Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending Lease 2.5 years into Tenancy

Options
  • 29-08-2011 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,
    I am wondering if anyone can help me? I signed a 12 month lease in Feb 2009 for the house I currently live in. In Feb 2010 I re-negoticated the rent with the landlord. I never signed a new lease, however the person I was emailing stipulated that the lease would continue for another 12 months. In Feb 2011, I again got a reduction in the rent, however nothing was mentioned about the length of the lease or signing anything. I still have copies of these emails. Ironincally what was discussed was the rent to buy option and house cost! Any way, I need to end my lease effective 30th Oct and I am wondering if a) I can do this without any repurcussions, b) how much notice I need to give and c) what the procedure is with respect to depsits.
    Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

As you are in a Part 4 tenancy and have been in the property for more than 2 years, you must give 56 days notice. (More info on citizeninformtion.ie) You can find a sample notice letter on the threshold website. Use this to make sure you comply with all obligations. If there is no damage above normal wear & tear, no outstanding rent the landlord has to return your deposit in full.

Advertisement