Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair

• 29-08-2011 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi does any one know where i would be able to get my laptop repaired in limerick city.. it turns on but the laptop screen stays as if it was turned off? Any one know how much it would be to get it fixed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Sounds like the screen is gone, or possibly the graphics card.

Did you spill anything on it, drop it etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

how old is the laptop, or what model is it? and do you know what kind of graphics card is in it? nVidia or ATI? as Wolverine said, it could be the graphics card, or the LCD screen itself, the easiest way to test for this is to hook it up to an external monitor or tv either through VGA or HDMI if you have it, and pray that its just the screen needs replacing, at a cost of €150, because if its the graphics chip, thats built in on the motherboard, which might make the laptop beyond economical repair given that replacing the motherboard will cost you the guts of €300...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Took apart a similar one recently, was just a loose connection thank god. as previous poster said, hook it up to a monitor first to find outs what is happening. After that though, screens can be very expensive compared to price of a new laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

We run a repair centre in UL if you are interested.

If you want to stick to the city centre then try the place on Davis street (no affiliation to that repair centre)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

It could be the inverter or the connections to the backlight which might mean new parts but not having to replace the pannel so less expense. Or it could be a faulty lid switch which is often a magnet in the bezel around the screen or a small lever under the hinge.
    Check the lid switch first before having somebody look at it for you as that's going to be the easiest to fix if it's just stuck in the lid closed position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Story_Bud

i connected it to TV through VGA and it work perfect so it has to be the screen at fault! Will have look around city for prices for the repair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Try Billy Murphy at www.expertpcrepair.ie

He knows his stuff and is well priced have used him a few times for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Story_Bud wrote: »
    i connected it to TV through VGA and it work perfect so it has to be the screen at fault! Will have look around city for prices for the repair!

i would be able to replace the screen myself for you but even ordering just the screen itself would cost €100-€120 depending on size (14-17in) and then approx €50 for labour.

this is why purely for convenience sake i dropped my wife's laptop down to the guys in Davis St. and had it back three days later (it was done in two days but i only had time to collect it on day three), cost me €150, which i'd say will be the average price around town to get it done.

Might be worth giving the guys in Micro Ireland on Thomas Street a bell too to see what they charge, although i havent had to use them in a while myself, i mostly used go there just for parts if i was in a hurry with an urgent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

Can anyone recommend a good laptop repair place in Limerick? My cursor is jumping all over the place. Got a new hard drive but same problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

belinda502 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good laptop repair place in Limerick? My cursor is jumping all over the place. Got a new hard drive but same problem

Sorry, don't knw about repair places. But could it just be the mouse that's the problem? Maybe borrow one to try in your laptop?

• Advertisement

Nope - I use the touchpad but tried an external mouse - no difference. It's the whole keyboard that's affected. I'll be typing and suddenly the cursor will jump back to the beginning of a sentence of up a line or paragraph. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

belinda502 wrote: »
    Nope - I use the touchpad but tried an external mouse - no difference. It's the whole keyboard that's affected. I'll be typing and suddenly the cursor will jump back to the beginning of a sentence of up a line or paragraph. Thanks anyway

Yes, sorry, I hardly every use the touchpad so I forget it exists. (I guess you've tried searching - if not, there's this thread on the Microsoft site. And of course I'm assuming you're using Windows.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

Well if anybody's wondering if thread subscriptions last from 2011, yes they do.

So what kind of laptop is it, lets have a look at the spare part market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I bought a new laptop a few months back and had exactly the same problem. Even the slightest brush against the touchpad while typing sent the cursor to some random location while was a real pain in the butt when typing documents!!

I solved the problem by de-activating the touchpad and using an external wireless mouse instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

i have used a guy in foxes bow, east european, he knows his stuff and is not expensive in my opinon.

Thanks for responses. A computer whizz solved the problem. The Alps software had been deactivated at start-up in an attempt to make start up faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I've a 4 yr old HP laptop which at start up, says the fan isn't working. any recommendations on where to bring it for repair anyone ? I tried googling replacement fan myself but it appears to be deep under the motherboard and I'm not willing to go that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

I've a 4 yr old HP laptop which at start up, says the fan isn't working. any recommendations on where to bring it for repair anyone ? I tried googling replacement fan myself but it appears tx Audit to the new be deep under the motherboard and I'm not willing to go that far.

Limerick Computers
    Dublin Road next to the new Audi garage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

SatCity on Lower Gerald Griffin Street did a few jobs like that for me. The map is at http://www.satcity.ie/#!contact/c3kh

Advertisement