Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a refund or store credit?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I bought a dvd player for my daughter on saturday. Set it up to play on Sunday and it wouldn't play and left a laser burn mark on the disc which now wont play in another one, returned it to the store this morning and got a replacement all was fine.
    Brought it home and set it up and for some reason it only plays in black and white I've tried it with different scart leads and it's the same story I also tried it with the lead it comes with and its still black and white. I plugged it into another tv and it works it just won't work on the tv I need it for. brought it back to argos and they told me they won't replace or refund as its been used and then told me they have a good range of scart leads if Im interested in buying a new one.
    Have I leg to stand on pushing for a refund or even store credit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 curlywurly26

Technically, if there is nothing wrong with the item (which it sounds like there isn't as it works on other TVs) then they don't have to give you a refund or exchange.

Saying that, Argos have a refund/exchange policy which is printed on their receipt and therefore should follow. So if it says you have 28days for a refund/exchange along with your receipt and you fall into this category then they should do this. What do they mean by 'used'? If you took it home, plugged it in and found it doesn't work, then brought it straight back, it hasn't really been used? On the other hand if you've been using it with a different TV and have now decided to bring it back then it's not in it's "original condition" which means they are probably within their rights to refuse refund/exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Technically, if there is nothing wrong with the item (which it sounds like there isn't as it works on other TVs) then they don't have to give you a refund or exchange.

Saying that, Argos have a refund/exchange policy which is printed on their receipt and therefore should follow. So if it says you have 28days for a refund/exchange along with your receipt and you fall into this category then they should do this. What do they mean by 'used'? If you took it home, plugged it in and found it doesn't work, then brought it straight back, it hasn't really been used? On the other hand if you've been using it with a different TV and have now decided to bring it back then it's not in it's "original condition" which means they are probably within their rights to refuse refund/exchanges.
    DVD players are excluded from their normal 28 day refund policy afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Try jamming the scart in and out of the back of the TV a good few times, make sure it is firmly, and I mean FIRMLY shoved in. I get called out by mates and family to fix stuff like this and have "fixed" a lot of TVs with this simple problem.

Because a scart is so large it can feel like it is firmly inplace, you must shove it directly into it, perpendicular.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sassa

The only reason I think the problem lies with the dvd player is the first one i bought the loading menu did appear in colour but it won't with this one. Totally clueless as to what the problem actually is here.
    I asked about the refund/return policy on the receipt and the lady just said that they couldnt do a refund or return as it worked fine and it was used. I literally had this dvd player for 1 hour :confused:
    Felt like I was in an episode of The IT crowd when she asked did i try turning the scart lead around :D
    Think I may just cut my losses with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

sassa wrote: »
    The only reason I think the problem lies with the dvd player is the first one i bought the loading menu did appear in colour but it won't with this one. Totally clueless as to what the problem actually is here.
    I asked about the refund/return policy on the receipt and the lady just said that they couldnt do a refund or return as it worked fine and it was used. I literally had this dvd player for 1 hour :confused:
    Felt like I was in an episode of The IT crowd when she asked did i try turning the scart lead around :D
    Think I may just cut my losses with this one.

Well to be fair to Argos, they did replace the faulty one and the replacement DVD player does work, you said it yourself so you have no grounds for a refund or credit note:
    sassa wrote: »
    I plugged it into another tv and it works it just won't work on the tv I need it for.
    Perhaps the problem lies with your TV, you don't mention if you've tried another DVD player (that you know to be working elsewhere) on the same TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Check your TV settings, make sure it's not set to NTSC, I've seen that before from the symptoms your describing. Also if its a new DVD player it might have a HDMI socket and try connecting it with a HDMI lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dymo wrote: »
    Check your TV settings, make sure it's not set to NTSC,
    Also try a different DVD, I am not certain about dvds but I have seen US NTSC VHS cassettes play in black & white on TVs,

but definitely try jamming the lead in like I said before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

rubadub wrote: »
    Also try a different DVD, I am not certain about dvds but I have seen US NTSC VHS cassettes play in black & white on TVs,

but definitely try jamming the lead in like I said before
    Yeah Region 1 DVDs will play in black & white on PAL TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If it's a full SCART lead then the TV standard won't matter. The full SCART outputs RGB which is free from the PAL/NTSC color encoding used in a Composite (Yellow) or S-Video connector.

My guess is that the TV is set to the wrong input. Try cycling through all the available inputs with the TV remote to see if it appears correctly.

Ken

Advertisement