Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnels...any good?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Thinking about buying or building a Polytunnel in the back garden, came across this site while doing a bit of research on buying one:

http://inthemarket.ie/categories/Polytunnel%27s/

The prices are quite cheap but the plastic covering doesn't look the best, it doesn't look like the normal plastic which covers polytunnels. However, the bars look decent and seem pretty thick enough to handle strong winds.

What do you guys think? Do you think the ones above would be a decent investment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Meant to say, the covering is described as:

Reinforced UPVC (PE) & UVI 140g/sm interwoven cover.

Means nothing to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

have a read through this thread, there is a link near the bottom of the first page to a diy tunnel build which would work out much sturdier and cheaper than the ones in your link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Steer well clear of those type of polytunnels. Have done a lot of research and they ALWAYS get wrecked in o time at all. Total waste of money. They are just large and dangerous versions of the cheap walk-in type greenhouse that you see in argos/lidl.
    As sponge_bob said, see the link for the DIY version if you are trying to do it on the cheap. They are sturdy. I am almost finished one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

redser7 wrote: »
    Steer well clear of those type of polytunnels. Have done a lot of research and they ALWAYS get wrecked in o time at all. Total waste of money.

I knew the price was too good to be true :) I actually rang the guy selling them yesterday to see what he had to say and he was trying to convince me that these ones were actually better than the normal polytunnel :D He said they heat up quicker, ventilate better, last longer and don't rip like the normal polytunnel :D

I came across that DIY site last week actually, looks class! I'd seriously considered attempting it, I'm just a little caught for time these days. How long did your one take you? Any pics you'd like to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I had one of those type of covers with a small greenhouse bought last year. I found that the plastic frayed pretty quickly in the irish weather. I'd definitely stay well clear. I second the link on overthegardengate.net on building your own tunnel. Way cheaper and the construction materials are far sturdier.

I'm building my own tunnel like redser7 at the moment. It's slow going since I've very limited spare time but there is plenty of time before the weather gets too cold to get one built.

When I was researching what type of tunnel to build, I came across one just like the one in your link, on this forum. The guy did a decent job of making it sturdy but the plastic will probably let him down. He also had to spend a fair bit on extra materials.

Where's those photos redser7 ;)

• Advertisement

Jasis no pressure :-) I'll see if I can get them up tonight. Few things left to be done but it's basically complete. Trotter_inc, I spent about four 6 hour days on it. Depends on how many people you have helping you and the quality of tools you have. If you have access to power for power tools etc. and a helper or two I'd say you could get it done in 2 days (and a bit extra for finishing off odds and ends like removable vents).

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

sirpsycho wrote: »
    I had one of those type of covers with a small greenhouse bought last year. I found that the plastic frayed pretty quickly in the irish weather. I'd definitely stay well clear. I second the link on overthegardengate.net on building your own tunnel. Way cheaper and the construction materials are far sturdier.

I'm building my own tunnel like redser7 at the moment. It's slow going since I've very limited spare time but there is plenty of time before the weather gets too cold to get one built.

When I was researching what type of tunnel to build, I came across one just like the one in your link, on this forum. The guy did a decent job of making it sturdy but the plastic will probably let him down. He also had to spend a fair bit on extra materials.

Where's those photos redser7 ;)

he has put in an awfull lot of work into the extra bracing, but has used it very well by puttin in removeable shelves.
    my sister and brother bought a similar tunnels off ebay last year and the first stiff breeze the cover just ripped off and that was that despite putting in extra supports to strenghten the frame and secure it to the ground.
    sisters site was fairly exposed in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liamry99

Hello, this is inthemarket.ie replying to you. We never said they heated up quicker because they don't as we have tested them with thermometer and its approx 1 degree difference. Also we never said they would last longer as this is not true. What you did get right was us saying that the material does not rip with the interwoven material running though it. I had to correct you had quoted us incorrectly i'm sure you understand. Thanks, Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Whats the story with these in exceptionally hot weather like last week? I don't have one, but a friend does and he reckons the sun last week was scorching the leaves of some of the things he was sowing. can this be prevented?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

last week wasn't exceptionally hot though; topped out at about 22 degrees generally, i think? we'd expect hotter weather than that before the summer is out.

