (yet!).

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Das Kitty wrote: »
    All those places are grand, some people find areas of Rahoon a bit rough, but it's fine in my opinion.

There are no Moyross type areas in Galway (yet!).

Thanks folks, what parts of Rahoon are found rough and what kind of people find them rough? Mid 20s lad here, generally not intimidated unless it's REAL danger like drugs/knives/guns/actual physical violence or threats thereof

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

constantg wrote: »
    Thanks folks, what parts of Rahoon are found rough and what kind of people find them rough? Mid 20s lad here, generally not intimidated unless it's REAL danger like drugs/knives/guns/actual physical violence or threats thereof

You'll be grand. I'm always surprised when I hear people call Rahoon 'rough'. It's usually one estate bordering on Westside that people complain about, the odd person rants about Glend Dara, but that's usually complaining about kids. There's a lot of sound people house sharing in Rahoon, some for years. Walking distance (from most of Rahoon) to town, shops not far, and a Chinese.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    You'll be grand. I'm always surprised when I hear people call Rahoon 'rough'. It's usually one estate bordering on Westside that people complain about, the odd person rants about Glend Dara, but that's usually complaining about kids. There's a lot of sound people house sharing in Rahoon, some for years. Walking distance (from most of Rahoon) to town, shops not far, and a Chinese.

So Westside SC aside its largely grand eh? Any chance you'd PM me the name of the estate? Lit. not a notion about Galway, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Rahoon/O'Donnell Road

Newcastle

Tirellan Heights

Galway has been said to be one of the safest cities in Ireland, that said no place is 100% safe regardless of the area you live in.

Ive lived in Salthill/Lenaboy for 2 years and found it to be a great area. very quiet at night.

Newcastle is handy as its close to college.

Tirellan heights is a bit far out of town, esp if youre going to college in nuig.

College road is grand, but its not very well lit at night compared to some other areas of the city

I grew up in rahoon, never had any problems.
    Tirellan is a 15 minute walk from town, hardly far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

My mate lived in Whitestrand Ave (Tara Court apartments) in 2009. Great location. Near everything in a quiet neighbourhood.

So Westside SC aside its largely grand eh? Any chance you'd PM me the name of the estate? Lit. not a notion about Galway, cheers!

I will of course but tbh, it's just a few houses in that know to be 'rough'
    Have you a particular place Rahoon in mind? Is it a shared house?

I've loads of mates in that area.

There seems to be good spots off the Bishop O'Donnell Road area...

Also thanks for the PM's guys! Much appreciated!!

• Advertisement

There seems to be good spots off the Bishop O'Donnell Road area...

Also thanks for the PM's guys! Much appreciated!!

If you've a car, head up the Rahoon road past graveyard. Even just up from the junction of BOD road there are nice little parks and estates, and still walking distance to college and town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i lived in newcastle (up near westwood house hotel) the couple of years i went to nuig, it was great because you are only a 10minute walk there from the school of business (and a little further walk from the main campus), the problem i found in that area is lack of amenties, the closest main supermarket to there is dunnes over in rahoon

there is nothing like moyross or southill in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

From Tirellan you can walk down the Dyke Road, cross a field at the bridge, in NUIG in 15 mins as has been said. Lots of students walk it everyday. All the areas are fine, Rahoon too, to a large extent. As you may know, NUIG is central, and Galway is pretty compact, so you can walk / cycle to college in 20 to 30 mins max.

Advertisement