Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horsebox lessons in Kilkenny and Advice

Options
  • 29-08-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi ive had a provisional licence for the EB (horsebox) since March of this year and i want to get a full one asap (been stopped about 5 times by gardai since march - never before!!!!) So questions that i cant get answered anywhere and maybe someone here can assist!

1) Do i have to wait 6months before applying for the test?
    2) Is there a good/reccomended instructor in Kilkenny or surrounding area for this test?
    3) Is there any particular thing i need to do with the test - ie am i asked load weights etc???
    4) Any thing else?

Many thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Hi there,

I don't know much about this but a few of my friends are now in the same predicament.

I understand you have to have had your provisional on the box for 6 months before you can apply.

We really wish there was some publicity about this before they started clamping down, my friends are now more or less confined to quarters unless they can borrow someone with a full license.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

I lucked in as when I swapped my UK license I kept all the 'useful' catogries:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I just passed the EB test in Kilkenny. (on second go)

The test is very similar to the car test, in fact its almost exactly the same. I got some lessons with Ormonde driving school.

Going into the test you'll need to know proper procedure for hitching and unhitching (but wont be asked to do it) and you'll need to reverse around a corner.

Get some lessons just to make sure you're driving correctly but also do some of your own research which is where I went wrong first time round. I failed because I wasnt holding the steering wheel correctly and not checking my blind spot when pulling out, (mainly because I have no blind spot in my jeep).... nothing to do with the trailer at all.

www.drivingtesttips.ie is a pretty helpful website too. Basically its exactly the same as the car test with a bit extra.

Oh you'll need to know the dimensions of your trailer (length, width, height) and the unladen and design gross vehicle weight.

Oh and if you've had the provisional since March you can apply for the test now. The provisional has to be issued over six months on the day of the test. You'll probably be waiting two months for a test date.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

Thanks a mill - will get onto it tomorrow esp the booking of the test!!!
    Have to bring my mum everywhere with me at the moment :(

• Advertisement

Wow, I've never been stopped when towing at all. And I tow a lot!

I just thought I'd do the test while Id the time and wherewithal to do it because the enforcement is only going to get tighter.

Lucky you....ive been towing for years (never stopped) and because i wasnt busy in march i said id better get the theory test done (just incase!!!) since ive had the prov.licence ive been stopped at least 4 times.....coming back from shows, only one garda was abit off with me and i had the feeling if i hadnt had a full licence driver ie my mother with me he would have pulled me for it...the other times i got stopped it was just to check the licence - none commented that it was a prov.licence or that i was alone a couple of times!!!

Thanks all!
    Rang RSA today - have paid (€85) for the test and there is a 8-12 week waiting list with a 4 week notification....good job i have just one more show to go to!!!

Book a lesson asap, so you can get everything ready for the test. I had to do quite a bit of preparation in terms of getting new tyres and windscreen on the jeep, making sure trailer lights were working correctly etc. Also you'll need to have an L plate on the front of the jeep and back of the trailer for the test.

an `L`plate lol never thought of it! Will ring Ormande and see what they say! Thanks

btw a new windscreen ??????

• Advertisement

There was a crack in my windscreen and my tyres were borderline. Testers can refuse to test you if they think vehicle is unroadworthy.

Had to empty out the back of the jeep for the test too.

LMAO empty out the back of the jeep - now i have a problem!!!
    Gotta get an assesment lesson done with Ormande asap then take it from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

I think something needs to be done about this by the governing bodies. SJI and all the others will gladly take your membership money but I dont see them lobbying the government to make this whole process easier. Towing a horse box is not rocket science and I doubt there are too many accidents due to bad horse box driving. I do have an issue on the other hand about Horse box condition and load to weight ratio of cars jeeps.

Instead of worrying about and prosectuing decent people for not having the correct letter on their licence I think the following two issues should be addressed.

1) Horse Box Condition:

We have all seen dangerous and badly maintained boxes. I have seen people transfer horses in boxes with rotten wooden floors. This is not only potential very dangerous but also disgustingly cruel. Having a horse fall through a floor is a horrible thing to witness for the kids or the people who have to put the animal down.

On a safety note Horse boxes should be serviced every twelve months for brakes, tyres etc. This is far more important a safety issue than whether you have the right licence to reverse around a corner.

2) weight ratio

I have a big problem with regular cars towing an ifor williams 510 with two horse in it. This is suicide. If you need to stock a toyota corolla or avensis with two animals and the trailer, the trailer weight laden is going to be greater than the car. This will then push the car foward not allowing it to stock in time for what ever reason. Only larger heavier cars, jeeps and pick ups should be allowed tow a fully laden box. Again I think this is a far greater issue.

I wont be able to do it today but I will contact the different bodies and ask what is their official line on the matter and how are they representing the people who pay their fees every year. I will inform you of their replies.

On a final matter did anyone read the full supplement in the field regarding towing last week? I havent had a chance to read it, was there any mention of all of this in it???

Regards,

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

twomeys wrote: »
    On a final matter did anyone read the full supplement in the field regarding towing last week? I havent had a chance to read it, was there any mention of all of this in it???

I only had a quick skim of it, and I don't recall seeing anything about licensing - as far as I remember, most of it was just an FAQ type supplement regarding the introduction of the new course.

Advertisement