Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice needed. Waiting on BTEA

Options
  • 29-08-2011 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Ok im stuck and dont know what to do.

I went to college last year. Lived of savings as i wasn't entitled to the grant and i left a job so no BTEA. I did a level 5 course in a PLC college. Finished in may and signed on and got the dole for the summer. I am hoping to return to college in 2 weeks time to do a level 6 course in a PLC college. They are separate courses. Since its considered second level i only have to be on the dole 3 months to receive the BTEA.

I applied at the end of july. I called in loads of times to see what the story was and i was told i just have to wait. Only today i was told that they received the application and i could be waiting another 2 weeks until i hear back. I start in two weeks.

So im kind of stuck in that i didnt want to start the course without knowing where the money is going to come from. And i dont know if il be approved or not. I was told they will still give me the dole until i hear something from them, when im back in college. Hearing back from them in two weeks time is too late, sure im in college then.

My main problem is living expenses during the year. I have the problem of finding accommodation. I was hoping to get it sorted before the course starts but i dont want to be signing a lease, paying a deposit and month's rent. And then be told im not entitled to the BTEA.

I was thinking of staying in a hostel for the first week or two until i hear back about the BTEA in that way i wont have a lease. If i get it, it'll be great, i can get a place.
    But if i dont what do i do? What are my options. I cant afford college. I would have to drop out and get the dole and move back home again.
    By the sounds of this, you would think im going abroad. Im not its just to the other side of the country.
    I do have a bit of savings left. Very small bit. But not enough to see me through to xmas. I dont want to be wasting all the savings i have left on rent and dropping out and moving home and have nothing left.

If they were to tell me now if they'll give it to me, it would be so much better. I am so stressed out about this.

What do i do? Stay in a hostel the first week and wait? If i get it, i find accommodation. If i dont, i dont have enough savings to see me through the year. I will have to drop out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Call in to your local social welfare office and seek the name of the facilitator, if possible speak to this person or e-mail or phone them explaining your dilemma.

From your post, it appears that you meet the required ctiteria for BTEA, but to reiterate, the facilitator is the best person to contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Do they dig deeper into the applications, anyone know? Cause i didnt put down the diploma i already have just in case they refuse me. I have read that they do sometimes accept people that already holds a degree. This is why im worrying, i dont know if i will get it cause of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

If you already have a diploma you are not entitled to Btea, to attend a level 5 course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

They will find out,all colleges are obliged now by law to forward details of all students to dole offices.Catching scammers is their priority these days.:eek:

Advertisement