Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weimaraner - 2nd dog research

• 29-08-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im starting to research for my 2nd dog - a Weimaraner bitch and plan to buy one at the start of next year. It will be only used as a pet and company for my 8 month old husky.

So im just wondering does anyone have one and what are they like as pets? Would you recommend them?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What sort of work do you plan on doing with these 2 dogs OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have little experience of them, they are lovely dogs, but anyone I spoke to that owned one said they were really hard work, very highly strung, and prone serious separation anxiety.
    One guy even had a pair and said he thought they'd keep each other company, instead they both got terrible anxiety problems, he was only leaving them for a maximum 3 hours.
    This man tried agility with them and liked to take them running, they would run with him no problem, but even though they are very smart, he struggled with the agility. They just wanted to be by his side all the time and didn't like to loose sight or move to far away from him. He described them as being like his jealous/psychotic girlfriends.
    I have only ever met 6 or 7 of them, but each owner had a similar story.
    I always thought I'd like one until I started meeting them, beautiful dogs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Work?? As in exercise. My husky at the moment gets walk/jogged twice daily and sleeps all day. He is very happy dog.
    Me and my girlfriend always planned on getting a 2nd dog when the 1st is a year old so we want something with the same level of energy as a husky and both of us love the Weimaramer breed

Yes work, your pup is only 8 months old, an adult husky needs to run. . . for miles. Weimaraners are highly strung gun dogs, they need to be directed in a very focused way and need mental stimulation. These are both serious working dogs that both need to do serious work but they are very different dogs so you'll need a solid plan of action as to what you are going to do with each of them. A walk twice a day isn't going to even take the edge off an adult husky. I think these two breeds would be a terrible match for each other, I'd expect to come home and find the house falling down around them if each of them doesn't get enough exercise and stimulation.

If you do a search for 'Weimaraner' on Boards you'll find a lot of the threads are in the hunting forum and most of the rest are looking for advice on dogs with serious aggression issues because they have been bought by people who are not capable of providing them with enough exercise and stimulation. Huskies are being dumped all over the country for the same reason.

If I were in your position I'd be doing a lot more research and putting some serious thought into whether or not you have 4 hours plus day in, day out to spend training and working these dogs. One of these breeds on its own is enough for most rational people.

Honestly I'd be either looking for a second dog with much more in common with the husky in terms of its needs or something much more laid back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm still a but new to this and working off an iPhone so maybe someone can advise: I've just done a search for Weimaramer on boards and have only thrown up one result; on tail docking.

???

• Advertisement

You've spelt it wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Ha ha thanks! That would help!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There are a lot more, many on the hunting forum, but my search threw up few on aggression and other problems.
    All say they are very highly strung.
    I don't think a husky and a weimaraner are a good mix, if anything I would be going with a calmer breed to go with the husky. Calm but energetic enough to play with the husky.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Op, I've got 3weimaraners and two cockers and have no problems at all. People who say the Weimaraner is highly strung is either a) never had one and is going on hearsay or b) had one and didn't train it properly and let it away with anything it did wrong. Once you go through a good obedience course with the dog and stick to the same "rules" with the dog your laughing. My dogs (well most of them) are used for working also and I can tell you one thing, they don't need this mad amount if exercise people tell you about. Mine get a walk of probally two miles most evenings but they are let loose on the walk in fairness. The only time you'll run into trouble with anygun dog breed is if it's locked up all day every day and it doesn't get out ie they need stimulation as they are very intelligent.
    I will say however that even though weimaraners mix very well with other breeds I don't know how well they would mix with a husky ie Weimaraner is easy to look after but how easy is a husky if you know where I'm coming from.
    <mod snip - no sales allowed>

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭juanyjuans

• Advertisement
Advertisement