Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting open fire to a stove - help?

• 29-08-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

We're hoping to avoid a shivering winter by replacing our existing open fire with a multi-fuel stove. The stove has been picked out, and will connect up to the hot water and radiators, (hopefully) heating our house.

But... I'm not sure what we need to do to the existing fireplace, which we would like to replace, as it will be too small/narrow for the stove.

But I don't know where to start!
    Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

I want to go from something like this:
    fireplace-02.jpg

To something like this:
    stove-fireplace-3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I personally would be inclined to allow the strove sit a foot or two out from the fire place and run a horizontal flu back to the fireplace. This will increase it's efficiency no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Thanks dnme! I think you are right.

But should I remove the existing hearth and put in a new, bigger one? And should I remove the fireback that is there at the moment, or will the stove installer do all that for me?

Apologies if these questions are very basic - I have more enthusiasm than knowledge when it comes to DIY :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Kash wrote: »
    Thanks dnme! I think you are right.

But should I remove the existing hearth and put in a new, bigger one? And should I remove the fireback that is there at the moment, or will the stove installer do all that for me?

Apologies if these questions are very basic - I have more enthusiasm than knowledge when it comes to DIY :)

Hi Kash

I think the first think you need to do is decide what kind of stove you want (in terms of look, output and whether you want a boiler with it) - this will have a massive influence on what to do with your existing fireplace. There are a massive amount of stoves on the market and they vary significantly. Your Budget will also have a big bearing on what option you go for - there is loads of advice already on this forum on stoves from people with a lot more knowledge than me which will help guide you.

In terms of your existing fireplace you need to decide whether you want to change it or not. If you would prefer to change it then you have a lot more options and you can decide the look you want etc but pick out the stove you want before designing a new fireplace etc.

If you wish to keep your existing fireplace you will obviously be more limited in choice but you still have options such as an insert stove which can be installed with minimum fuss and would not require removing the hearth etc.

I recently installed an insert stove and had a very narrow hearth - as i was not confident enough to install the stove myself I got the guy who sold me the stove to install it and he removed whatever was needed of the fireback, installed the flue etc - he charged me €50 for this bit - took him 3 to 4 hours.

Hope this helps. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Heres another modern contemp option for you.

I went this route ........(this if my fireplace in fact)

Stovax Riva 66 multi fuel inset stove

I was going for a gothic look open fireplace,but then I decided to get a large cassette/inset stove bult in instead.

I sold the gothic fireplace on for a nice little profit too,as I managed to get for more or less nothing (fireplace shop stock clearence sale)

few more.

The amount of heat the Riva 66 chucks out is unreal,theres been quite a few timnes that I have had to open the windows in the house and in the kitchen to let the heat escape.

• Advertisement

Can I just add to this by saying to the OP..............

If you dont know where to start then maybe get a fireplace company to drop by your house and have a look at your fireplace,as messing around with this sort of thing is a big NO NO if you dont know what to do.

A fireplace is a structural item and if you mess it up,well its by bye fireplace potentially.

A competant builder or fireplace/stove installer is really needed to view your house/fireplace and advize you..

paddy147 wrote:
    Can I just add to this by saying to the OP..............

If you dont know where to start then maybe get a fireplace company to drop by your house and have a look at your fireplace,as messing around with this sort of thing is a big NO NO if you dont know what to do.

I agree with you 100%, I'll leave the actual work to a qualified builder/plumber.
    I'm just conceptualizing at the moment, trying to figure out what I need to buy, and what types of tradesman I need on board.

So far, I have a reputable plumber to install the stove (going with a parkway consort 15. As you can see, it's pretty big, so I assume the current opening will need to be enlarged, but again - no idea who does that - do I hire a builder? Does he have to come before the plumber? Or at the same time?

I also assume I need to buy a hearth and fireplace surround. I don't know if my plumber will install the hearth, or if I need to get someone else in to do that part... my head is addled.

Apologies for all the questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

Your plumber will usually only install the stove itself (you can always ask him if he has a guy he works with to do the bulders work) If you can get him to do the lot - all the better. If not speak to your stove supplier and see if he recommends a fitter. Most suppliers have a number of guys they can recommend. Get a couple o numbers and get a couple of quotes.
    You will also need a hearth - your stove supplier usually sells them too - but beware this is somethimes where you can get ripped off a bit - so maybe get a couple of prices here also.

Good luck - stoves rock. I have one and with the free stock of timber I get - I have pretty much have free heat all winder.:D

Any marble/granite suppliers will give you a good deal on a polished marble or granite hearth and plinth.

Thats what I did when getting my hearth and plinth.

The fireplace companiesd like to add on their nice little extra amount to items like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

To get the one in the picture you will need to get a builder to put in a beam or concrete joist (or whatever they are called). This will be the new support allowing you to widen the opening for the stove. Then you will need to replaster.

I wouldn't put a stove out in front of what you have it will not look great imo.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Any marble/granite suppliers will give you a good deal on a polished marble or granite hearth and plinth.

Thats what I did when getting my hearth and plinth.

The fireplace companiesd like to add on their nice little extra amount to items like this.

Do you have a wholesaler that you would recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i just bought a beauty for five hundred euro, it is small with back boiler, i would say the one without boiler would be three to four hundred, it will be sitting it in front of original fireplace and connecting the pipes that were on original boiler in fireplace,
    i got mine at.
    www.discountdepot.eu. it is in tralee co kerry, at dingle side of tralee, a place called curraheen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

by day in winter, i have a habit of putting those little tealight candles that last eight hours in my wood burner, say three lighting inside little glasses in the thing, the little stove feels warm with them there, and the smoke they generate go up the chimney, i leave door open while they are there, and i use the little glasses the ones that you buy in two euro shop with the candle already in them, i reuse these for the little tealights in the stove, they keep the candles from blowing out, and all is safe in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say the head height of your existing fireplace will be too low to get the set back look you want to achieve. The lintel will be horizontal not too far above the existing opening.
    Moving this up is amessy job and structural so a competent builder would be required and it will cost.

My advice is remove existing fireplace, plaster the wall and put stove to wall with rear exit flue. Simpler, cleaner looking and cheaper too. Spend saved cash on trv rad valves and insulation.

bbam wrote: »
    My advice is remove existing fireplace, plaster the wall and put stove to wall with rear exit flue. Simpler, cleaner looking and cheaper too.

That's some good advice, that seems to be the easiest, neatest solution.

I've just been given a 60 inch slab of marble, so I have that sorted now too - all I need is to buy the stove.
    Thanks for your help!

Advertisement