• Advertisement

Hi, your friend did not have the door open or possible the ventilation windows. They would have heated up to 35degrees plus if he did not do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

@ magicbastarder
    fair enough, but the question still stands, should plants be scorching or has the wrong type of plastic be used?

and while I'm sure we probably will get higher temperatures I wouldn't be so sure that we'll get a higher amount of prolonged and consistent sunshine. Down here in wexford we had seven days of uniterrupted sunshine. from 6 o clock in the morning till 9 at night, sun, sun, sun and more sun. 95% of the time there wasn't a cloud in the sky. So yes we probably will get higher temperatures but maybe not as consistent and prolonged. Hopefully we will though

This is the same with any polytunnel cover. Ask anybody that owns one. Also watering is an important factor. Either very early in the morning or late in the evening is the best time to do it. I'm glad to see someone is optimistic about getting warmer weather but I think that's the end of it for the summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

Hi everyone.

I've had a polytunnel for about 12 years.
    Best garden investment I have made.
    When I first purchased the tunnel I bought the best I could including the plastic. Changed the first lot of plastic after 7/8 yrs.
    Due to financial constraints (sounds better than skint) bought cheap plastic and only lasted about 4 years. Split and cracked in places.
    I used the plastic that was left to make cloches which has been grand so far.

Needing some new plastic and are looking to anyone with recommendations for suppliers of Plastic.

Regarding the heat or over heating. I found ventilation to be the biggest factor in polytunnel management. Keep doors open all through the summer.
    Position your tunnel to allow a good flow of air.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hashey

i must say i bought one of those tunnels from inthemarket.ie a 10x20 and set it up in the back- that was in april this year- there is little in the way of shelter and it got hit by some very strong winds after i put it up which didnt affect it one bit- the ventilation windows i think are the best feature on it- i have no connection with that crowd i am just one happy customer so far here are a few picsIMG_0451.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

OldRio wrote: »
    Needing some new plastic and are looking to anyone with recommendations for suppliers of Plastic.

I bought mine from NAD and would recommend them, I just ordered what I needed by phone and then collected it directly from them.
    http://nad.ie/guides/guides.html

I don't mean to be a downer hashes, but after 3 seasons or so the plastic squares between the reinforcement thread fall out and you need a new cover :(

youll be the first to know when it falls asunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

OldRio wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I've had a polytunnel for about 12 years.
    Best garden investment I have made.
    When I first purchased the tunnel I bought the best I could including the plastic. Changed the first lot of plastic after 7/8 yrs.
    Due to financial constraints (sounds better than skint) bought cheap plastic and only lasted about 4 years. Split and cracked in places.
    I used the plastic that was left to make cloches which has been grand so far.

Regarding the heat or over heating. I found ventilation to be the biggest factor in polytunnel management. Keep doors open all through the summer.
    Position your tunnel to allow a good flow of air.

Search on donedeal for "polytunnels" in Tipperary. there's a guy on there who i found was the best value for 800 gauge uv polythene. good price and fast delivery.
    (no connection, just purchased from him)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 selenarichard

Hey guys,

Thinking about buying or building a Polytunnel in the back garden, came across this site while doing a bit of research on buying one:

http://inthemarket.ie/categories/Polytunnel%27s/

The prices are quite cheap but the plastic covering doesn't look the best, it doesn't look like the normal plastic which covers polytunnels. However, the bars look decent and seem pretty thick enough to handle strong winds.

What do you guys think? Do you think the ones above would be a decent investment?

I think that was the right link it's working Polytunnels

Advertisement