Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet to UPC - and IP Cameras

• 29-08-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering a move from Magnet to UPC (even though I said never again after my NTL telly experience years ago!). My phone quality is just pants and I've never been able to get a couple of IP security cameras to work with my set-up (static IP with local switch and Airport Extreme sharing the public IP).

The prospect of 50 euro 100/7meg broadband (contention ratios notwithstanding) and what can't be worse phone quality make UPC seem like a better option for less outlay.

Has anyone managed to get an IP camera working with UPC's dynamic IP set-up, and what's the general quality of service been like recently (inner city Dublin area - recently upgraded by UPC)?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

alastair wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get an IP camera working with UPC's dynamic IP set-up, and what's the general quality of service been like recently (inner city Dublin area - recently upgraded by UPC)?

cheers.

I've had no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

While UPC's IP addresses are technically dynamic, they're pretty sticky, which is very handy for your kind of set up.

I've been with UPC for three years, and my IP has only changed a handful of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Theres always dyndns etc for that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

roast wrote: »
    While UPC's IP addresses are technically dynamic, they're pretty sticky, which is very handy for your kind of set up.

I've been with UPC for three years, and my IP has only changed a handful of times.

Cheers - your UPC/Thompson DMZ instructions post is very helpful looking too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

alastair wrote: »
    Cheers - your UPC/Thompson DMZ instructions post is very helpful looking too.

No worries. Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Well - I've pulled the trigger on moving to UPC.
    Installer is here on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

you could also have gone with UPC business and gotten a static ip address.

Advertisement