Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing gears while going uphill

• 29-08-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I had to take my bike into the shop today as it appears I broke 4 spokes yesterday doing the Sean Kelly 50km (as an aside, is that normal - I've only done 1000km on the bike, but maybe it is because of my weight:confused:)

Anyway, I mentioned that I still have difficulty changing into '1' on the left hand side, especially while going uphill, but also on the flat. At first he was trying to tell me that I shouldn't be changing gears as I go uphill and should have changed in advance in preparation for going up. i can't see how that works as I don't know what gear I will need, plus it will screw up my pedalling (my cadence?). What I do is work down through my gears as I climb up, and as I'm not very good at hills I do use my granny gears. Is this what you are meant to do or should I be changing earlier? He eventually adjusted the derailluer (I think that's what it was) after taking it for a quick spin and realising that there actually was a problem.

Thanks,
    Mel.b

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It is normal to ease off a bit whilst changing gear, but otherwise changing gear while going uphill is not a problem if the gears are properly adjusted, just have a bit of mechanical sympathy.

Broken spokes are usually caused by spokes that go slack and then suffer from fatigue. This is most often caused by a badly built or maintained wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Lumen wrote: »
    It is normal to ease off a bit whilst changing gear, but otherwise changing gear while going uphill is not a problem if the gears are properly adjusted, just have a bit of mechanical sympathy.

Broken spokes are usually caused by spokes that go slack and then suffer from fatigue. This is most often caused by a badly built or maintained wheel.

By ease off, do you mean slow down while changing? Sometimes I couldn't get much slower!

My bike is only about 4months old so I don't think it would be badly maintained wheels...actually what maintence do I need to do with them:confused: The bike was is only a cheap hybrid so I'd more likely say badly built wheels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Not push as hard for a revolution or two. Eases tension on the chain etc and makes the shift a little smoother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hopefully when they replaced the spokes they trued up the wheel and that may be enough to make it cope better. If it keeps breaking spokes it might be worth asking for a replacement wheel on warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Hopefully when they replaced the spokes they trued up the wheel and that may be enough to make it cope better. If it keeps breaking spokes it might be worth asking for a replacement wheel on warranty.

He didn't mention anything about that. Will see how it goes from now on and will keep it in mind if they keep breaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

My rule of thumb is if more than three spokes are broken the wheel should be replaced,unless it was a crash or something similar,i can only see one outcome for your wheel and thats more broken spokes! As for the gear change,the guy in the shop is kind of right,if your changing while going up hill your more than likely putting alot of pressure on the pedals and there fore the drive train,when shifting gears you should be turning the pedals but not really putting any pressure down,well in a perfect world anyway!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Think clutch on a car. You don't want to be shifting under maximum load.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

Mel, I know very little but I do know if I can I head into a severe hill in quite often the lowest gear I have and if I am able for it then I will change up a gear.

I got caught yesterday once while standing haha i reckon the gradient suddenly increased on the hill or else my legs just died so there I was standing up pedalling while trying to change down gears, oh sweet Jesus, u should have heard the grinding and me cursing out loud, lad behind me just started laughing and so did I.

Am guessing I was lucky I didnt break anything !!!

Advertisement